1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Cloning...

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by blacksunshine, Aug 19, 2013.

1. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

@abd456 yep its called inbreeding father to daughter etc.

2. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

its true with weed..... so why it wouldnt it be with mammals?

on the flipside, i thought we havent successfully cloned yet?? wasnt the thing they cloned only alive for like 10 minutes before dying???

3. old goat

old goat CH Dog

4. BEHAVIN

BEHAVIN Top Dog

i think for the most part people might like to look at cloning because the possibility is there to keep or get back something great that they had or someone else had. as has already been mentioned genetically they would be the same, but most assurably, enviroment will factor in some differances, you are not going to put your new honeybunch through exactly the same day, day out experiances the old honeybunch had so mentality will be differant, however the possibility of producing good ones may be there. then you may also have to think about cloning everything she was bred to also?
    then we have the BREEDING TO IMPROVE...... now youve just cloned youve moved backwards, can you impact on these better than the old dogmen of the past? Many strains have moved forward over the years/many have depleted, i personally think cloning for me would be more of a nostalgic view.
    maybe for some it could work, ya gotta remember on the performance side of things, Food and or feeding methods have come along way and the way of Keeps has also come along way, so yes those old dogs may just of had the potential to be far greater than they actualyy were in their time.
    LOL.... by the time i finished doing the research and asking myself all the questions, id be cloning the dogs i have now that by then would be in the past..........

5. bounty

bounty Big Dog

As far as cloning for performance i'm not sure that will turn out too well. maybe you would get something close.
    One of my best friends from school had an identical twin.[If you are wondering what that has to do with cloning well they are genetically identical, basically a clone of each other] His twin did look identical but the similarities stopped there. Considering they grew up in the same house their personalities and drives were different. My friend was nuts on bodybuilding and competing in bodybuilding comps. He also went to uni for engineering, he also had bad eyes. the brother trained in the gym but wasn't as nuts as my friend. he studied to be a mechanic. and he had good eyes. Basically they had different drives and different intelligence level.

As far as breeding capabilities of a cloned bitch... that would need to be tested. I have an old dog on ice that if cloning wasn't too expensive, and possible through frozen semen, i would actually give it a shot. (only because that blood is impossible to get)

6. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

Maybe I'm wrong but I see all this talk about bloodline and how unless u know a dogs blood don't breed it. I see all these folks wanting dogs that are breed real tight back to so and so. Then this post comes up and folks say a direct genetic clone to any of the top dogs would not be what the originals would and wouldn't posses the same traits that made them great dogs. Does this not contradict the efforts of line breeding that has gone on for so long. I mean I understand u have to add outside blood time to time to keep from degrading it but a clone gets u all the blood of that targeted champ with none of the dilution. It was said it would be a step back for the breed. If it's a step back why hold past champs in such high regard. Do u believe these dogs of today down from whatever champ could all go toe to toe with the champs themselves and win. If the argument is game is in the blood then it's in the blood cloned or not. If game is not in the blood then blood don't matter.

No disrespect intended just trying to continue the discussion and maybe learn something.

Shotgun
    Arkansas

7. ourgalsunday

ourgalsunday Big Dog

8. BEHAVIN

BEHAVIN Top Dog

shotgun, some good questions asked, i wouldn't be the one to answer them i don't think, but my take on it is......
    ie: line breeding,inbreeding has diversity, there will always be some bad that come's along with the good, you gotta as a good breeder weed em out, what you see as good, the next fella won't, that has alway's been the norm anyways. i personally cant see how there wouldn't be some sort'a diversity with cloning, but i don't know enough about it to say yes or know. my idea would be it may give some the opertunity to accompish something somebody didn't with said particular dog, but im also of the opinion if breeding practices have been paramount, what you have down from said dogs, should be better anyhow and as you say,that was said, shotgun they might not be what the originals were is partly correct but not intirely....(inviroment) plays a massive part, maybe more than people think.People hold past CH's in high regaurd because of the accomplishments they made to the game bred dog, very few of them actually pass that on.And again i will say if breeding practice's have been adequatately achieved, then yes today's dogs should be able to take it to those of the past. Remember Keep's(feed) also again have come along way, there for, lets say you had the two identical dogs but fed what they did back then and put in said person's keep, today you may just have the edge on the other one. Remember ther have been so many dogs in the past that people have said,"he should have wipped him, but he wasn't right. i think personally there are to many variables to go down that path, what one does today, will not do tomorrow, could a clone give someone a great foundation to produce great bulldogs is proberbly the first question id ask, and in answering myself, i would have to say "yes" i think it would.

9. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

If the progeny of one's intended clones don't produce in kind or better, then what's the use of cloning the dog? Without diversities of the right sort, and variables of the same, how do things ever, even slightly, realistically improve over time? Are advocates of cloning in favor of status quo?
    If I have a good stud dog, and he produces dogs which cannot produce at least in kind, then why would I key up on that evidential dead end?
    The whole idea of breeding is to have the admix which creates a proper and desired "continuum", to include any possible improvement over the past. While cloning may PRESERVE, it will never create this continuum, as we have to live with and judge such continual flow, as it tells us what is successful to continue with and what is not. I feel the same as to freezing sperm. It serves a fine purpose for preservation, yet the hopes of tomorrow will still always lie in what is in the continuum.
    I save sperm from dogs which have not only produced, but it's progeny produced as well, and they are always dogs I would have liked to have bred more often. But it's the prowess it's progeny show that tells me it is a viable endeavor to preserve the sperm of such dog. Just my logic, I guess.

10. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

The way I look at it is if I wanted a dog off so and so GR CH 40xW ROM POR do diddly dum. If I could get that dogs genetic equal instead of what Cory cringe has bred down from him and crossed with what Larry snoodels had that was off the same basic line. I'm gonna pick the genetic equal.

I do see that advances in conditioning and nutrition should make today's dogs have a better foundation than say a dog of 40 years ago. If u had said dog from 40 years ago that was able to benefit from these same advancements he to should be better than what he was then.

To be honest I would say price will prevent any real chance of this option being viable. If it ever was affordable I would really be interested to see what the outcome would be.

Until then I guess we have to stick with what is our best option. At this point line breeding seems to be it.

Shotgun
    Arkansas

11. brad

brad Pup

What is required to pull enough dna from to clone? If its tissue then there would be no way to clone a dog from the past. However if semen or bone can be used then it could be interesting to see. If anyone has the contact info for a lab doing it shoot me it in a pm and ill call and find out.

12. cgdog

cgdog Pup

this conversation came up 10 years ago on a msg board. I think if you cant produce good dogs and even better then previous then your not doing it right. I only see it as big money maker for peddlers. Past is the past.

13. JayW

JayW Big Dog

To each his own.... but if I could, (through cloning) preserve the kind of genetics that produces three Gr chs and numerous other 1x and 2xers.... Like say... Cardenas Shorty x Hall's & Blackriver's Dempsey did in a SINGLE breeding...... I'd clone their a**es off.

There may be no guarantees in this deal..... but that's about as close to one as your gonna get.

14. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

Stop living in the past and dreaming about dogs that have long been dead. It does no good. Perhaps look at the here n now?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

15. JayW

JayW Big Dog

Fair enough.....Back to potlickers of the present.lol

16. bounty

bounty Big Dog

I vaguely remember some stock horse getting cloned a few years ago. Maybe someone can research that. They cloned the horse because it was a great producer so they thought they would give it another shot.

I'd feed a clone of Honeybunch or Arts Missy.

17. nmdogs

nmdogs Big Dog

I think I remember a thread on here about some
    lady going to south Korea to get her apbt cloned
    this was a few years ago !

nmdogs

18. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Another great post as usual TDK....I dont give out praises very often but when I do , I really mean it LOL.