1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Chasing Dead Dogs

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by Naustroms, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Junebug

Junebug Big Dog

You can easily tell the green ones from the ones that have been around a while (or had a mentor).

2. Erie Outlawz

Erie Outlawz CH Dog

lol Ive argued with better dogman then you i'm sure lol!!!

3. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

bump. lets get some quality discussions going.

4. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

great original post Naustroms. Only thing i can say is its best to know the people ur gettin ur dogs from. If they are breeding with a purpose then you dont have to worry about how close up the famous dogs in the peds are bc you know they are breeding good dogs. If the dogs arent looked at then i might want gr ch such n such as close a possible. I have no clue why people breed supertight off one dog without any outs so i cant even speak on that

5. eddieem

eddieem Big Dog

Good post do, i agree with most. I think when u see peds tight on one dog like that its usually to pedal but sometimes maybe that dog was just the complete package..but eventually u have to cross

6. synno2004

synno2004 Top Dog

Leave the breeding to the breeders.

It takes two to Tango, and the majority of people that breed are mostly interested in making a quick buck selling offspring just cause of PED.

ONE has to know the dogs strong traits as well as it's shortcomings. When breeding you have to consider, not only are you doubling up on the good traits but the BAD as well. :D
    Linebreeding, inbreeding and outcrossing!!!;)

7. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

Ok first off breeding dogs ain't rocket science. Its a crap shoot! you can breed two dogs one time and get great dogs un beatable dogs. The next time you stick them you may only get fair dogs. This is a fact I have done this myself. it is way too mind boggling to understand why. that is why you should allways Know what your dogs are down from and breed only good ones. now that said I have allways said I have no problem breeding a cold dog if I am 100% sure of his ped and I have had good results with them. the best thing I can tell yall is breed the dogs you know that you like. and cull the bad keep the good and allways be honest with your self. like I said its a crap shoot.There is no real Best way to do it that is why a dog makes his ped.

8. Boze

Boze Top Dog

if you breed two untested dogs together they can either produce or not. now it is up to you to determine if they have produced to your standards. if they have there is no need to check them. if the offspring of the untested dogs are being looked at then the parents do not need to be as long as they are producing quality dogs. now can this be done to start a family of dogs no, but if you have a dog that comes down from a fimilly of proven bulldogs then that dog has the same chance of being just a goo a producer as gr ch billy bad ass. most of the greates producers in history were not even champions or grand champions. such as maverick, skull, bolio, dibo, dime, crenshaws snow, six bits, amd p;emty more. if you have access to the ed crenshaw interview you will hear him say that to many people today are obsessed with breeding champion to champion or gr ch to gr ch instead of looking for a solid dog based on a solid line of producers. if you look at mayday he may have been a gr ch, but he comes down from dogs that procuced there balls off his pedigree is filled with rom and por.

9. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

he was directly off of a gr ch and from a yard of a dogman with lots of winners
    also just bc a dog isnt a ch doesnt mean he cant perform, it simply means he didnt
    if i have an extraordinary dog do i want to risk losing him? up to the dogman...

10. labulldoger

labulldoger Top Dog

how many times have you seen a dog with no mouth throw dogs with mouth, if seen it more than a few. ive also bred the best to the best and wind up w/a yard of curs. i do know what you mean let the breeders breed. but know who is selling them to you. ive been screwed more than once by breeders.. just know people dont sell props, they will sell you somthing they dont want. i look for rom and por dogs....

11. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

Great post. I Agree a 150%

12. Boy-boy 416

Boy-boy 416 Big Dog

i belive if a dog is gonna produce its gonna produce but if it aint getting looked at its like "if a tree falls in the woods an no one is there to hear it dose it really fall" its like if its not getting looked at the pups are more likly not gonna get sold to dogmen so youll never really know what the dog produced anyway cuz such a small percentage of the dogs will be doing anything so in short if the dog aint gettin tested it dosent matter what it produces cuz they probobly wont get tested either like he said its a crap shoot ive seen dogs with great mouths be littermates to bird bitting curs

13. labulldoger

labulldoger Top Dog

then turn around the bird biter could have all the talent, the one with the crunch have no talent..f**k it repeat the breeding, a great man told me once that its 1-100 thats your super star all the ones between wiil be decent.also dont be suprised we they quit be suprised when they dont...

14. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

Back to the original post. People get so caught up in trying to preserve an individual dog or bloodline that they often forget that the main goal should be to produce good dogs regardless of how they are bred. Say you want to preserve the blood of GrCh X and you inbreed and inbreed on him only to get subpar dogs. At that point it is probably a good idea to outcross and try to improve the dogs even if you are "diluting the blood". There are very few great dogs that were created by only inbreeding on another dog. Usually great dogs are the result of an outcross or linebreeding. Look at the Grandchampions-how many of them were inbred? One of the best breeders of modern times, when asked why he didn't save sperm off his great stud dogs, told me "you have to look forward, you can't look backwards." And I agree with that.

15. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Big Dog

i could not agree with you more.. people need to understand breeding tight is good for preservation but we have to let the dogs evolve. IMO the dog makes the ped and if the dog is that good work with that and go from there.

16. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

always look to the future.start off with good stock then move forward.

17. labulldoger

labulldoger Top Dog

i breed the dog not the papers!!!

18. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

"you have to look forward, you can't look backwards" that about sums it up.

19. labulldoger

labulldoger Top Dog

so you wouldnt like to have some bolio sticks in the fridge????

20. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

question... do u think bolio is better than buck?