1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

demodex mange

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by rajennn, Jan 7, 2010.

1. cajunpits

cajunpits Pup

aludex just another name for amitraz an yes it works very well but if you don't like dipping the dog then buy some Preventic collars (9%armitraz) http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&pf_id=4094 that works well too. Put on the dog like a flea collar an forget it.
    An for you woody like you young ppl like to say "back in the day" the burned motor oil was used an it WORKED ..why did we use it? there was NOTHING else.It was high in sulfur content an that went a long way in the treatment. Now days I never do it with all the addatives they now put in new motor oil an that is harmful to a pup.
    TAKTIC is way cheaper then Mitaban are the Aludex that a vet will sell you there both Amitraz prouducts

2. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

that tactic sh*t will chase you outta a room:D.

3. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

and if 35 is young, why do i feel so old in the morning? lol

4. rajennn

rajennn Big Dog

will finish the bottle of aludex and take it from there. thnx cajun

5. cajunpits

cajunpits Pup

well wood I can't help you with the mornin part but I can tell you why that hair came back .....

6. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

im listening

7. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Actually the used motor oil does work for the mange, Wipe the spots down with it and make sure it doesn't get in the dogs eyes or the nose and mouth. We used this when I was a boy and it worked and I have used it on dogs that came down with it over the years and it has always worked good, Doesn't make them sick or irritate the skin or anything like that.

For worms use a good quality dewormer that you can get over in England and just follow the instructions on dosing and things of that nature and then after that just be sure to feed a good diet and the dog should be fine.

8. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i am by no means doubting that it worked, otherwise i wouldnt have heard about it again and again. i just believe we gotta have something nowadays that works as well if not better that isnt intended for automotive use.

9. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Oh there are several things out there that work good, This is just another one of the home remedies that will work. Most home remedies sound downright dangerous but they work, If I told folks the things I got as a boy when I would get ill they would run screaming the other way or just think I didn't like them and was trying to kill them.

10. cajunpits

cajunpits Pup

you said it your self "as she got old" you can feed her all the vit. an good food you want it won't help !!! now treat the depressed immune system with antibiotic an helpl it fight off what she can't do because her immume system isn't mature enough yet ( but thats cost way to much).....in her case her immune system caught up with her age ....what happened to her is she out grew it

11. If you want something that has high sulfur content use Nu-Stock

12. cajunpits

cajunpits Pup

thats true boogie an thats another treatment but before your choice to use Nu-Stock be sure that dog is a outside dog as that is some stinky shit.
    it comes down to this with 90-95% of the pups that have demodex there is 2 things you can do 1) treat it an it will go away 2) ignore it an it will go way, the othe small % will border on being put down because any treatment they try the dog will respond then they relapse no matter of what the age

13. rajennn

rajennn Big Dog

i like your avatar boogieman :) i just dont want to make it any worse by trying too many different stuff

14. rajennn

rajennn Big Dog

I saw a thread done that mentioned nustock but to be honest i just want a cheap and garunteed solution that will work

15. gameone

gameone Big Dog

Anybody ever use borax soap.It works good

16. Leslie H

Leslie H Big Dog

I'm with woody on this. Dips are way too harsh. Improve the diet, it gives the pup's body some resources to strengthen the immune system. If it worsens to the point of being generalized, treat w/ivermectin (and don't breed the dog, the weaker immune system is inheritable). Months w/the situation only worsening, then I'd add antibiotics. Many pup's immune systems will strengthen between 8-12 months, as they mature. Dogs who had really bad cases may have flare ups throughout their lives.

17. cajunpits

cajunpits Pup

Les if you don't mind telling me about how long did it take the last pup you treated to totaly recover an show no signs of the red mange

18. gameone

gameone Big Dog

Ok pups can get mange from stress..So it wouldnt be inheritable if the dog was breed..Mange is a mite.We have generations of dogs never really a mange problem once in a blue moon we have gotten it.They never threw a pup or a dog that came down with it.Ivomecten is great we also use broax soap.And cured the few with either or both.If real bad we would use peroxcide with the broax soap.Plus Borax is a great cleaner for kennels.

19. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

we always use ivermectin and Nu Stock and they are good as new in no time

20. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

Ivermectin and Nustock should do the trick. Also get the pup on a good diet (raw diet would be great). Try to keep him happy and stress free. As the pup matures his immune system will get stronger. But it could come back again if the dog is under heavy stress.
    Motor oil should never be used because it causes skin cancer. Just read the label on any brand of motor oil and it clearly states that continuous contact with used motor oil has caused cancer in laboratory animals.
    Mr. Hollingsworth used it as a treatment for mange and his dogs got cancer.