1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Carpet mill rollers?

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by CrazyK9, Jan 20, 2014.

1. postmandan

postmandan Big Dog

oh yea- i always want to see what others make. sometimes ya see very interesting different ways-Dan

2. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

The rollers came in today. I'm probably going to work on it Sunday

3. Swiper

Swiper Pup

:beer: getting a front row seat!!

4. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

[video=youtube;nq7h6nQmKoM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq7h6nQmKoM[/video]

roller blade wheels and roller blade bearings.

Carpet mills have evolved from years past. The carpet mills of 'yesteryear' used the PVC piping set ups, even seen them where the carpet slides over a stationery piece of PVC pipe. Others had carpet sliding on sanded plywood. These are very hard to turn by design. They have served their purpose over time and can continue to serve as well.

In time the end rollers, carpet selection and sliding surfaces have changed to 'free' the mills. Once upon a time there were carpet mills and slat mills. I think todays mills (from what I see posted and advertised) are more along the lines of a belt mill. The above mill is on roller blade wheels with a plastic sliding surface. The carpet is light. A dog on this mill can spin it just as fast as most slat mills. One hard hand pull and this mill will make three revolutions. At a walk or slow trot it is driven just like 'old style' carpet mills but it has a lot of top end speed as well. I like it.

My first mill I built some years ago I used a 5/8 steel rod, 3/4 inch black pipe insulation stuffed inside a 2" piece of PCV pipe. The carpet was thick and heavy. It worked but not aw well as I hoped. I then modified the end rollers. I went to a plastic sliding surface. I lightened up the carpet. It took 10-15 modifications to get the mill to match the type of work I was looking to put into the dog. I ended up with a roller blade wheel/roller blade bearing setup attached to a wood end roller.

Best of luck. It takes a little thought, but it falls far short of being brain surgery. LOL> S

5. slim12

[video=youtube;qqB1Gb-gjFk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqB1Gb-gjFk[/video]

This is the same roller set up on a different style frame. (sides are different). The female here is coming off some sprint work on the mill. She is winding down/cool down. The mill is free turning and really smooth.

A carpet mill must be smooth operating as well. If a dog pushes back and the carpet or belt bunches up because of the end roller resistance it will not be a good work out and it can also injure the dog. When the dog pushes back the carpet/belt should move in proportion to his effort. It should not bunch or ride up prior to getting to the roller. "Smooth" is a far better characteristic that "free" when referring to a carpet mill (belt mill). S

6. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Thanks for the input Slim. Were there supposed to be pictures? Cause if so I don't see em.

Ran into a problem. Home depot didnt have a socket head screw the size I needed so I have to go to a specialty fastener store. Theyre closed over the weekend so I'm going Monday. I have a couple collar orders I have to get made before I start that so its probably gonna be Tuesday now before I start the mill. -_____- Dammit... Its always something.

7. slim12

Should be two videos. US1 free spinning carpet mills on youtube. S

8. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

[​IMG]

Well its not beautiful but it works Lol.

9. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Ah yeah I love Black Carpet LMAO

10. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

You could also do the hook up another way by placing another piece of wood vertical in the middle.

11. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Yeah thought about that. I know a lot of mills are like that but this works fine for my mutts so I'm not going to mess with it anymore lol.

I'm gonna try to get some video tomorrow.

12. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Looks good K9, makes me wanna built one.

13. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

[​IMG]

Chop on the mill.
    Link to photobucket video...

14. slim12

As long as it works for the dog. What tends to happen in the 'mill community' is the bells and whistles over shadow what the mill is suppose to do. When I first started selling the mills I 45'ed all the corners, filled the holes with wood putty, sanded, stained, sanded and stained. It was a furniture quality piece of equipment. Really nice to look at. With my time and efforts the price escalated over $300 and sometimes close to $400 for differing hook ups/colors/styles.

Over time I felt like all that was a waste of time. The end of the day I want the dog to be worked on the mill not my buddy telling me how nice it looks. So when it works, that is all that really matters. Bells & whistles can't cut the mustard. S