1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Canidae: Putting it to the Test

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Rocky H. Balboa, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Marty

Marty Guest

Well I feed Diamond Premium Adult green bag and all the dogs including Lilbit look good the only one I'm having trouble with is Sheena she looked better on Ole Roy lol :o

2. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

I can't join everyone else in the hype over Canidae. I fed it for a few months and most of my dogs acted like they were hungry all the time, even after I increased their food intake significantly. There seemed to be a decline in overall strength in a couple of them, but I can't say with a 100% certainty that it was a result from the change in food. It was also noticeably harder to get them to focus on certain tasks. Canidae looks like a superior food on paper, but in reality I just can't see paying the extra money for it. If it had miraculously increased my dogs' performance and looks, as people claim it does, then I'd be sold on it, but at this point I have no reason to be impressed with it. It may do wonders for some dogs, I'm not trying to dispute that. Based on the ingredients alone, I'd recommend it to anyone, but based on what I've seen, I can't recommend it over Exceed, Diamond, or Nutro because the results are all about the same to me. I'd wager that Rocky's increase in performance and looks is primarily due to his increased workload more than anything.

3. Idgie and Rockstar, I have noticed both your concerns in Rocky. Rocky has been having a hard time under this diet. He (Rocky) is constantly starving to the point of desperation (sort of speak), breath has not improved, and coat remains very flaky. I agree with Rockstar in that "performance" was improved by the fact that he is 10lbs lighter thus allowing him to run longer without tiring. His improvement in "looks" is due to pounds lost and increase exercise.

Rocky finished his 1st bag of Canidae a week ago. I have decided to keep him on Canidae for at least one more bag (I want to be fair to Canidae and give it a two-bag try). If nothing improves directly due to feed, I will change to another feed (i.e. Nutro, etc.) and review its value.

So far, Canidae value is not worth its cost. If your dog is not an athlete (weight puller, "hunter", etc.) you should not waste your time with Canidae. There are other less costly feeds that will do just as fine as Canidae.

Here is how I see it: if you do not use it (the "extra" nutrients), it will end up in the stool! Do you want to dish out the extra money for it to end up as sh!t?