1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

converted to outdoor dog

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by viegas703, Jul 19, 2010.

1. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

So my pup at 8 3/4 months old has always been kept inside. I decided to make the switch and keep him out side. Hes staying at a house down the stree(my second home basically) with no dogs. Theres a kennel set up that hes staying in. Its been 3 days so far and everyone of them had a thunderstorm. Hes very uncomfortable while trying to get used to his new surroundings. hopefully this goes away as fast as possible. Any of you have to deal with this when converting indoor to outdoor? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. venom

venom Top Dog

The biggest thing is the interaction.
    He'll be fine, as long as you pay attention to him. Him being down the street at your second home and not your first... he's still going to need attention and care on a daily basis. Especially since he was an inside dog for his entire life span. Might be harder for him rather than a dog who already has limited interaction instead of unlimited interaction. But he should be fine.

3. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

I figuered. By second home, i mean a home that im at just as much as the first one. Ive been with him and letting him get his free time and interaction, im not just gonna throw him there and forget about him. Hes dong better today. thanks

4. Rojas

Rojas Big Dog

Keep at it, dogs are creatures of habit, it may take some time, but eventually your dog will get used to being a outside dog.

5. quinny

quinny Big Dog

Stormy weather, that's a bitch! How does he go in the storms? I'd say he should be right with the conversion. Like venom said as long as he gets his fair share of your time and interaction while he's there he should do just fine. What do you mean by uncomfortable? What sort of signs does he show you? Some of my dogs have sooked a bit when first getting used to being outdoors any long period of time, They learn to get over it soon and occupy themselves. I'd try letting him inside for a while each day and outside for the rest. Slowly increase his time outside til he gets more familiar and comfortable with it.

6. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

Yeah the storms were a bitch. By uncomfortable i mean a bit nervous, its a new enviroment and living condition for him. But hes gotten better.