1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Canidae: Putting it to the Test

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Rocky H. Balboa, Sep 27, 2005.

1. In recent posts, I have told you of my decision to change dog foods from PURINA DOW CHOW (Green bag) to CANIDAE. Dog Chow has been the kibble used since my dog was a puppy. I decided to make the change only b/c many "experienced" dogman/woman strongly support Canidae over most (if not all) dog food alternatives.

Thus, I have decided to put Canidae to the test.

Obviously, I know how my dog does under Dog Chow since it has been on it for around 3 1/2 year (possibly more). Thus, I will see if Canidae is worth $35 (40 lb bag) or if $15 (50 lb bag) dog chow is better by the "cost/benefit" formula.

I will post weekly comments, thoughts, and observations for recording purposes in this thread.

For your review, I have included the nutritional analysis of both products. Why am I not accounting for ingredients? Because at the end, we seek the best nutritional foods in the market not the nicest ingredients. In addition, I am pessimistic of company claims of having this or that ingredient in their product as that is not under government scrutiny. I am more confident of nutritional factors as they are monitored by FDA (It requires all foods to have nutritional analysis posted on their products).

Crude Protein: Purina Dow Chow: 21% vs Canidae: 24%
    Crude Fat: Purina Dow Chow: 10% vs Canidae: 14.50%
    Crude Fiber: Purina Dow Chow: 4.5% vs Canidae: 4%
    Moisture: Purina Dow Chow: 12% vs Canidae: 10%
    Linoleic Acid (Omega-6): Purina Dow Chow:1.5% vs Canidae: 3.70%
    Calcium: Purina Dow Chow: 1% vs Canidae: 1.20%
    Phosphorus: Purina Dow Chow: 0.8% vs Canidae: 0.90%
    Vitamin A: Purina Dow Chow:10,000 IU/kg vs Canidae: 0
    Alpha Linoleic Acid (Omega-3): Purina Dow Chow: 0% vs Canidae: 0.60%
    Vitamin E: Purina Dow Chow: 0 vs Canidae: 200 IU/Kg
    Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C): Purina Dow Chow: 0 vs Canidae: 50 mg/Kg
    Cellulase: Purina Dow Chow: 0 vs Canidae: 100 CMCU/Kg

Calorie Content:
    Metabolizable Energy (ME)
    Purina Dow Chow: 3701 Kcal/kg vs Canidae: 4103 Kcal/kg
    Purina Dow Chow: 1679 Kcal/lb vs Canidae: 1865 Kcal/lb
    Purina Dow Chow: 433 Kcal/cup vs Canidae: 466.25 Kcal/cup

Here are the feeding requirements:

Purina Dow Chow: 21-35 lbs: 1 1/3 - 2 cups
    Purina Dow Chow: 36-50 lbs: 2 - 2 2/3 cups
    VS
    Canidae: 25-50 lbs: 1- 2 cups

Thus, a 50 pound dog would eat 2 2/3 cups of dog chow (at most) or 2 cups of Canidae (at most)

Purina Dow Chow:50-75 lbs: 2 2/3 - 3 1/3 cups
    Vs
    Canidae: 50-75 lbs: 2 - 3 cups

Thus, a 75 lb dog will only need to eat an additional 1/3 of a cup if on Purina Dog Chow.

Rocky completed his 1st week on Canidae this Sunday, Sept. 26th, 2005. Prior, he stopped exercising 3 weeks before the change over. NO EXERCISE WILL BE DONE UNTIL 40 LB BAG OF CANIDAE IS FINISH. I do not wish to have exercise as a variable factor in this experiment.

I hope to see how changing dog food will affect my dog's health without having other factors involved. I hope to be able to intelligently assess the cost/benefit of buying Canidae over Purina Dow Chow at the end of this experiment.

Addendum 9/28/05

Find pictures showing how Rocky looked before commencement of this experiment and how he looks today.

I began reducing Rocky's food (Dog Chow) intake at the end of July (1st picture: 9/24/05). He weighed 62#.

Rocky weighed 58# on the second picture dated 8/21/05.

On the third picture he weighed 56# taken on 9/25/05.

The fourth picture was taken yesterday 9/27/05.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2005
  2. First week observation: Rocky's stool was soft (close to diarrhea) most of the week. I attribute this to changing of food. On the fourth to seventh day, stool looked normal. No reduction of stool amount notice. (Background info: I have clean up after my dog since puppyhood and know by 'feel' how much stool is released). Thus, I cannot endorse (at this point), less stool due to Canidae over Dog Chow. No change in energy level, coat appearance, breath, etc. Dog 'appears' a bit more hungry but unsure. I will keep an eye on his appetite level.

3. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

Are you sure you want to stop exercising your dog? I'm assuming that you gave your dog some exercise before you switched food. If that is the case, you shouldn't stop. These dogs absolutely need exercise.

4. I decided not to exercise him about 3-4 weeks before changing foods. I realize dogs need exercise but so do people. I do not want exercise to make a difference in his attitude, looks, or energy level. It will be tough but the experiment warrants tight control.

5. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

I don't mean to get all in your business but come on. Your dog shouldn't suffer for your experiment. It is a fact that Canidae is better than dog chow. You don't need to prove it. Give your dog the exercise he needs. I don't see the point of ending the dogs exercise 3-4 weeks prior to the switch either. You should have never stopped and the experiment would actually be good for the dog. It really doesn't make much sense.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2005
  6. Facts are facts until someone disproves them.

I am not stating either way. I am only doing this for the greater good. Also, I am not saying Canidae is not 'better', rather, I am trying to see if it is worth (cost/benefit) more than 200% than Dog Chow on the basis of nutritional and other factors.

I am not taking your thoughts as "getting in my business". In fact, I appreciate your thoughts.

7. B

B CH Dog

Canidae shines even brighter when you actually exercise your dog. I appreciate your approach but exercise is one thing you shouldn't stop regardless of feed. I agree with tommyt 100%.

Regards,

B

8. BnD, he would be on rest regardless of experiment or not. He was in an incident and now needs to heal before the public can see him. I am still walking him for about 45-60 minutes every night. I do not consider walking exercise.

9. jankab

jankab Top Dog

I agree with tommyt and B, I also like the idea of an experiment, but you know results from food change will take around 4 weeks to see...

10. Yes, I figured as much. On my original post I did state the experiment to be over at the end of the 40-lb bag which should be around 3 months from now. I think 3 months should be enough time to see the "net" effect of dog food change alone.

And again, the experiment is not to see which is better. It is to see if the cost of buying Canidae is worth more than twice the amount of let us say "Dog Chow". This is why I have included side to side comparisons of the nutritional analysis.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2005
  11. jankab

jankab Top Dog

Sorry I overlooked that! :o

12. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

Well i hope it all works out for you either way. Some dogs will do good on any food you give them and some don't. Canidae is a good proven food, that's why most reccomend it. I have used Canidae and of course loved it, but my dogs loved chicken soup better and they look and act the same...but then again, chicken soup doesn't compare to dog chow. Did you slowly switch over foods? or did you just change foods in one day? Exercise is a must too (when he does get well)..it's sorta like me using a 40$ per bottle shampoo for my hair and not brushing it...nothing really happens...brush it and there ya go...lol...i know, dumb comparison, but it's true..

13. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

Only a girl could compare dog food to shampoo. lol

14. nappydawg

nappydawg Top Dog

i know leave it to a blonde to go and compare shampoos to dog food lol buts its okay we will let the good looking ones slide right guys

15. jasong

jasong Big Dog

I think the experiment is a good idea. I also think that BnD and Tommy are thinking you aren't doing anything with your dog but letting him eat sleep and shi*. That doesn't seem to be the case b/c you are givng him some sort of physical activity. It may not be the same as before but it's still something. Good job and keep it up.

16. That is funny but true. only a girl would compare them. hehehe.

17. jankab

jankab Top Dog

LOL...Agreed!!

18. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

LMAO...if you were a girl and used good shampoo, you would know what i mean...lol..

19. nappydawg

nappydawg Top Dog

we let ya slide this time. well we probaly will next time on account of you being so pretty devien. no need to explain just smile and do a lil twirl for us and it will all be okay.

20. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

i just bought a bag of canidae yesterday and am gradually switching over so it WILL be interesting to see if the results are any different. I do have one question though for those who feed Canidae. I opened the bag and OMG it STINKS smells like nasty fish or something. Is this normal or did I get a bad bag ???