1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Carpet Mill Design plans - Picture Diagrams included

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by 99Formula, Feb 24, 2013.

1. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

I did not finish. If you make the front and back holes and then add the holes along the mill running surface it gets easier to accomplish but the holes along the rail are so close together it weakens the platform. If you put multiple holes along the legs of the mill getting the measurement correct is difficult. I made one once and it took a ton of time.
    I even made one with one angle and put threaded rod in the front legs to adjust the angles. I ended up building them with one set angle and I use a 4X4 as a block to raise the front legs for an increased angle and in the back to level it off. I get three settings with one set of holes. Anyway, best of luck. Looks good so far. I wish I had pictures of the ones I built some 20 years ago and then compare them to the ones I make now. I am down in the less than $150 for materials area. I can build them and sell them for $300 or even less if things are on sale, usually around $275 to $285.
    You should continue on with your project as you will learn more and have a more effective mill when you use the trial and error method. Again, best of luck. US1

2. slim12

[video=youtube;nq7h6nQmKoM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq7h6nQmKoM[/video]

3. slim12

[video=youtube;qqB1Gb-gjFk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqB1Gb-gjFk[/video]

These two mill have about $250 in materials together. They both serve good purpose. The 1st shows a dog going all out on it. She was 9 or 10 years old in that video so I did not let it go long. It was setting on a piece of wire that led to the slight wobble in the video. The second video is a bitch winding down after some hard sprint work. She is beat in the video. This is a mill my son made as a 15 year old. He made the frame on his own and I did a little 'over-seeing' on the running surface/roller measurements. Worked like a dream. These things have to be effective, and a lot of times simple and easy can be the most effective. US1

4. 99Formula

99Formula Pup

Thanks Slim! I'll keep that in mind! For now, I've decided to just build out of 2x4 and am making it non-adjustable. The next one, once I have the basic understanding of how everything works together will be a little more sophisticated and will be made out of sq. tubing. Right now, this is what I've done so far, I don't think it has come out half bad for a first timer. Granted, it's just the basic frame work and there is still a ton to be done, but it's a decent start. So far, all I have is 35 bucks in material and still have plenty of 2x4 left. About another 20+ ft of it actually.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. slim12

Best of luck.Not sure where your axles will be on this frame but for future reference if you lay the two side rails on top of each other and drill the hole thru both rails at the same time it will be much easier to square the axles with one another. Post pics as you go. It is not as hard to make a solid mill as most would think. S