1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Deer Season

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by redwar, Sep 26, 2014.

1. redwar

redwar Big Dog

Deer season opens here tomorrow. I realize for some it may have already been on for a week or two. Good fortune to all those going out, shoot straight and be safe.

2. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Archery starts here next Saturday. Got the spot all set up and ready to go. Good luck to all you Hunters out there. Be safe and if you got a kid or kids, involve them too. Keeps them brats out of trouble.. :lol:

3. feastodg

feastodg Big Dog

Archery started last weekend. I really wanted to pick up a bow and start learning how to really hunt but I've been so busy with work. I know fuckall about bow hunting so hopefully I'll grab a new bow after the season on sale and harvest next year.

4. redwar

redwar Big Dog

Feastdog, you can always start with a xbow that's is my choice as of now(still need to practice a bunch arrows are not bullets, but a Ramcat makes them just as deadly lol), but my bow shot is coming along well. I saw a nice this morning and a big doe but they stayed in some thick brush. The place I hunted today is very thick may get a 30yd shot but nothing definite over that. I will post a pic when I get something tasty for my plate. What about some favorite recipes? I am having venison Lasagna tonight, had some loin from last year Wed. cooked like this. This is not my recipe but it is delicious.

Vension backstrap.
    Bacon - thin sliced and cheap
    Toothpicks
    Cream cheese
    Kikkoman Teriyaki-Soy Sauce Marinade
    Garlic powder (not garlic salt!)
    Pepper
    Pepper-Jack cheese - thin slices
    Jalapenos - remove seeds and dice or cut into slivers
    Onion - Dice or cut into slivers 1" long

Lay the backstap out and cut 1/2 - 1” filets then butterfly them.

Dip the meat into a shallow dish of the teriyaki-soy sauce marinade. Then dust both sides of the meat with garlic powder and pepper.

Now spread cream cheese on one entire side of the meat.

Add onion and Jalapeno slivers on top of the cream cheese.

Take one side of the meat and roll it all up.

Wrap the roll with two half strips of bacon so the bacon strips are side by side and secure each bacon strip with a toothpick. I have found that half strips of bacon work better than whole strips. Whole strips seem to be too much.

Put aluminum foil over the grill.

Cook on the grill until the bacon is how would like to eat it.

A couple of minutes before you think the venison is done cooking add a slice of pepper jack cheese to top of each roll and let melt.

Remove and cool for a couple of minutes (the cream cheese will be very hot) and dig in.

Even the non-venison eating people you know will love this!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
  5. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

If you like jalapeños dice some up and throw in there with your cream cheese...that's if you like them .I do something similar ..I butterfly the tenderloin and put cream cheese and jalapeños and then wrap with bacon and toothpick...U can do this with a pork tenderloin to...Cook at a low temp because if you cook it to high bacon will get done before the loin..I also put a dry rub on sometimes before I wrap the bacon and sometimes I put it on the bacon...Use and create your own special rub.

6. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I been working on a sauce recipe it's actually green in color so I named it the Hulk..Introduced it last night and it was a hit..They were even putting it on salad lol..But it's for meat and it's very good but I guess if they like it on salad also that's fine to..Not one drop left out of half a gallon of sauce.

7. redwar

redwar Big Dog

That sounds great, any hints as to that recipe or is it top secret? you can pm me. lol

8. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Lol it's a secrete ..I make a lot of sauces ,different flavors..I just have a good base and when you have a good solid base it's easy to add just about any flavor you like.

9. redwar

redwar Big Dog

Thanks for the idea, I will try the jalapenos this Wed when I make some more tenderloins, just picked some from the garden and I like them just not by the bunch. If you get a sauce batch and think of it jar it and send it over, i will slather it on some stuff. I have made some very tasty sauces and rubs as well but recently one of my buddies wives is doing a spice and rub business and I have been using/loving there stuff .Always looking for something new to try, as eating is one of my great joys lol
    Anyone else have a good venison recipe they can share?

10. old goat

old goat CH Dog

who's got some pics of the deer they've killed this year ?

11. feastodg

feastodg Big Dog

I didn't snag any pics cause I was so pissed but I hit a deer friday, fucked the front pf my truck up a bit. There was like a herd of doe rampaging out of the woods, 3 other people hit deer too. I was able to dodge the first but the next just jumped right out into my grill.

12. redwar

redwar Big Dog

Feast-hopefully you threw her in back of the truck and got some burger out of it..lol I have been out a bunch of times but only had a shot at some small ones, I passed. I am looking for a few nice sized does to fill my freezer for the year, then I may take a few small tasty ones, I try for bucks during the rut other than that doe, doe, doe.