1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Carpet mill rollers?

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by CrazyK9, Jan 20, 2014.

1. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Alright guys I hate to make another thread on building these damn things cause I know there are a lot but I searched and read and read some more... and I still have a question.

I already have a basic blueprint I worked up for the frame. My roommate works at a lumber yard so he should be able to get the materials for the frame for free or cheap. The only thing im trying to figure out is the rollers... I've seen the youtube video with the pvc pipe/landscape timber and I'd rather not have to cut pvc that size or timbers either really. I also read about using skate wheels or lawnmower tires inside the pvc.

I was looking into conveyor rollers. I found some on ebay but my knowledge of how those install is lacking. It looks like they are spring loaded and insert into slots rather easy... is that the case? If not, can someone please explain them? I love to build things but this girl does not have terminology down so please don't get too technical. Keep it simple. :p

2. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

It would be way better to just buy a proven Carpet mill from Postmandan

3. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

I don't have the money for one. It doesn't need to be perfect. I just need something to help build up my arthritic dogs back legs and to drain some energy on the rest of the dogs in addition to the 2 mile walks they are getting daily.

Im not doing it for specific results for work or show so a proven mill isn't what I need but the man does have a nice product and he isnt too far away. If I do ever buy a mill in the future, Id go with a slat anyway.

4. allaboutpitbull

allaboutpitbull Big Dog

pvc pipe put a 2x4 in it waaa laaa you have rollers

5. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Why would you get a slat instead of a carpet mill?

6. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Its been a while since I've read through all the keeps floating around, but it seems like the slat mill provides endurance training for the dog that no exercise I could have it do otherwise could replace. Whereas strength training I feel like I could provide via hand walking and weight dragging. Though, I suppose it really depends on how free spinning the carpet mill was. That will matter to me in the future. Right now all I need is a bit of extra activity for the dogs (no APBTs) so they'll settle down. The type of workout doesn't matter.

I take it you don't have any input on the conveyor rollers? That's what I was after... like I said, I read through most of the threads on here about mills already. I wasnt trying to start the same old conversation lol.

7. ABD456

ABD456 Big Dog

Something I saw recently that looks to work quiet good are the conveyor rollers. I'm not sure how the person fitted them exactly but he used about 6-8inch roller not exactly sure the size just looks 6-8. Also I seen one that has the smaller rollers of about 4 inches where the dog runs on well the carpet is between the rollers and the dogs feet, actually rolls very easy

8. postmandan

postmandan Big Dog

9. postmandan

postmandan Big Dog

i'm not good on posting so i really didnt get the pics posted so you could just see them without hitting links.. maybe the pictures will give you a few ideas

10. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Thank you Dan! That does help. If I had the money I would just buy one from you but I'm unemployed and living off my 401k right now :( I can't beat getting free materials and only paying for the rollers and hardware.

You use 2" rollers right? I think I read that you do. So you have the slits on the side to get the rollers in easy and then keep it in place with bearings and eye hooks?

11. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

get some 6" pvc, get 6" lawnmower wheels... pop the wheels inside the ends of pve, slide axle through........ rollers......

12. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Eh I think I'm gonna stick with the conveyor rollers. I dont want to cut through that size PVC.

13. postmandan

postmandan Big Dog

the nut and bolts tighen on the wood frame to hold the roller securely-- the slot is for tighening the carpet if needed- the eyebolt is to draw the roller forward easily== Dan

14. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Ah ok. Makes sense. Thanks again.

Just bought some conveyor rollers. Whenever they get here I'll start putting everything together.

15. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Just make sure you post a vid of you actually building it or it aint true LMAO.

16. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Lol pics or it didnt happen! Yeah I'll post when I get started. It will probably be sometime next week.

17. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Make sure you are wearing a bikini LMAO.

18. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Oh hell no lol

19. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

do it!!!! lol

20. barrigon

barrigon Pup

when i made my carpet mill i ordered my PVC rollers from material flow. com and the PVC rollers are made by Ralphs-Pugh. Ralphs-Pugh won't sell directly, you got to order from material flow and just tell them what you need ( size wise ).