1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

BSL - Not Just Pitbulls, Yours Could Be Next!

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by Nell_Bell, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Nell_Bell

Nell_Bell Big Dog

BSL – Not Just Pitbulls, Yours Could Be Next!

Monday, August 31st, 2009 By Admin - Deanna
    When people think about BSL – Breed specific Legislation, they automatically think “pitbull.” Some of the slightly more knowledgable know that it also affects other breeds such as Rottweilers, Dobermen, Akitas, Chow and wolf-hybrids to name a few but very few people know that BSL in the US actually affects at least 75 different breeds of dogs and not just specific “breeds” but is dogs are also affected based on how their “look” because some breeds are not easily identifiable, the pitbull for instance, so any dog that resembles what the “Powers that be” think a pitbull looks like is automatically grouped in the ban, just for safety’s sake, of course.
    From URDOG
    The following list contains dog breeds, in alphabetical order, that are either banned from ownership, or restricted so as to make ownership more difficult than owning other breeds, in legislation either passed, proposed, or tabled in venues throughout the United States of America. The breeds are listed by name exactly as they appear in legislation. Redundancy, or misnaming is due to the wording of codes, and/or ordinances. Some breeds are named specifically, some breeds are included by physical description. All dogs are subject to being named.
    1.AIREDALE TERRIER
    2.AKBASH
    3.AKITA
    4.ALAPAHA BLUE BLOOD BULLDOG
    5,ALASKAN MALAMUTE
    6.ALSATIAN SHEPHERD
    7.AMERICAN BULLDOG
    8.AMERICAN HUSKY
    9.AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER
    10.AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER
    11.AMERICAN WOLFDOG
    12.ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD
    13.ARIKARA DOG
    14.AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG
    15.AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD
    16.BELGIAN MALINOIS
    17.BELGIAN SHEEPDOG
    18.BELGIAN TURVUREN
    19.BLUE HEELER
    20.BOERBUL
    21.BORZOI
    22.BOSTON TERRIER
    23.BOUVIER DES FLANDRES
    24.BOXER
    25.BULLDOG
    26.BULL TERRIER
    27.BULL MASTIFF
    28.CANE CORSO
    29.CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOG
    30.CAUCASIAN SHEPHERD
    31.CHINESE SHAR PEI
    32.CHOW-CHOW
    33.COLORADO DOG
    34.DOBERMAN PINSCHER
    35.DOGO DE ARGENTINO
    36.DOGUE DE BORDEAUX
    37.ENGLISH MASTIFFS
    38.ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIEL
    39.ESKIMO DOG
    40.ESTRELA MOUNTAIN DOG
    41.FILA BRASILIERO
    42.FOX TERRIER
    43.FRENCH BULLDOG
    44.GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG
    45.GOLDEN RETRIEVER
    46.GREENLAND HUSKY
    47.GREAT DANE
    48.GREAT PYRENEES
    49.ITALIAN MASTIFF
    50.KANGAL DOG
    51.KEESHOND
    52.KOMONDOR
    53.KOTEZEBUE HUSKY
    54.KUVAZ
    55.LABRADOR RETRIEVER
    56.LEONBERGER
    57.MASTIFF
    58.NEOPOLITAN MASTIFF
    59.NEWFOUNDLAND
    60.OTTERHOUND
    61.PRESA DE CANARIO
    62.PRESA DE MALLORQUIN
    63.PUG
    64.ROTTWEILER
    65.SAARLOOS WOLFHOND
    66.SAINT BERNARD
    67.SAMOYED
    68.SCOTTISH DEERHOUND
    69.SIBERIAN HUSKY
    70.SPANISH MASTIFF
    71.STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER
    72.TIMBER SHEPHERD
    73.TOSA INU
    74.TUNDRA SHEPHERD
    75.WOLF SPITZ

Is yours included on this list?? I can tell you right now that mine are, English Springer Spaniels, a breed known for friendliness, nicknamed the “velcro dog” because of their attachment and bonding to their person. This I can personally vouch for!
    One of the scariest things, aside from the fact that BSL exists in the first place and every day you hear more and more idiots clamoring to jump on the BSL bandwagon because of hype and myths and irresponsible owners, is that once BSL for one breed is passed in a community, it’s very easy for another breed to be added… and another… and another… often without even informing the community beforehand.
    Y’know, most people who advocate BSL, specifically pitbulls, couldn’t even pick a pitbull out of a lineup. One of my favorite thing to do when someone talks to me about pitbulls, some who buys into the BS and hype, I ask them if they even know what a pitbull looks likes, considering “pitbull” isn’t even a breed but a blanket tern that can cover a number of breed or breed mixes. Can you? Do you think you could pick a pitbull out of a lineup? Ok, try it! Click HERE, see if you can pick out the 1 from the 25 then come back and let me know how you did.
    One of the worst things about BSL is that it hasn’t even really made a difference in communities that have enacted it. Does BSl really work?
    Now lets talk about Denver and BSL. Denver has been at the forefront since they enacted BSL in 1989. There were two attacks, one in 1986 which resulted in the death of a young child and another in 1989. The ban was in effect from 1989-2004 when Gov. Bill Owens signed a bill prohibiting local municipalities from enacting breed-specific legislation. Denver challenged the bill and BSL was back in Denver.
    Since 2005 at least 1667 pitbulls have been killed but there is still a question of whether BSL is working there. Have there been any more pitbull attacks? No… but then there were only two to start with.
    What about other dog bites of attacks? Yup, and it’s quite interesting too.
    Between 1995 and 2006, Denver had almost six times as many dog-related hospitalizations compared to Boulder, even though Denver’s population is less than twice that of Boulder. During that 12-year period, Denver experienced 273 dog-related hospitalizations, while Boulder experienced only 46, according to statistics provided by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
    By the way, Boulder has no BSL.
    In the Denver metro area, what is the most dangerous breed? Believe it or not, Labrador Retrievers.
    Labrador retrievers are the most likely dog to bite, at 13.3 percent, according to data provided by the Colorado Association of Animal Control Officers and released last week by the Coalition for Living Safely with Dogs.
    Pit bulls follow, at 8.4 percent, which is then followed by German shepherds at 7.8 percent.
    The likelihood of a dog to bite also has to do with the popularity of the breed. Labrador retrievers are an extremely popular breed. But Michaela DeGraw, spokeswoman for the Colorado Veterinary Medical Association, points out that labradors are biting more than pit bulls, and there’s no ban on labs.
    “Are we going to ban labs just because they are at the top of the list?” asked DeGraw. “I think not.”
    Karen Delise, founder and director of research for the National Canine Research Council, said breed-specific legislation does nothing to educate owners on their responsibilities for owning a dog. She said without that component, there is no way to keep dog bites down.
    “I find it interesting that the only area, region, county or city in Colorado with a breed ban happens to be the only county with a higher than normal rate of dog bite hospitalizations,” she said. “The breed ban isn’t working, it’s not addressing education or irresponsible owners.”
    Englewood Mayor Jim Woodward said his city decided against breed-specific legislation because the research he conducted indicated that banning pit bulls would not cut back on dog bites. Because Englewood wanted a component that involved educating and holding owners responsible for their actions, it decided last summer to beef-up its dangerous dog laws rather than impose a ban.
    “I have not seen any proof that (breed-specific legislation) is the way to go,” said Woodward. “I think what we have come up with is much more progressive.”
    The mayor added that in speaking with code enforcement officers, they find the stricter dangerous dog ordinance much more effective because it supplies them with additional tools to go after irresponsible owners, as well as educate the owners on their mistakes. (Denver Daily News)
    Even Denver Animal Control Director Doug Kelley can’t come out and say that BSL is actually working.
    Do you see what that says? Labrador retrievers are the dog most likely to bite. A dog well known as a family dog, friendly, intelligent, highly trainable and one of, if not the most, popular breed in the US today. Does this mean Labs should be banned in the Denver Metro area?
    Interestingly enough, Denver is actually considering revising the ban after all these years, not ending BSL, just making is possible for some owners to have pitbulls in Denver providing they follow some strict guidelines.
    “It wouldn’t really be the ban going away,” said Madison. “It would be an amendment to the ban saying that if you do these steps you can get a permit for a pit bull in the city.”
    Madison said anyone wanting to own a pit bull within Denver city limits would be required to attend obedience classes, obtain a $1 million insurance policy and agree to home inspections, just to name a few. She said it’s a compromise for pit bull owners and those who do not want the breed in the city. (The Denver Channel)
    With the some of the toughest and longest standing breed specific legislation, will Denver’s rethinking of BSL cause other communities to take a second look? We can hope but I don’t hold my breath as I see more and more communities discussing it and passing it.
    But the bottom line and point I want to make here, before you jump on the BSL bandwagon, think! It may be pitbulls today, but tomorrow… who knows? Maybe the lovable Labrador retreiver. Somewhere in the US the Lab is already a banned breed, will it hit your community next? What breed of dog or dogs ahre your home? Will they be next? Are they already banned somewhere?
    Take a second to read about the BSL Virus and beware!! It can affect anyone, anywhere, anytime!!
    http://fortheloveofthedogblog.com/animal-advocacy/bsl-not-just-pitbulls-yours-could-be-next-video

2. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Re: BSL – Not Just Pitbulls, Yours Could Be Next! VIDEO

That's absolutely amazing,I'm against BSL affecting any breed.But I was really shocked about the blue heeler being on the list.Would of never thought that.

3. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

not a big fan of the website you got this from. They are against animal ownership, they believe people should have guardianship of animal, but not own them. They are also anti-tethering, and view it as cruel in any form. They also are against breeders in a serious way, they see breeders as the root of the so-called "over population crisis" in shelters nationwide.....not irresponsible owners, but the breeders. I am quite surprised they are taking a stand against breed specific legislation, they are a bunch of animal rights extremists.

4. Nell_Bell

Nell_Bell Big Dog

Thanks Pitbull219!. That was my fault for not looking at the source (long day at work) :o.

But there is a lot of good info in this particular post so I will leave it with the above caveat from you. ;)

5. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

Re: BSL – Not Just Pitbulls, Yours Could Be Next!

I know some will ask once more where I read it and it must have been a Stratton book or Semitic book but years ago the Poor class pheasant people could only own small dogs or if it was a large dog the owner had to have a knee tendon cut on one leg to keep it , the reason was they did not want the poor class to have dogs to poach with.. (That’s how some very strong small dogs came about) This list and a growing list I assume is kind of the same thing, an attempt to take our freedom to have good strong dogs to protect our families and lives.
    If it was up to some people the general public would have only toy dogs and no guns
    And then we would be that much more vulnerable to a successful invasion from internal or external anti American groups. The right to own a strong dog is a freedom !!
    An American freedom

Attached Files:

6. Harvey

Harvey Big Dog

AIREDALE TERRIER!!?? FOX TERRIER!!?? FROG BULLDOGS!!?? REALLY!? WTF!?

I had no idea there were so many dog breeds falling under the BSL umbrella; I'd always just figured it was APBTS, Staffys and other "pit bull-type dogs." I guess I'm not as much of a conscious citizen as I originally assumed I was.

I'm pretty-much a "pit bull only" man, not much of a "dog person" with any other breed of dog, I'll be the first to admit that. But I've met a few Airedales and they're great dogs if that's what you like. And I know a couple of guys in the informal dog club we're starting that like their Frog Dogs and Bostons, and they're cool dogs, too.

So many people enjoy so many of the dogs on that list, not just Pit Bulls... I had no idea the bastards were campaigning against them too.

Am I just being all "Grassy Knoll, Tinfoil Hat" when I say that it seems to me, based on this list, that BSL is, in effect, a campaign to ban the keeping of any and ALL dogs, slowly, one breed or two at a time?

I*grid N*wkirk and P*TA speak out against the breeding and owning of dogs, she even spearheads an initiative to put many tens-of-thousands of pets to sleep each year. This little "list" reeks of that same initiative, the extinction of all dogs. One dog at a time.

I mean f*ck! GOLDEN RETRIEVER!!?? Those dogs have the softest mouth of any dog out there! How the HELL can they be considered dangerous? Sure, some are prone to getting bitey, but what the hell, it ain't like getting bit by a Malinois and those Belgians aren't particularly "vicious" either... this is madness.

7. Gamebull

Gamebull Pup

BSL is just like what happened in Spain 3 years ago, It is just crazy. Politicals made that here too because of what the saw in the news,"commercial". And now there is no more "killer dogs", but the truth is that the situation still just the same, the bad owners that were doing illegal things keep doing it, they don´t get any licenses or whatever, and the owner that loves the dog, and takes responsibilities does get the license, but it makes no differences because those proud and lover owners were doing the right things to theirs pets.
    Just let you know that police is going crazy because of the different breeds, because most of police here don´t have any knowledge of different breeds and they mistake for example pitbulls with retrievers, so they make a lot of trouble for everyone that has a dog.

8. XXLbully

XXLbully Big Dog

yep BSL is a pain in the a$$ almost allover Europe but you can still own pitbulls, remember it my friend. Some other parts of Europe put a TOTAL ban on the APBT. they want the breed to go extinct. I hope it gets better though for you all neighbors across the Pyrénées ;)

9. Gamebull

Gamebull Pup

You are right and I´m so glad to own my pitbull I just hate the discrimination on this breed, I just can´t believe how much ignorance has turn against this dogs.
    I just wish the best to americans and their dogs :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2009