1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Bsl Passed By 1 Vote In Va

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by newbieturtlepits, May 20, 2007.

1. well they passed it....by one...i believe had more people fought it , maybe it wouldnt have made it thru..the govt was very quiet about it so it got by without much notice.....

now they are attempting to make the next step

making it a law for all veternarians to report the names and address of pitbulls that have been tended to ....for shots or wounds
    so they can track them down and the owners in the case they are voted illegal and become the next state to destroy the breed

they are also making a try at making the registries give up information on the owners of certain breeds--pitbulls-- in order to trace them back and fine them that have more dogs in thier name than the locality allows
    so if you have more than 4 dogs in your name ..whether some are family dogs or show dogs..
    you will get fined and they will be removed from your possession

recently in the news a well known sports star had 60 dogs removed from his property....he said he never stays there...and his cousin had the dogs
    they stupidly took recordings of the dog fighting they held on a regular basis
    all the pits were removed and will be destroyed

sad to think but soon virginia i think will be the next state to outlaw the breed
    my dogs will be registered pre july 1st and perhaps can be grandfathered as my brother stated....down the road theres still some homes where livestock can be had until they die...due to grandfather law that states ....that , them that are already there get to stay there until they die ..however none can be added to the lot ...it precludes the new laws...i will look into it as i would like to keep my brood...irritating as they are , they are still my babies .....

best of luck to all

2. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

Thats a damn shame! Of course they kept it quiet. I am changing my dogs Vet Records They are now Medium Mixes. Just in case they try that shit here.

3. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Is it a state-level law? Do you know if a copy of the bill is posted where we can read it? Email contacts?

4. CRG

CRG Top Dog

Do you have a link to this or somewhere i can view this?

5. Suki

Suki Guest

that sux! :( really sorry to be reading this...
    no doubt=there's strength in numbers!

6. friend of mine in the district attorney office gave me the news
    i believe some of the links we already have still work
    i will have to backtrack to get the exact one that shows the vote

currently they are attempting to get the data base into law this
    is from the adba emails this is what i got...for that one

proposed action on kaines desk

That's the fear of some, who point to a new law -- now sitting on Governor Kaine's desk to be signed -- that requires Virginia veterinarians to furnish city and county treasurers with detailed information about every animal receiving a rabies vaccination, including how many dogs a person owns, whether the animal being licensed is spayed or neutered, and the breed of the dog.

Beginning January 1, 2008, County treasurers will use this database to prepare and mail annual dog licensing bills to pet owners, just as they do now with real-estate and personal property taxes.

The purpose of the Virginia legislation appears to be to increase revenue by making sure all dogs are taxed and licensed. This money, in turn, will fund more dog catchers and spay-neuter programs within the state.

The problem is that this Virginia database can also be used for many other purposes, including helping pass and enforce breed-specific bans, mandatory pet sterilization laws, and per-house dog limits.

What is transparently clear is that the types of information being collected goes far beyond what is needed for simple tax collection purposes.

Dog vaccine databases such as this one may be the first step toward mandatory microchipping -- something both the AKC and the veterinarians will support, as both will make money on the deal; the AKC by selling microchips, and the veterinarians by implanting them.

Rest assured that this new "gotcha" dog database will NOT be kept private -- it will be sold to direct mail companies working for animal rights groups, and it will be given to animal control officers who will sort it by zip code, breed, number of dogs, and number of unspayed or unneutered dogs.

Do you have four dogs in a three-dog area? Expect a knock-knock visit from an Animal Control officer no matter how quiet and discreet you are -- and then choose which dog you will give up.

This database will also be attractive to insurance industry executives who will use it to deny coverage or raise insurance rates on folks who own certain "blacklisted" breeds such as Rottweilers, Dobermans, Pitbulls or even Collies.

So what can you do if you live in Virginia and this law passes? Here are five options:

1. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 12pt">Give your vet the wrong address. This is easy to do, and your vet doesn't need your address anyway. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 12pt">Get your dog vaccinated out side the state. If you live near Maryland , West Virginia , North Carolina or Tennessee , take your dog with you on an outing to a country vet. A rabies vaccine is good for three years, so you will not have to do this very often. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 12pt">Get your dogs licensed before July 1, 2007 and make sure your vet does not send your contact information to the state. If you have to fill out a form, give your work address and your work phone number. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 12pt">Find a vet that is willing to ignore this stupid law. The penalty for ignoring the law is only $10 per dog, and there is almost no chance the State will audit a veterinarian. If a vet want to keep you as a customer, he or she should be willing to follow your instructions and preserve your privacy.
    2. Order your rabies vaccines by mail and give your dog the vaccine yourself. The cost of a 10-dose RabVac3 vial of serum that is good for dosing up to 10 dogs is just $12, and it's very easy to do. For more information on "vaccines for less," click here. Be sure to peal off the label on the vaccine bottle and fix it to your dog's paperwork -- it's not legal proof that a vaccine was given, but it should help if your dog ever bites someone. A rabies titer can provide further proof of vaccination if that is every required.
    The most important thing you can do right now, however, is to ask Virginia Governor Kaine to veto this bill.

This stupid legislation passed the Virginia legislature by only one vote. If the blow-back from voters and veterinarians is serious enough this week, this law may yet be vetoed.

For more information , see the Virginia Hunting Dog Owner's Association web site.

. Please visit Web Site at www.adba.cc and direct questions and comments to bstofshw@adba.cc

7. CRG

CRG Top Dog

That is not a BSL that is for all breeds.

8. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

Let me see if i got this correctly,They can force the registries and vets to give up info on people?If so that is so terrifying,and not just because of the dogs.That is just..wow.We as americans need to stand up and fight against this ever increasing government control over our lives,our property,and our rights.That"law"is a legalized witch hunt,nothing more.I for one find it absoluetly terrifying that some official I dont even know can call the A.D.B.A,and find out how many dogs I have,where I live,then proceed to come to my house,take my pets and kill them for no reason.Not to mention the fact of how many people will stop seeking veterinary care for their pets now.This just really blows my mind.Nothing good will come of this governmet intrusion into our personal lives.I used to joke with my husband about saving a couple hundred grand and moving to mexico.That "joke" is starting to become more and more of a plan.

9. this one is step two

other one passed already

as far as microchip
    extra cost to license
    mandatory spay nueter
    and such......
    now its just the effective date that awaits to be
    assigned ....i didnt get that info yet

so i plan to have my dogs vaccinated the three year
    and license them as little mutts
    right now fortunately the local pet store doesnt
    care what is on the paper to vaccinate
    that will keep my dogs under the radar for 3 years
    at which time im moving to carolina anyway
    they are much more accepting of privacy and the dogs
    selling my place should allow me a farmette i can keep
    them on without bothering neighbors

hope everyone else has good luck finding a solution

on june 2nd the local harley davidson riders will be
    riding the hogs for dogs run to raise money locally for
    pet adoption.....their mascot is a pitbull...i will be passing
    out flyers to them to make the new law and proposed ones
    to them because they are a huge group that can begin an
    active roll in repealing the law that passed
    if action is taken now and the people speak loud
    we do have a chance of turning it around

hope anyone else in this position is also taking action to
    find powerful allies to help the cause.....

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2007
  10. Michele

Michele Guest

that is just disgusting.......

11. Phebes

Phebes Guest

I am curious why none of the rescue groups in Va are aware of this?
    I spent yesterday at an APBT show up in Middleburg and no one mentioned anything about this.
    And there is nothing about this here and they are good at updating info: http://tidewaterkc.org/valaws.htm

12. CRG

CRG Top Dog

I'm in va also and have not heard anything on this either. Not saying that it is not true but stuff like this is usally all over the news. You would think you would have heard more about it because it goes for all breeds.

13. yeah thats where i saw it was up for vote
    then when i asked my friend months ago
    she said it was passed
    and shes a govt lawyer

14. Suki

Suki Guest

[​IMG]newbieturtlepits :

can you PM me with any info regarding the Harley Riders and their run? The link to their site, if they have one?
    I'd like to use it as a reference to get something up around this way, started. That'd be cool

It's a GREAT idea and a good cause, not to mention a good mascot!;)
    Tx!

15. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

All I can say is it sucks and getting closer to me everyday!

16. Marty

Marty Guest

CRG this is exacly what they want... nobody to know anything till its all over with :(

17. Suki

Suki Guest

ain't THAT the truth?!!!!
    last year, i thought the "next city over" was bad...
    this year, my ENTIRE state could be affected... [​IMG]

so, yeah, just when you think "it could never happen to you", ....

18. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

Thats messed up if they try to sneak it pass by keeping it quiet. Not giving anyone a chance to fight it.

19. MIKA

MIKA Big Dog

Now this communist shit has to stop!!! This is what our tax dollars are paying for? We're paying these B*****DS to take control of our animals! This is gettin to close to home for me!! Time to move out of the good ole USA and head to China I guess. :mad:

20. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

Really Mika, I don't think China is a good option. They still have big concentration camps in China and use slave labor, so I hope you look at the labels of stuff you buy...
    I'm glad I belong to this forum so I can hear about this stuff and write letters against it when I can.