1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

DA discussion

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by CrazyK9, Aug 21, 2008.

1. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Alot of dogs will display those threatening signs such as barking, growling, raised hair, baring of their teeth as they are growing up, while I don't encourage it, I let the dog do it unchecked due to they should have an interest in other dogs like that. When they calm down 2 blocks later, I absolutely praise them, they did what was expected of them, showed interest. It's a confidence builder to them as they are maturing and they are telling you they have an interest. Most dogs that get another set of teeth put in them tend to either fully stop showing signs like the ones I mentioned yet show no doubt their intentions of comming over or they show no interest in having to prove themselves and will ignore other dogs unless fully confronted. Their is always the total shattering of their confidence and they cur out completely which may or may not make them act differently when they see other dogs or they become totally fight crazy. I perfer the dog that shows no signs, they just want to come over but don't feel the need to cause a scene. or at least thats what I learned on Game-dog.com ;)

2. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

i let the dog have their own personality. i dont see a need in praising for aggressive behavior bc it causes a scene on walks and might just be a show anyways bc thats what the dog thnks you want them to do. If they do that naturally then i wont discourage it but there is a difference in a dog that starts lunging at a dog 5 feet away versus a dog that lunges and barks at a dog they know you arent gonna let them get at that was never anywhere near them. EIther way i just let them be themselves

3. scooter

scooter Big Dog

I absolutley allow the dog to tell me how he feels. I own gamebred dogs. If I had a cold dog so be it, I am not ashamed of him, he is bred like I like them bred or I wouldn't own him. I have never had a cold dog though. I have had some slow starters that when turned were shall we say.. certainly noticed.
    I do show my dogs, not often though, I am certainly not at all the shows by any means.
    I had this one dog that acted like a pure damn fool in the show ring. It was dam near embarrassing I tell you. Of course he didn't win, but about 10 fellas gave me their number for if and when I bred him.
    I never did breed him and I am wishing today that I had.
    I must say, I do not take my dogs and go waltzing down the street with them either. There are way too many loose dogs for that.
    They are used to each other on the yard and only occassionally act out toward each other. Let that stray trot down the street and you would think the hounds of hell were loose.
    They are APBT and I let them do what they were bred to do. See a dog and act a fool.

4. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

Why not let a bulldog be a bulldog????????????

5. DEATH-GRIP

DEATH-GRIP Banned

BECAUSE some dumb fuck Judges dont know the difference between bully's & bulldogs !!!

6. jazavac

jazavac Pup

I hate to interject in this thread as a new poster; However, I disagree strongly with much that's been posted so I'll say my piece.

I'd like to establish that it's my opinion that everyone should train their dog to their needs/wants. But if your dog is dog aggressive and you don't feel the need to correct him for it, he should never be walked in a residential area or a public park. Your inviting trouble and believe me eventually you'll find it. This doesn't mean praising him half the time when you feel it's appropriate, it means 100% of the time no matter how much he was in the right and provoked you correct him. Leaving a dog to judge a situation is inviting trouble, and once again your going to find it.

My advise to all the posters who feel the need to take a dog for a walk; Head down to pound and pick up a nice friendly athletic hound and walk him around. Work your working dog on your own property and don't invite trouble as it's looking for you to begin with.

7. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

ah hah. I knew it, lotta those dog show people are only breeding because a dog barks. thats just ridiculous. Im glad someone likes their dog to be active, but too many old men I know that have used dogs for a long time say plainly they are in no way impressed by this behavior. my mom has a dachsund who fires off like a muthu fukkah, and that dont mean he is a potential gr ch. Personally I like when dogs bark....cur dogs barking at wild hogs.

8. old goat

old goat CH Dog

:)the dog should always be under controll when you have them on a leash . walking down the road through a park where ever . you can't work right if they are always trying to get another dog . and people who see them act this way when walking your dog will think bad of you and your dog . a game dog knows what he can do . he does'nt need to act stupid . in the country or where ever you are walking you should never let your dog get a hold of another . many of bulldogs have worked with other dogs around them . if a dog comes up to you and want go away pick your dog up never let him get a hold of another dog or animal .

9. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

If you dont want your dogs to be DA,just get another breed...Some dogs scream,some bark, and some dont do shit but go after what they want silently.
    And if you concerned about what people think about you cuz your dog is actin a ass every time they see another dog, find some place else to walk...
    See, alot of people are fuckin with theses dogs for the wrong reason.. Some folk wanna try to make this breed something other than what it is.These are the folks that feel sorry because Bulldog-style dogs are being singled out.Or they feel sorry For the mutts they see getting adopted out because some one "made their dog fight". These folks try to show off these dogs to the world in a new light... But guess what, A bulldog is always gonna be a bulldog and I wouldnt have it any other way.
    And you know what else, BSL only effects the people who let their dogs and yards be seen by any and everybody...
    Keep your dogs out of the public and stop downing people who dont give a fuck if a dog shows aggression or not...
    I am done ranting but it is alot of pussies on this board...

10. old goat

old goat CH Dog

this p***y been with the dogs over 30 years and i walked alot more than most . this breed has had a bad name from the begining . alot of people live in the city and you should always care what peoole are thinking or you might go to the polky .

11. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

I think you've about summed it up lol.

12. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

Well we each have our own opinions on the topic... Born and raised in the city but that dont mean people got to see my shit... You go to the "polky" when you do stupid shit or you allow others to be in your business... But my point remains the same.. Why try and change the dog? Nothing positive will come of it? And by the way,no one has ever been arrested cuz they dog acted a donkey in public.

13. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

:nothing:........................

14. old goat

old goat CH Dog

you don't take there drive from them or change them by making them pay attension to you and not the dogs running around . there have been sh*T loads of top dogs that knows when to do their thing . ch's and gr ch's . and yes if your dog get another animal then you are in trouble .

15. rikjd

rikjd Pup

Train your dog to what your happy with, at the end of the day youve gotta live with it and work with it. My dog knows that i wont tolerate it starting a fight but if a stray comes up and acts the fool she knows shes got full blown permission to get the mutt if i dont kick it first. If you spend time with your dog long enough they become tuned to your mindset and emotions. So you could say i dont correct aggression unless its unwarranted.

16. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

let the dog be a dog, my dog isnt the barky type. He sees another dog and he pulls agressively and lunges the best he can. but he aint annoying about it.

17. old goat

old goat CH Dog

a working dog would wear itself out if it was to use so much energy on something he could not have . and when the dog gets a mutt your in trouble . maybe in 10-15 years from now if you st:rolleyes:ill have dogs then you will know .

18. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

I completely agree 100% with this statement many times people see a dog acting out so hysterically towards another dog thinking it will shred the other if it were to get a hold of it but many times it's just a dog acting very UN confident. I am not saying a dog who is truly DA maybe wouldn't act this way but from most of my experiences it's usually the case plus there are other body languages to read aside from just a noisy dog sounding like it is a monster.

Now let's say a stray is running loose while I am on a walk with my girl and she certainly feels challenged or threaten by the stray coming close then I wouldn't think she is just putting on a show at all nor would I discourage her from acting upon the situation or encourage her to attack it if it's truly not going to bother us big big differences. So with this stated if my girl decides to act out a little to much when there is nothing to be threaten by then yes I will direct her to stop it and continue to focus and move on but she is pretty good for me her hair tends to stand up from head to tail and her tail shoots straight up every time she sees or hears another dog, but she doesn't just lash out and want to drag me every time sometimes she may begin pulling and growling but I also notice it's from dogs who may be displaying similar attitudes which gives me a reason to believe that is very natural and I wouldn't correct that if another dog is threatening my dog as well. That's how I feel for this ;)

19. Holdndown

Holdndown Pup

Some say it is easy to ruin a dog by being dominate or training there dog. Retrivers are trained to behave then taken to the water, and the ones that pass go on to work retrieving in the water and the ones that don't become someone pet. If you think you can ruin a dog maybe you don't have the dog you think you do.

20. old goat

old goat CH Dog

ha ha i know you don't know anything about game dog . when you walk a good one down the street and a dog is coming on the same side as you . they will cross the street to get to the other side before they go past you . they see it in the dogs eyes and knows there is trouble coming . they NEVER have any thought that they can be beat . i think 30+ years with the dogs tells me the dog can't be ruined by teaching them to stay focused on what you want . if you don't like me telling the real truth then don't read the post . how do you think they conditioned dogs in the city hide them and no hand walking . NEVER