1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Crate Question

Discussion in 'Tips' started by fake_usa, Dec 25, 2008.

1. fake_usa

fake_usa Pup

I have a wire cage my dog goes into the cage herself when I tell her to but she crys when I start walking away.
    Mondays are the worst because she doesn't go into the crate on the weekends when I'm home. She's bites the cage wires when I'm not home and I'm worried she is going to break her teeth.

I was thinking about building a plywood box to cover the sides, top, and back of the cage to make it seem darker or more "den like"

Do you think this is a good or bad idea?

Also, I've been leaving the light on for her, I wonder if she would like the room darker better?

Thanks for the help,

2. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

You should make it a point to giver her some crate time on the weekends. I also would not have her in a wire crate, she could get hurt. If she is pitching a fit you could try white vinegar and water in spray bottle. imo

3. Dreamer

Dreamer Big Dog

How much time is she in a crate a day during the week?

And I'd get something other than a wire crate -- one of the better airline crates would be better (Vari-Kennel -- beware the cheap plastic ones with the cheap doors) -- less to get hold of, although a determined dog will try to get out of anything. I had a friend who crates her dogs too much and they slowly ate the floors out....they were just bored and desperate...

Personally, I don't think making it more "den-like" would help.

Dreamer

4. fake_usa

fake_usa Pup

I only keep her in the create while I'm at work (9am to 5pm) the people at the Humane Society said that would be fine. I walk her once before work and then 2-3 times around the neighborhood at night, I also play outside with her for about an hour each day in my back yard.

Those Vari-Kennels look nice, are they the best ones you can buy? I don't might spending the money on the best kind for the dog as long as it will hold up over her entire lifetime.

Thanks guys,

5. fake_usa

fake_usa Pup

good idea of the weekend crate time but what's the spray for? to spray it on her?

6. pitbullcliff

pitbullcliff Banned

My male does the same thing. When he goes in his varikennel he will whine and be a pain in the butt. I learned when I totally covered his varikennel with a blanket he quiets right down and relaxes.
    Just something you could try.

Good Luck,Cliff

7. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

IDK what a vari kennel is, but I wouldn't make it more den-like by using wood. Just use a blanket or something like that..........My boy used to do that, covered him w/ a blanket and it was gone. He is not a chewer, is your dog a chewer? Think the dog would chew the blanket?

I have a nightlight on for my dogs when I go to work, it does not cost a fortune and gives them a lil light...

8. Michele

Michele CH Dog Super Moderator

No more wire hangers:D

Seriously, i would not use a wire crate. Also, make the crate a positive experience. Crates are supposed to be safe havens or 'dens' for the dog. Put a t-shirt with your scent in the crate with the dog.

9. fake_usa

fake_usa Pup

I bought a Petmate Vari-Kennel today from Petsmart.
    http://www.petmate.com/Products/Vari-Kennel-Ultra__21534.aspx
    I drove to two stores and both only had the Premium Vari-kennels in two sizes, Small and Giant (48 x 32 x 35). I bought the Giant, I really wanted a Large (36 x 25 x 27) but they did not have it and ordering it online was a joke, shipping was over $100.

Petsmart has a deal right now for 20% off all dog crates. It was $200 - 20% so it ended up costing me around $175 including tax.
    Anyway I just hope the kennel being so large does not entice her to crap inside it.
    I heard the dogs should only be able to turn around in the crate or else they will crap. I guess I'll find out. I was sitting inside it with her and put a worn t-shirt in there for her as well. She seemed to like it but we'll see how much she likes it Monday. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2008