1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Cure for car sickness???

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by D Game Butcher, Jun 11, 2010.

1. D Game Butcher

D Game Butcher Big Dog

Ive got a dog that is impressing me by the day. I got her from RB right off his yard, but every time I take her for a drive she slobbers horribly until she throws up, and then continues slobbering. Now I know its a little young to be sure, but Id hate to have a good dog that gets sick on the drive.:eek:

2. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

They will eventually get over it. Mine use to get sick and puke. Now he can go forever in the car.

3. Robber

Robber Big Dog

The majority of pups I have had, just need a few short 5 minute trips to build up to it and then they are fine. You can give them half a Dramamine pill (or a big adult dog a whole one) and that can help, too, although I have had a few that nothing would help. Those few happened to have been kept almost exclusively inside until I got them, so not sure if that is coincicdence or not.

4. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

my dog is almost two years old, he is in the car at least 3 to 4 times a week since he was 12 weeks old. he still gets car sick. i was told this is some what common in game bred dogs. not sure if that is true or not

5. websterz28

websterz28 Big Dog

I have one of those nothing will help ones, shes gotten car sick since the first time i took her out in a car after i got her... i could put her in her crate and not even move the car yet and she is already drooling bout 2-5minutes in she will puke.. then shes will be ok for 3-4 hours of driving then shell prolly puke again. she gets pretty dehydrated and she doesnt act like her bad little self..luckily she gets over the sickness/dehydraation pretty quick so if you are going to a big adba show just go a day or two early. if your dog gets badly dehydrated you could give it pedialyte and if it was bad dehydrated you could give it some iv fluids. its not a big deal if they get sick and puke(ie short trip),but it is a verrrry big deal if they dehydrate themselves by doing so.

6. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

does the Dramamine make them drowsy at all?

7. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

don't feed the dog in the hours before driving. Put the dog in a proper sized crate in the car, not loose-this will help prevent much of the swaying and fast moving visual stimulation that brings on the motion sickness.

8. Robber

Robber Big Dog

Well, yeah, although that will just make less mess - doesn't seem to prevent them from getting sick, there's just less to come up :(

This does help some, but again others it seems to make no difference. Plus, then you end up with a puke covered dog...:(

9. MISSAPBT

MISSAPBT Top Dog

My girl is the same, shes only 5 months tho so she should get over it. Got a Show to go to 3 hours away on sunday so well see how the dramamine works :)

10. Phebes

Phebes Pup

My 4 year old female would get sick just putting her in a car. At almost 2 I just started putting her in the car for 5 minutes then go back inside the house, next day the same thing, the following week I would turn on the car, following week drive down the driveway and so on until we could go 5 mioes without a reaction. I now can take her on drives lasting hours.

11. peppapig

peppapig Banned

if you dont want it being sick in the car.......theres a 100% cure......dont have it in the car...........:dogtongue:

12. ebady23

ebady23 Pup

Ding ding ding we have a winner. I had one that would drool soon as you put him in the car. I started just putting him in the car and talking to him and later turning the car on and just sitting there. It works like a champ...same as you will do with one that wont run a mill. Encourage first and then slowly build them up.