1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

chain setup dirt packing in

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by act284, Oct 11, 2010.

1. act284

act284 Big Dog

I just recently moved and having been setting up a few chain spots...

I have my tie out approximately 1 foot below ground (the top of the tie out), and have packed dirt on top of it...I hosed it down...let it sit for 2 days, and when I went out to pull on it, it does not feel like the chain is firmly packed down.

what can i do to make sure the setup cant be pulled out?

never had this problem at the previous location

2. Ms.Kitten

Ms.Kitten Banned

Try concrete...

Or try digging the tie out hole deeper... maybe 2 ft deep...

3. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

a bit of quik cement from home depot/lowes

4. chef_kergin

chef_kergin Big Dog

a post-hole digger is near the diameter of most small vehicle axles. dig one foot deep, pour some concrete in the hole, use a log or a mallet or something to slam the axle down until it is at the bottom of your hole, pull your chain straight up, add enough concrete but leave a few inches of dirt to pour around the top wen it's dry.

mine never manage to go anywhere. and my apbt runs circles for hours a day.

good luck.

5. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

I can pull all my axle's strait up out of the ground with little effort.What you have to think about is how is the dog gonna pull on it.He will never pull strait up on the chain.So when you test it, you have to hold it down low and pull it on an angle like a dog would.If it still doesn't feel safe use concrete,or a longer stake.

6. act284

act284 Big Dog

I dont want to use concrete since Im renting the place...

I've digged about 4 feet deep, the tie out is 3 feet long, and thats why I said the top of it is 1 feet below...maybe I have to give it more time...

I used a simple shovel, and made a 4 foot diameter hole, maybe thats why its taking longer to settle and pack?

7. ccourtcleve

ccourtcleve Big Dog

What are you using? a stake? what kind?

8. Ms.Kitten

Ms.Kitten Banned

:0047: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

9. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

try packing in the dirt slowly and then adding water while you do it, if it comes down to it, don't mix concrete but a mix of dirt and concrete together, mix it all up, seen one guy do it like that, but at the same time the the tie out is under and when a dog hits the end of it they are side ways (east and west) where we check them we are pulling north. I never had this probably but I do the dirtly slowly, water and firmly pack it in.

10. act284

act284 Big Dog

I'm currently using a 36 inch earth anchor I got from USA hardware...

I'll give it more time, the chain spot doesn't get direct sunlight so I'm assuming the water and dirt hasn't settled quite yet...

11. WHOCARES

WHOCARES Pup

get an axle shaft wrap your chain around it and drive it straight into the ground with a sledge hammer until the hub is buried...

12. GI Joe

GI Joe Big Dog

try burying a cider block and running the stake through that and then filling with dirt

13. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

That is exactly what I use too. I dig down about 24 inches, then I get a hammer out, beat on about 10 times then I use the claw of it to turn it into the dirt because it has the deal on the bottom to sink it, i do this over and over till it is about 12 under and leaves a foot of chain in the ground, all my chain are bought in 11 ft sections for that reason. Try the hammer and twist method, it works the best and I have set a ton of the earth anchors like this. Easy and light weight to move, say you have to move all your spots easily and quick, this is the rock and roll way for sure.

14. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

five gallon bucket,fill it with cement, stick the axle (already with the hardware on) in the cement. let dry.

break plastic off bucket, & bury the concrete up to the axle & chain.

15. PADogman

PADogman Top Dog

What I do is I'll dig a hole about 2 feet down pour a 40 lbs bag of concrete in the hole place a heavy duty anchor bolt in it just to the top of the anchor to give you enough room to put your hardware on ,wait for it to dry then attach the hardware.Then I pack dirt on top to cover it up.Works great for me

16. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

Just for the people who don't know, quikcrete and concrete are two different things. Quikrete will break down underground and it be easily broken compared to concrete and that is if you mix correctly, no enough water or to much makes it very fragile.

17. n2bulldogs

n2bulldogs Banned

Is it just me or do some guys come on here and ask questions that they'd be better off figuring out themselves. I mean seriously, a grown ass man can't figure out how to securely anchor a dog??? Do you need someone to come help LMAO
    not trying to be a dick, it's just that so many people think a bunch of jack offs sitting at the computer will have a wonderful solution to their problem, when the truth is the OP would be better off just figuring it out and learning from the experience. :rolleyes:

18. pit4ever

pit4ever Banned

people are trying to not make mistake and learn from others mistake. thats why this is great site.
    then i guess there is no point of you being here.
    gatta figure it out by yourself.
    good-bye.

19. ccourtcleve

ccourtcleve Big Dog

I dont think the OP should learn this one from experience. If ANYTHING, i think someone who owns dogs should know how to properly secure them before owning them. But the last thing i want is people with APBTs using trial and error as a means of containing them. That is a recipe for disaster.

I would rather him come online and potentially find his answers (as the correct answers CAN be found here sometimes) than putting together a terrible setup and have another "pit bull" attack on the news. :(

20. n2bulldogs

n2bulldogs Banned

this is what I'm talking about ^^^

I'm not saying use trial and error, I'm saying anybody worthy of a bulldog should be able to do the damn thing, that's all