1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Canidae: Putting it to the Test

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Rocky H. Balboa, Sep 27, 2005.

1. I must add this before I forget:

On Monday 10th I did not feed Canidae, instead, I gave him 2 quarters of raw chicken with bone. On the 11th, he was not fed. On the 12th, he got 1 quarter of raw chicken in the morning and a rawhide bone at night.

Observation: When he eats raw chicken with bone, his stool amount is almost zero. This was my reason for not feeding on the 11th. I found this very interesting. It seems his body takes in all of the protein. Also, on the day I fed him the two quarters of chicken, he did not appear hungry for 1 1/2 days. Again, very interesting.

The reason why I fed him raw chicken was that I would have done so on occasion while feeding Dog Chow. Thus, I fed him this to keep everything as even as possible.

2. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

Hey yea and you are also keeping his teeth clean with that raw chicken w/ bones.

3. bam-bam's mom

bam-bam's mom Big Dog

hey i was always told chicken bones will splinter and cause intestional problems????

also, feeding raw chicken, arn't you afraid of the dog getten salmonila(sp)???

4. jankab

jankab Top Dog

Will splinter if cooked (thats why you have to feed raw)... Dogs stomachs have the necessary enzymes to break down the bacteria in chicken and other raw meats.

5. bam-bam's mom

bam-bam's mom Big Dog

;) thank you very much...

6. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

i have my dogs on Canidae now and I hate it. my dogs poop has recently started to smell like the food and its gross and they arent pooping any less than they were before. thier breath stinks now . and when they are eating in the kitchen the smell from the food is gross and i cant stand to even go in there. the only change I HAVE noticed that is good is that they are hardly sheding at all.

7. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

Yeah, every dog may not react well to it. My dog had gas and very flaky skin for the four months he was on it. I don't doubt that it works well with other dogs though. I have had real good results with Nature's Variety. It seems there are more or as many places carrying it than they do Canidae so it shouldn't be hard to find.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2005
  8. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

i have my dogs on Canidae now and I hate it.
    On the 27<SUP>th</SUP> of last month you said you just bought a bad and was gradually (which is not advisable) switching over. How can you expect a proper kibble to of rid the GI tract and other organs of the dog that quickly to of noticed a change? Especially given you gradually switched them meaning you were still feeding the cheap poisoned kibble. If you have feed “Rover” cheap kibble for 5 years, do you really think a premium kibble will suddenly change your error in kibble choices over night? Kibbles work from the inside out, not the other way around but if you’re all ready noticing improvements in your dogs coat, that should tell you something!

9. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

I wasnt feeding my dogs "cheap" kibble to begin with. They were on nutro natural choice chicken and oatmeal

10. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

I wasnt feeding my dogs "cheap" kibble to begin with. They were on nutro natural choice chicken and oatmeal
    Sorry to inform you-that’s nothing more than cheap, poison for a canine if you don’t’ believe me just look at the ingredients! <O:p</O:p

11. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

EVERYTHING to you is cheap poison so I'm not going to argue with you about it.

12. I am glad you mentioned "shedding" because I had forgotten (or did not think of it) to include this information. The shedding has reduced but flaking remains.

13. jasong

jasong Big Dog

Wait, is it just me or is this Tx Bulldog person just so negative toward everyone? How is he an administrator? I will never try canidae b/c it's so expensive to get it down here. Try the chicken soup stuff. It's great dog food and not to expensive. I'd like to hear him argue about that, or tell me that suff is poison. LOL

14. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

EVERYTHING to you is cheap poison so I'm not going to argue with you about it.
    I wholeheartedly disagree with your inaccurate statement; “everything to you is cheap poison”! Given there is a handful of quality kibbles out in the market place these days. Just most are like you, feeding cheap, poisoned kibble to you dogs under the false impression it’s a “great food” yet all one has to do it educate themselves and read the actual label on said dog food to see what they falsely claim is nothing more than cheap, unusable fillers for the dogs. That the manufacturers put in there for the sole purpose of gaining a greater profit margin, not for the betterment of a dog.
    Also I was not “arguing” with you or trying too! Just find it odd you’d make such outlandish statements (saying it wasn’t cheap kibble) without even looking at the ingredients or needs of the canine you were feeding.

Wait, is it just me or is this Tx Bulldog person just so negative toward everyone?
    It’s just you and your reading comprehension skills or lack there of! It gets old when individuals constantly make bold outlandish statements, without any knowledge and/or experience to back them up! So in order to prevent others from being lead down the wrong road by the misguided, ill informed – more experienced and knowledgeable members of this board try to inform them of the truth! People like to say this or that is great, yet when asked “why” they have no clue because they are just mimicking what they themselves were incorrectly told.

How is he an administrator?
    Because I know what I’m talking about! Unlike you and a host of others that like to parrot others and make outlandish statements. I and other members will answer a post and give our reasons for stating such based on factual evidence and/or our own experience with these dogs, not just make uneducated, blanketed statements!

I'd like to hear him argue about that, or tell me that suff is poison.
    I don’t argue anything just expect someone that makes a statement to be able to answer why they say such! If you would of taken the time to read past post and educate yourself you would of noticed over a year or so ago I’ve recommended Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover’s Soul to members or even asked a lot of them (member's) being they for whatever reason weren’t able to get Canidae in their area and asked for recommendations in pm's.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2005
    rocksteady likes this.
  15. B

B CH Dog

You can't confuse honesty with negativity. I think you think he is negative because you don't like to hear what he has to say. He has never bashed you but a quick search of your most recent posts would state you are obviously harboring ill feelings towards him. I think you need to realize that people are here to help others with their experience and knowledge. We're here to help new people learn the right way to do things. Do you think Texas learns a lot by helping out all these new and sometimes ignorant people? I don't think he learns anything but I do think he cares enough about the breed to be helping its owners. I for one think we are privileged to have such a member of the board. What have you helped and added to the board lately? You are really the one that needs to examine yourself and your feelings towards him. It is obvious he has never attacked anyone on this board. If Tex has attacked any it has simply been perceived that way by those that have issues listening to someone that speaks the truth, has experience, and a very keen knowledge of the breed and its behaviors.

Regards,

B

16. Take it from me Tx is here to help us all. I know this from experience. He is not learning anything by replying in threads or PM, etc. He is here for the betterment of us all. In other words, he is guiding us in what he believes is the right path. Why should he sugar coat his thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2005
  17. If you really want to see what a good HIGH QUALITY food does to a dog you must leave him on the food for atleast 6 months. I used to feed Iams and crappy Diamond, switched to Canidae and loved it. I recently switched to Chicken Soup, dogs can become immune to feeds so I will switch them up now about every now and then and just go back and forth between high quality feeds. No more corn, wheat, by products, etc... and my dogs have never looked better. So far been using the Chicken Soup on a dog that was on Canidae for 2 years and he looks great. People think they will see results overnight or in a month, it's not a miracle as someone said. Just take plenty pics, try to take them in the same light, time, and position so you can have an accurate comparison and compare the pics like 6 months down the road. I can't believe someone would even compare Dog Chow to Canidae... even Diamond is better than Dog Chow lol..... but hey everyone is entitled to an opinion.
    Good Luck

18. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

This is a myth, theres no need to stress the dogs stomach out by switching foods. You'd be best off feeding full-time whatever works best for them out of Chicken Soup and Canidae. And by the way-Welcome! :D

19. Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. I am not seeking to show "Dog Chow" is better than Canidae. That would be foolish and futile.

Welcome to the site!

20. B

B CH Dog

$35 vs $15 is the entire subject of the thread if you cut out the BS. If you feed a couple dogs, $20 every month isn't going to break anyone. I always recommend giving your dog the best care and treatment and if you can't afford the best then you have too many dogs. Canidae also has a breeders program where you can send 5 UPC codes and get a bag for free. I buy 10 bags at a time and I end up paying $26 a bag with tax included when you take my free bags into account. My "everyday" price is $28 a bag and to get a better price you just need to spend some time making the feed and pet stores compete for your business. It took me about a week to negotiate this price with the feed store I currently do all my business with. They are a nice small local business and my purchase makes them a fair deal of money. I always try to support the local businesses but before I finally negotiated a price I was a few days away from signing up to be a wholesale dealer for Canidae. Guess what I would have payed for a bag at that rate? $25. The local business is really doing a great job keeping my business and the Canidae's free bag of food really helps drop the price per bag to near wholesale. I'm in retail for a living so I know how to talk to people but anyone can do the same with a little patience and persistance. Now tell me that you don't think that $11 a month extra is not worth purchasing Canidae...

Regards,

B