1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Bullsnaps on a chain spot

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by cliffdog, Sep 21, 2011.

1. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

What is your opinion of using bullsnaps on a chain spot? Or any kind of snap. For the sake of convenience, are these secure to add to the chain spot of an active dog?

I have considered bullsnaps or a locking carabiner like this:
    [​IMG]

2. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

I wouldn't use anything that can open, its just a matter of time before the wear and tear breaks them down

3. postmandan

postmandan Big Dog

well i recon this will get a lots ofbutt chewing on me but oh well' - i have bullsnaps on quite a few of my dogs. i've been told they are accidents waiting to happen. well i've used them over 30 years with a few accidents. they was my fault for not watching them anycloser.Oh well nothing is perfect and i've seen just about any type fail so its just up to you. Dan

4. punch650

punch650 Big Dog

Can't stand to come home an c some one got lose use o rings buddy

5. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I don't use any kind of clasps. Just connect 2 o-rings with a cold shut and the only way the dogs getting off its chain is if its collars removed. Its as easy as taking a collar off to get your dog.

Bring a leash and another collar to put on the dog before removing its collar if you have multiple dogs in the same area.

6. chef_kergin

chef_kergin Big Dog

if for some odd reason bullsnaps are your only option, use two facing each other so when one fails (which it will) you'll have another one on there.

i use a quick link with loc-tite (sp?) and cranked it down as hard as i could with vice grips and a piece of rebar. it was shown to me a few years ago by a guy who keeps many dogs without accidents (swivel -> quick link -> d-ring on collar). has been my choice of set up for over two years now after one of the caribeaners that i had facing each other gave out.

edit - like AGK said, have an extra collar and leash to take your dog off it's tie out, that's what we do now.gl

7. skratchr81

skratchr81 Big Dog

thats a no no. accident waiting to happen

8. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Big Dog

bullsnaps will fail no doubt about it. I only use them for temporary tie outs.

9. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

If you're going to use bullsnaps then i'd suggest using two facing opposite directions like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

never had an issue when setup this way although now i use o ring through collar.

10. hardluck

hardluck Banned

thats a very good idea there Naus. i never seen that done like that. very nice!

11. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Big Dog

those in the pic are not bullsnaps

12. hardluck

hardluck Banned

he asked about hook snaps and bullsnaps. the hook snap is shown in the picture of the 1st post. the way Naus is using it is very nice and probably should be the only way to use one securely.

13. northdogger

northdogger Big Dog

O-ring through the collar is the best way to go. Agk said it well

14. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

Thanks for all the responses. Good answers. Before this thread I was leaning toward o-rings in the collars, looks like that's the general consensus. That's a good idea though, Naus.

15. Limey kennels

Limey kennels CH Dog

Bullsnaps open to the outside. they are the best for a dog on the chain useing 2 facing etchoder wil eliminate problems . having said that WE used to have kennels with the bars gab around 3 inches. and used thick plasticoated chikenwire weaved tru the Bars.
    we also had 2, 7yard long running chains. we rotated the dogs every so often. this will limit chain ore kennel acsidends bij 99%. and wil keep them far away from kennel/chain stress syndrome. O rings are bullit proof, unfortunatly the Colars wil wear out quiker when you take them regulair of the chain !!!.

16. old goat

old goat CH Dog

safest way to keep a dog and not have something happen is to use a 3/8 swivel and 2 2 1/2 inches o rings . the bullsnaps and quicklinks will fail and it want be good .and what naus is using is going to have a problem 1 day . 2 words heavy swivels . don't have something you can pull open .