1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Chest Girth

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by pit#5, Nov 4, 2010.

1. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

I was curious for an opinion, Ive had some dogs with wide chests & usually from the youngest age they look nice , i mean you cant help but look , its like just ON . I now have what i consider narrow chested dogs
    when they are young they look ungainly. What i am finding interesting is my narrow dogs seem to be developing large shoulder's compared to the large chest dog type. If i was to measure it, the over all width is the same , it's just what portion of body components that comprise it . The narrow dogs have muscle popping shoulders, the other type the shoulders just neatly blend into rest of body. Are there advantages to either type ?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
  2. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

wide chest = no wind Deep Chest = lungs

3. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

wide chest = no wind
    So Deep Chest = lungs
    Deep = narrow / So no need to ever use the word narrow, just say Deep Chest . Endurance is key so Deep must be a good key attribute

4. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

wide and deep are NOT the same

5. For sure!!!!!!

6. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

My dog has a wide but shallow chest... No endurance at all.

7. garth

garth Big Dog

Our dogs chest should reach the dogs elbow's,this allows maxamin lung size=endurance.I have a few their chest go just below the elbows,man they can run all day.These type of dogs are very easy to over work.

8. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

well that explains a border collie pit mix I once had, her chest went below the elbows that dog I clocked at 46 47 mph and could run all day , I had a red nose at the same time he did not mess with her. Her endurance was such, first you had to catch her during play then as time went by my other dog got tired. The reds chest was above his elbows.

9. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

But I believe that’s the truth of it , wide , deep , shallow ,
    I had a wide chest dog but his ribs did go below his elbows a bit
    And now that I think of it he was not a fast runner but at a slow pace compared to other dogs / he still had great endurance.

10. MISSAPBT

MISSAPBT Top Dog

Anyone got any pics, examples?

11. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

Sadly this dog is gone due to a altercation with a dog off my property
    he was really powerful not a fast running dog but at his Pace of choice he did not tire easily
    he also had the ability to put on muscle power explosively. His chest was wide you could pet it with an open hand
    now look at his rib cage at he elbows , he was young at this pic. at his peek he was 80 pounds before he was put down I had him down to 75 LBS I think of this dog many times a week. He was me and i was him DAMN !!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
  12. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

My dog's chest stops short. He will keep going, but gets winded quickly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scratchindog's Angus is a good example of a dog with a good depth of chest.

13. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

I could look at Angus all day long ;)

14. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

No pics but my girls chest goes a solid inch or more below her elbows and swoops up real tight and small to her stomach and hind legs, like real small looks like she ate a large football. She can run wicked fast and long... she breaths heavy but does not ever need to stop.

M Wescogame likes this.
  15. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

my white dog , Will be one year old this Dec 2010 - 55 pounds as of now i think she has some American bulldog in her but as she gets older, not sure runs like a gazelle , very good wind , strong like bull these pics are from this summer

Attached Files:

16. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

The little guy was raised with my border Collie , so he can really run fast easily keeps up, Brownish dog is 7 months 57 pounds i feel he still looks like a lanky pup but he is getting there . Deep chest faster then female .

Attached Files:

17. garth

garth Big Dog

I really do'nt have many pic's of my dogs,the gyp in my avatar is one of them.She produces the same in all of her get.Mind you she has never been bred off this yard.

18. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

This was my first little dog from the dog pound she was 38 lbs & game pain in the butt, her wide & shallow chest did not hamper her much as she was fast furious nasty.
    she survived the - hot - cold - lack of food water along with me (with in reason) kennel cough - pnouma - worms - hit by a truck . I know i am thick headed as she was all the lessons i ever needed as to what a PB is - after her I never should of had a mistake ever again.

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      15.5 KB
      Views:
  19. brindlexpitt

brindlexpitt Top Dog

pit #5 i dnt think youve ever had a dog with real wind... everyone is correct.

20. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

I have never been apart of extreme sports to bring a dog to his knees so to speak,
    but from the dogs I've had I can see different body types have different
    advantages & disadvantages. I've had 10 PB's in my life, maybe thats nothing to some / its more then average Joe America .