1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Canidae: Putting it to the Test

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Rocky H. Balboa, Sep 27, 2005.

1. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

I fed chicken soup..Chicken soup was actually more expensive than the canidae... go figure

2. CB

CB CH Dog

I think everybody can take a page outta Tex's book. He knows his shit like someone said you have to get the negative to get the right answer. If i get my ass handed to me by tex then i know it will be for the better because he is teaching me.

3. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

You know what Im getting tired of, coming to the forum and having to hear about how someone doesnt like someone else and how he is this and that and WHA WHAA WHAA. I, and hopefully others, are tired of having to skim through posts like this in order to find something intelligent to read.. (like on of Texasbulldogs posts)

So if you really dont like the way the man posts info or have a problem with him, CLICK ON HIS NAME.... in a box on the RIGHT HAND SIDE MIddle of page it says CONTACT INFO...
    CLICK THE SEND PRIVATE MESSAGE TO link ..

Type your subject, message and click SEND BUTTON

Wait for reply

4. CB

CB CH Dog

Exactly. What i do if i see alot of pages in a thread i go straight to it because i know Tex probably replied in it so i really just read his post to learn something. He never comes on this forum and post with out teaching.

5. jankab

jankab Top Dog

LMAO@Rock...

I agree Tex does not post garbage or try to offend anyone, in fact I can't remember a time where I have read a post from Tex personally bashing anyone! Tex is receptive to ideas and thoughts of ours. Others should look in the same light on his thoughts and ideas rather than bash and challenge his posts and standing in the game-dog community.

6. Bahamian

Bahamian Pup

I've been reading this post for a while and there are some very interesting points here.

I must say that Canidae is a very goodkibble and to me it is the best that I've evr used. My dogs did very good on it.

However I must say that there is some thing that is MUCH better than Canidae:
    "RAW"!
    I researched about raw for almost a year befor I started to feed my dogs it.
    But its been almost a year since they've been eating raw and all I can say is wow.
    I feed them: 2-3% of theire body weight (about 10% of thisis organmeat) and then they get about 5% veggetables.
    Here is a typical feeding for my 33lb female (528 oz.):
    16.63 oz. = raw meaty bone
    1.84 oz. = liver
    0.924 oz. =veggies
    Total=19.90 oz.

I don't know how many doggers have had as much success as I have with the raw diet but to me there is no comparison! And I'm reaaly surprised that more people don't feed there yard this way.

Lastly, I do feel that Canidae is the best kibble that one can feed their dogs!
    Yis
    Bahamian

14rock likes this.
  7. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Agreed 100 percent....The best possible thing to feed is a well scripted thought-out BARF diet, for some of us however this isnt practical, so a high-quality kibble is in order. Thanks for your input, people do need to know there are alternatives out there. Rep points to ya.

8. 14Rock, we all have opinions. After much research I do think feeding dogs a certain food year after year can have an affect on "some" of them. Every food contains something different and I will tell you since I started feeding Chicken Soup, instead of the Canidae this one particular male looks better, shits better and has a nicer coat. Go figure... I don't think the Canidae is a bad food, I just feel that after 2½ years on the food this dog needed a change. He looks the same now than he did when I first switched him from Iams to Canidae.

9. Hoyden

Hoyden Top Dog

Very interesting info here.

I gotta say, Texasbulldogs knows his stuff. I listened to his advice from another thread, put my Petey on the supplement that he suggested and my boy is doing much better.

I tried Canidae with my Petey & ended up switching him over to Timberwolf. Both my dogs have allergies, but the Timberwolf seems to have taken care of them.

10. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

I have used Canidae for 3 years now and I am satisfied with it! All my dogs leaned out naturally due to its lower fat content, but other than that the quality of its ingredients cannot be compare to the likes of Dog Chow!LOL

I put Dog Chow in the same category as Ol'Roy (which by the way is "GARBAGE")
    In the winter I supplement my dogs diet with canned fish (eg. jack mackeral, salmon or tuna) to increase the fats and oils but thats it......my dogs do fine otherwise!

YIS

11. Here are pictures taken on 11/2 showing how he is looking.

On October 30th, he weighed 54.5# (empty stomach). I hope to have him @ 50# by the end of December (Maybe by the end of November with the exercise!). He was 65# at the end of July.

Exercise
    I began to exercise him on 10/24 by placing a 20lb harness on him for at least an hour each day. On 10/30, I tested his air by running him for 8 miles (me on bike of course!). He had not ran since the middle of July. It turned out that he did better than expected. He did not tire as he did back in July. In fact, he did so well that I took him for 2 additional 2-mile laps without him tiring. I am not sure if Canidae was directly responsible or if it was due to loosing 10lbs since then. On the average, he ran a 2-mile lap in 11 minutes.

Eating and Stool

I have continued to give him 2 cups (8oz) per day and a hidebone every other day. His stool was "puree like" until Sunday night. I believe its stool improved because of exercise. While he was not exercised, his body did not take in all the nutrients in Canidae. Once he began to exercise, his body required more nutrients, thus improving his stool.

A major concern is that he is always "starving". The kibble may be nutritious but not fulfilling. This point may be ignored by the working kennels because of the lack of proximity to their dogs. "Lack of proximity" meaning the dogs are not house dogs that will have constant contact with humans. By having my dog with me most of my free time, I am better able to notice these changes.

Is "appetite fulfillment" the reason why the other brands have so many "fillers"?

Appearance

Since on Canidae, fur shedding has reduced dramatically but still flakes as he did before changing foods. No improvement on flaking.

His breath is horrible since on Canidae. I have turned to "Listering Pocket paks" to reduce the stench. Bad breath may be due to hunger.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2005
  12. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

I had the EXACT same problems

13. badger

badger Big Dog

interesting my dog is never starving and does not have bad breath...........and he is on canidae.

14. B

B CH Dog

My dogs have almost sweet smelling breath and it was a noticable improvement over another kibble I used to feed. Their breath does not smell bad at all. How old is your dog? The possibility of a bad tooth that might be rotting could be an issue. They love the Canidae and will happily eat too much if I let them. Canidae has no fillers so that is more than likely why he appears "starving". They also love the kibble so they are always wanting more :)

Regards,

B

15. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

I just put mine on nutro max puppy pink bag how does that compare to canidae?

16. B

B CH Dog

Doesn't at all...

B

17. SEAL

SEAL CH Dog

so your saying canidae is better??

18. Here is an update on my dog:

Rocky continues to be fed 16oz of Canidae once per day (2 cups). At nights, I feed him a rawhide bone for his entertainment. The shedding has improved since commencement of my experiment but flaking has gone unchanged. I may have to add a skin supplement for this. His breathe still smells and he remains "hungry looking". Stool amount remains the same as with "Dog Chow". Thus, it is a myth that Canidae feed will reduce stool amount do to "great" absorption.

His performance in training has noticeably improved. He is able to walk much longer distance (while carrying a 20lb harness). In addition, he is able to run faster longer with out getting "out of breath".

Between 11/14 to 11/18, no exercise was given. His pads were injured playing with a pet bull bitch on concrete. On the morning of 11/19, we ran the first 5 miles under 25 minutes and the remaining 5 miles in 5.5 minutes each. That night, he walked with a 20lb harness for about 1 1/2 hours through a few 45 degree hills. On 11/20, I walked him for 2 hours with the weighed harness. No Running at night (although I intended). Monday 11/21 Rest day. Tuesday 11/22 (today), no exercise scheduled due to rainy day.

On November 13th he weighed (empty) 53.4#
    In contrast, on July 20th he weighed 64.5#

I have attached two pictures taken for your reference. The first, taken on 7/23/05 and the latter on 11/20/05.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2005
  19. idgie

idgie Big Dog

Congrats, Rocky! That is a pretty impressive difference. I switched to Canidae (from Diamond Lamb & Rice) on Monday Nov. 28 and and so far, they seem to enjoy it, no bad breath or other negative side effects. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference (although I can't imagine I'll be as careful as you about posting our progress!)

One thing I am LOVING about Canidae is how one bag covers all life stages. It bugs me how the others want you to buy a different puppy formula, different senior formula. I was always needing to stop and buy something or other for my 9 dogs (including 2 seniors and a pup). Canidae makes this much easier to manage.

20. idgie

idgie Big Dog

I am gagging at the gas produced, I am guessing, by my switch to Canidae. I don't know what else could explain the stench coming from multiple dogs - not just my pup - just weeks after our big switch. Does it ever get better?? I mean, this is the worst gas ever (and I'm used to some pretty stinky stuff!)