1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Buying grown dogs...

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by 21 dre, Oct 17, 2012.

1. 21 dre

21 dre Big Dog

What's your philosophy behind this? Do yo do it? Just wondering why would anyone sell a so-called good one that's 21/22 months old for reasons other than the outright obvious.

2. They wouldn't well that's my opinion why would somebody sell a good prospect? But saying that I guess some people don't have the time in a lot of cases depends on how many dogs and space they have. There's pro's and con's to buying a older dog there is some honest dogmen still out there. Sometimes just got to take a shot in the dark.

3. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

i am very skeptical about buying adult dogs....even 20 month old prospects...it is a buyer-beware market....i have sold two dogs and both were from extreme circumstances...the first was the biggest mistake i ever made in dogs...and time will tell on the other....the first i oldp because i had a play date set with his sister and the hot water heat burst while at work....come home to a dry well, and no floor in the back half of the house....sometimes homeowners is not all it is cracked up to be....second, and more recently, thought i was moving and had to cut the dogs back to make the move...new place did not have the room...so there are reasons that are legit....but buying a near grown dog does not give me the warm fuzzies...US1

4. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

I have had good luck in taking on two older male dogs. Both taken on around a year. I am usually the type to raise a pup with the family, but the APBT has opened my eyes to the fact that an APBT will click into super smart/survival mode when introduced to a new place. That changed my mind to possibly taking older grown dows. Now -a pup is still a pup around a year.
    Also - You will be able to tell what the animal lacks and still have time to work on those issues.

Its about the dog and what it has seen in that year that will matter.

5. garth

garth Big Dog

My first dogs dogs where older dogs,had seen them work and asked their owner if he would sell yes
    was his anwser.I've obtain pups also some had to be culled.IMO if I had to buy a dog now it would be an older one.

6. ragedog10

ragedog10 Top Dog

Me personally I like getting a little older dog, just recently we had a male we were trying to move because we just had a litter and lacked space the dog was a good, we also own his brother and it was like pulling teeth.I would never give some one a bad dog under the pretense it was a good one it has been done to me and I would'nt do it to someone else. Yis Ole Man

7. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

for the same reasons you sell a pup. except you can charge based on the truth & not a hope & dreams. it's verry easy to justify 5k purchase when you see what your getting. that's the advantage to buyers & sellers when dealing with the truth. grown dogs are based on marits only. really dont understand why folks want pups. only to invest 5k over 3 years on the unknown. whoops i forget every litter nowadays is all game ch bound. check the websites lol.

8. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Not every grown dog is gold. Many aren't sold on merit. I'll buy a grown dog though, pups suck.

Some people sell grown animals because they don't have the time, space, possibly want/need the money.

9. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

If you see the grown dog,you at least have an idea what it is. Why would someone sell a good prospect,that's easy,for money.Keep laying money on the table and most things have a price. Or maybe someone is getting out of the dogs. Everyone has their reasons, I guess. Or possibly selling culls,lol It's different depending on the dog,who you're dealing with etc. If you never lay eyes on the grown dog,it's no different than buying a pup,but if you do then you can sort of see what you may be getting.

10. 21 dre

21 dre Big Dog

That's kinda what I was asking as far as the philosophy behind the practice...you've seen the dog, the circumstances are 100% true, getting out of dogs and things of that sort. We bought one that's put together really nice and he came with a pretty good deal of press. Got him back home and he did'nt quite equal the press but we did see some good. Probably would'nt go that route again though, unless the setting is a little different...

11. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

one mans cull could be another mans champ. good blood is always a good thing, but a lousy keeper and the best blood will not pan out either. Got to have the both parts.

12. JTC

JTC Big Dog

did this once, wont ever do it again. i wasted 1200 bucks trying to accomplish what i have been able to on my own with my own dogs.

13. allaboutpitbull

allaboutpitbull Big Dog

I believe a grown dog are the most honest ones they ether have what you are looking for or they don’t better than weighting two years to see if they are going to work out for you or not im pro grown dogs only down side you have to put in the time to get to know the dog and he might have bad habits Hopefully the breeder is stand up person and he tells you everything you need to know about the dog ask all the questions you may have

14. 87buick

87buick Top Dog

Some breeders breed and cull and then place bulldogs in capable hands. Some of the most famous conditioners sought out weights and bought dogs at ringside for weights of comp they wanted to go after. Older dogs has always been pretty much the way of some of the legends of past. Quality bulldogs for fastlane are not easy to come buy when you are limited to weights. You might have the worlds baddest 50lb and no takers for a few. So you shop at ringside for that weight you want to go after that 50lb hog. This is common practice. Gamblers dont wait for pups.

15. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

I would buy a grown dog only if I can see it work at least 2 times. I did get 2 dogs from a guy that came with a guarantee for replacement. They both turned out to be good dogs.

16. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

I would NEVER buy a pup. If im paying for a dog its a grown one that i have seen work or have heard how he works from trusted people. The reasons people sell grown dogs are the same reasons they sell pups but i think the reasons people sell GOOD grown dogs are different. The last 3 i bought were littermates. The first was purchased after seeing him enter and exit the woods on a hunt. That owner sold him because he said he didnt like the fact that he never saw the dog on the bottom. After the purchase of that one i went to the breeders wife who was given a list of prices from her husband to sell some of the dogs because he was in legal trouble. Those 2 were sold as prospects and all 3 are working out wonderfully.

17. 21 dre

21 dre Big Dog

Glad it worked out in you favor stinkrock. The jury is still out on this guy we have. We're giving him every chance we can to shine.

18. punch650

punch650 Big Dog

19. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

why on earth are folks buy grown dogs they don't really know about. i'll tell ya pappers,hersay & a reach around. but a fool & there $ parts easy. if your going to invest in these dogs don't you think you should use basic business principles? not direct @ anyone on GP.

20. NGK

NGK Top Dog

Alot of times peddlers can't sell what they breed as puppies so they put them on chain and sell them later as prospects, usually with some story about how it was the best one and thats why they hung onto it and thats why its worth so much. If your going to spend the money on a grown dog your best bet is to buy 1 from an honest friend.

NGK