1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Chasing Dead Dogs

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by Naustroms, Feb 3, 2010.

1. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

The saying chasing dead dogs is a insult nothing more.

2. I agree, but if the dogs are improving like they should be, why are people still chasing dead dogs?

3. Pollo

Pollo Big Dog

Foundation dog has been dead for 40-50 years, but the current stock looks, acts, performs exactly like the foundation is that still considered “chasing” a dead dog.
    There’s not many families of dogs left that have been kept up over the decades without extreme outcrossing.
    The ones that hav been breed with not only performance in mind but the tangibles also.
    I think it’s asinine to say because such and such dog is 5-6 generations back it has no bearing on the current stock. If it’s family bred it definitely ancestors definitely matter.
    Shit, even Equipo Morfin will call them booger dogs when clearly they could simple say morfin.

david63, Ssdd and Dusty Road like this.
  4. Pollo

Pollo Big Dog

If it’s family bred it’s ancestors definitely matter. No past no present

david63, Ssdd and F.W.K. like this.
  5. That was my point, in humans with the admixture you have little genetic relation to your great grandparents, in dogs, especially sporting dogs you can go further generations back and still get considerable genetic influence.

david63 and Pollo like this.
  6. tomjones2

tomjones2 Big Dog

From a different angle… I guess in these modern times it’s perilous to broadcast publicly a star performer for his exploits in the box, especially on the US. I see some newer dogs being referred to as lines, say Croata, Titere etc perhaps they run less a risk for publicizing

7. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

If said 'dead dog' is six or eight generations back, and it is the same name making the breedings throughout those generations, then said 'dead dog' may make some contributions via his offspring.

Put another name in the pedigree one or two times and that becomes the disconnect.

When there are multiple names in the pedigree the contribution from yesteryear shifts to 'chasing dead dogs'.

S

AGK and tomjones2 like this.
  8. Pollo

Pollo Big Dog

For the most part when someone makes a educated / planned breeding they are chasing something.
    Could be something distant, could be direct sire / dam. No matter the case your chasing something from the past.

Sometimes breedings are made because something is missing. In that case your still chasing something from the pass by adding something that you think should be.

We all do breedings with a specific goal in mind, and 9 out of 10 times it is something from the past. Something that has set the bar for you.

We all chase dead dogs.

9. slim12

Being that I am not a breeder I can only go down this rabbit hole so far. LOL

I agree when breeding the object is to add something, make something better, get something from the past. I am not sure I could agree with more.

Then it becomes a time or generational thing. Getting something from the sire or dam usually means the sire or dam are still alive. Breeding a Red Boy dog because Red Boy made Yellow John and you are shooting for Yellow John is chasing a dead dog.

Getting a high drive, game Red Boy dog is mostly dependent on the dogs in his first two generations not Red Boy or Yellow John.

But I do see validity in most every point.

S

che and Pollo like this.
  10. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

Anyone remember the sdj article titled chasing dead dogs lol

11. Pollo

Pollo Big Dog

Just curious to hear your thoughts. When someone says “ bulldog “ does a specific dog come to mind?
    Maybe something that set the bar in one or more categories.
    Did you ever find yourself thinking back on that dog, and wanting another like him / her?

Even today when I see a certain performance, color , structure, attitude I’ll get these flashbacks to the animal that showed me what a bulldog was.

12. slim12

Absolutely. I think back to Mims/DTA's CH Charlie (4XW). He was the very best dog I ever seen. If I were rating on a true scale of 1-10, he would pull a true 9 in every category except mouth and that would be a solid 8. He basically conditioned himself. He could come off the chain and be in better shape than 95% of all the conditioned dogs...ever.

As I I have said 488,883 times. I am not a breeder. In Charlie's case I was more interested in breeding to the dog that made the dog vs. breeding to the dog and having both his parents in the pedigree without just concentrating on him. Instead of stacking a certain dog (like most peds) I tried to stack his parents. I have dogs now that are double Spiffy/Lucky and double Jiggs/Lucky.

The worst thing I could have ever done is let him set the bar on what we left the yard with late on Saturday night. Few would measure up and it would have been a lot of nights sitting at home.

Just a different approach.

If I had grown up on a yard where breeding was more of a priority I am sure I would have a different approach and a different thought process.

I thoroughly enjoy the conversations, and I do have my opinions, but my opinions are not based on enough knowledge to truly argue the points. LOL

S

Pollo likes this.
  13. kiwidogman

kiwidogman Top Dog

Yep, every dog in a litter has EXACTLY THE SAME PEDIGREE. Are they all exactly the same? Are they ALL worth breeding from? Of course not.

14. che

che Top Dog

Just like I have said , you chase the first 2 generation in most case... you look up to the relevant dogs..... not to the something what happened years back. Don't ever count how many times a name appears on ped.