1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

creatine

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by eddieem, Sep 25, 2010.

1. eddieem

eddieem Big Dog

when using it do you guys give it to a dog on an empty stomach or mix it in with there food? also do you cycle em on and off or just do it during keep? Do you load it like humans? Also, when using whey protein do you use one gram per pound of body weight for a bit a see what kind of results you get and go from there or what?

2. Yas

Yas Big Dog

Creatine works best the first time it is used. A small dose pre and post workout with a little grape juice works best. I would recommend the Biotest brand of German creatine. Creatine also helps with alkalization of the body (the more alkaline the more anabolic).
    I have no experience of it but apparently effervescent creatine works really well, I read about it in a book on humans called "Building The Perfect Beast" but don`t have the book with me.

Protein: 1.2-1.4g/kg day for endurance training
    1.7-1.8g/kg day for strength training

Eg. Weight (in pounds) = 55lbs
    Weight in kg = 55/2.2 = 25kg
    25kg x 1.7gms of protein = 42.5 gms per day

3. punch650

punch650 Big Dog

so u dont have to put any in his food

4. Tank1

Tank1 Big Dog

It will get in the system faster mixed with a liquid

5. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

I would never give my dog creatine and especially grape juice. I wouldn't use whey protein either. I would just give them raw meat.

6. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

i agree wit WD, yoiur dog aint a lab rat bro!! first off grapes are bad for dogs.
    second they got more effective supplements that are made especially for canine athletic enhancement.

7. TASOSCHATZ

TASOSCHATZ Big Dog

A safe side point of view. There are studies of human consumption creatine, I am not aware of any canine studies. It is known that humans can load, except from the usual 5 days 20gr a day method, if they add 2-3 gr of creatine in a postworkout drink. These drinks usually contain whey protein which tends to have a faster energy release and carbs. It has been found that in a month's time the subject will load at the same level as with the traditional method. Assume that a medium/light human in weight training is about 80kg (176lb) and uses 2 gr per day, the analogy for a dog of medium+ weight of 20kg (44lb) would be 0.5gr of creatine per day. If a dog in training eats, lets say 400gr beef per day, it more than covers this 0.5gr of creatine since it is contained in red meat. If I was to use creatine on a dog, I wouldn't give more than 1gr per day, no matter what. Everything I post is based on knowledge about humans and assumptions regarding dogs.

8. eddieem

eddieem Big Dog

i know how to use it on myself...was wondering if anyone had any experience using on bulldogs

9. Yas

Yas Big Dog

I don`t use creatine, at the moment i`m not conditioning dogs at a level that would benefit from it. If I was then I would choose between creatine and ribose as an aid to delay the critical drop off point.

While grapes are toxic to dogs there is no info on how the consumption of grape juice affects dogs, there is very little certainty as to what part of the grape is toxic. This is why I said a "little". You could try a different type of juice but it would need to be like grape juice in that it creates a decent sized insulin spike to get the creatine into the muscle cells.

While it is agreed that a good quality raw meat is a better form of protein, it is useless as post-workout nutrition as it takes too long to breakdown. There are very few whey proteins that are actually of good quality, most are poor to say the least, and while it could be said that dogs shouldn`t have whey because it is dairy the same can also be said for humans.

10. Yas

Yas Big Dog

As the man said.

11. Buddy Red

Buddy Red Pup

I have used creatine monohydrate while getting into body building and I know first hand the pros and the cons to the stuff and with that being said I would never give it to one of my dogs, you would be better off giving your dogs steroids than creatine if your purpose is to build muscle. Just do it naturally may get better results without all the possible side effects.

12. punch650

punch650 Big Dog

thanks u guys are a big help;)

13. pitbull4.6

pitbull4.6 Big Dog

BAD, BAD, BAD. Get them on a real diet/food and you wont need to worry about weight control. I cant belive you ever considered it.

14. oldslowblue

oldslowblue Big Dog

The best supplement to use is K9 super fuel. Add directly to feed in addition to H2o, additive for electrolyte, and a lil flax seed oil! ;) Trust me