1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Commercial feeds are they better ?

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by jt ellison, May 7, 2012.

1. jt ellison

jt ellison Big Dog

Are commercial feeds better for maintainance feeding and conditioning

2. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

i have always fed meat & vegetables.

3. jt ellison

jt ellison Big Dog

Thats fine if your feeding only a couple of dogs but what if your feeding a large yard ? Also when conditioning would a dog not need a change of diet to combat the increased workload and energy use ?

4. ultimatek9

ultimatek9 Top Dog

I feed strictly meat/bone/organs to my guys. Every so often I will throw in some veggies, but not very often. Not sure what you consider a large yard, but I feed 15lbs of meat a day to my pack. If you can make friends with your local butchers and hunters, you can score all kinds of stuff. Most butchers have scraps that they pay a rendering company to pick up, and are more than willing to give it to you for your hounds. I make a weekly run to one little shop not far from us, and get about 100lb of ground meat/bone w/organs in one haul. I haven't paid to feed my dogs in almost a year. I still buy them marrow bones though.

5. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

The number of dogs that you have doesnt change the quality of the feed you feed.

6. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

i get meat for very cheap as i have contacts in that trade in processing plants, it is actually cheaper for me to feed meat than it is to feed a high grade kibble. the only difference i feel is needed when conditioning is to increase the amounts by quite a bit.

7. PitNoob

PitNoob Big Dog

meat,organs,bone,kibble (innova evo, orijen,wellness, timberwolf, nature's variety,taste of the wild,blue wilderness, and diamond naturals.), and cooked foods. The choice of food varies depending on the time, work, and the dog's individual preference. However, the staple is definitely raw.

8. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

as a usual rule i do not feed meat raw, it does not sit easy with me, in my job i have to have an understanding of food hygene, i like to take all food to a safe heat of 75c which means lightly boiling it for a couple of minutes.i have had food poisoning, it is not nice.i sometimes make an exception and fed a raw knuckle bone but they tend to be as fresh as can be when i get them.

9. Mr.Revolution

Mr.Revolution CH Dog

dogs and people two diff things.

10. jt ellison

jt ellison Big Dog

I always fed as natural as possible this meant raw meat like the wild dogs would eat as long as the meat is free of worm cyst or blood born disease there should be no problem feeding it raw to a dog or a human . I never fed commercial feeds in a keep but used cereals and grains fit for human consumption with no salt content or additives or preservatives , i fed only organic vegetables grown without pesticides and and boiled water only and carbhohydrates that were natural . I tried to replace the dogs diet with what i felt a wild dog would eat feeding different meals at various stages of conditioning , much of what i learned about feeding i learned myself through trial and error then Mayfield gave me some advice on feeding and i began to understand better , he told me to increase the amount of feed twice or three times in some dogs and he proved to be correct , the way i was feeding was correct i just wasnt feeding enough , the major part of conditioning lies in the feedpan .

11. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

mr revolution, thanks, i never knew that :-)

12. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

obviously u dont cause your ruining the meat

13. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

so when meat is cooked and extruded to make kibble that really must be heavily ruined. i have known dogs get ill through eating raw meat, a friend had one die in a keep , i will take my chances with lightly boiling it.the dogs do not seem to do too bad on it.