1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

demodex mange

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by rajennn, Jan 7, 2010.

1. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

If you cant wait mate, get malaseb shampoo. your vet will give you it or you can get the stuff of ebay. Google about it and what it treats. Sounds like ethier you pup came from a not so good breeder or your really unlucky lol. I see you say the pups not putting on weight, hasnt been wormd and has manage.

2. KADO

KADO Pup

Ivermectin and Nu-Stock. It will clear up in no time.

3. kera5

kera5 Big Dog

thanks oldtimer,youg folk today just don't know the cheaper way out,they think the more money you spend,the better it might work:D

4. NuStock and ivermectin are pretty damn cheap. Using motor oil on a dog is simply retarded I don't care who is telling you to do so.

5. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

idk if anyone already said this but if you havent used heart gaurd DO NOT USE ivermectin. it will kill your dog, just so you know

6. Leslie H

Leslie H Big Dog

I believe that could be a risk if the dog had an advanced case of heartworm, not likely in a young pup, but possible in an older dog. My understanding was that if a dog has a serious infestation of heartworms, the meds would kill them, and the protein of the dead worms throws the dog's system off like a toxin. I'm not real solid on the accuracy of this though.

cajun, my current dog took between 1-2 months on the ivermectin. She was about 5 months old, I'd given it a chance to resolve on its own, but she was just getting worse.
    Had an American Bulldog years back who we treated w/ivermectin for a number of months, but couldn't resolve it. A breeder suggested a course of antibiotics along w/the ivo, for 30 days, this worked.
    On the other hand, we did a breeding for a friend, (AB's) he got the female as an adult, used an out of state stud. Likely both dogs had had demo as youngsters. By 4 months, the whole litter had significant demo, by 12 months, all but 1 were put down, their demo was so extreme. My friends had one pup. She had chronic yeast infections, frequent skin infections, it wasn't until she was over 2 that the vet felt her immune system was strong enough to spay her.
    I wouldn't breed any dog that had generalized demo. Weakened immune systems are inheritable.

7. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Well like Boogieman said both the products he recommends are very reasonable, But sometimes you can't get them or something prevents you from doing so. But most folks will always have motor oil on hand and when they know how to do it the right way will treat the dog just as well.

Main thing is though that you get a product or two that you like and have good results with and stick with it. First thing is if you are not comfortable with using something your not going to get very far with it.

I don't think it is as long as it works, Never seen any adverse reactions with it either.

I was just curious why you have such a strong aversion to it, Did you try it and have a bad experience with it or did someone you know use it and have bad results or something?

8. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Big Dog

I had a serious case. I treated with ivomec/antibiotics/mitaban, for over 2 years. When I would stop it would come back. Every time. Most would not of treated this long, but I liked the dog. I ended up having to put him down due to the severity of it. Mange this bad is the extreme. I would expect it go away after 2-3 months of treatment with the above. You do want to continue treatment for a little while after it clears up, just to make sure it is gone.

9. gameone

gameone Big Dog

I rememebr as a kid motor oil was the only way they did it back then.They also mixed it with sulfer it works i do know that.I was on another thread takin about Ivermecten and im tryin to rememebr when I first heard about ivomec I can only think around the mid to late 80s for some reason.

10. rhumble

rhumble Big Dog

how to put that agressiff treament around the eyes...?

11. If we are speaking about an APBT, which since we are on game-dog.com I assume we are, this statement is complete and utter bullshit.

The only way you would have anything bad come out of using it is if your dog is infested with heart worms. So one might go get a heart worm test done first. If that's what you mean, you might want to make your statement a little clearer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2010
  12. OT I just think it's ridiculous to use it for ANY reason when there are safe, acceptable meds and treatments for a very reasonable price. There's lots of things that were done in the "old days" that have now been proven unsafe or wrong (however you wanna look at it) and safe effective methods have been developed. I would consider this one of them. I'm sure maybe you shit in a wooden out house as a kid but do you still?

The 2 items I mentioned combined are not $50 total and would last you for a looooooooooooong time using it on multiple dogs even. If somebody can't afford that, (if that were the issue since cost was brought up earlier) well then they might want to consider getting rid of the dog.

13. c-murda

c-murda Big Dog

To OT; The motor oil cure worked long ago because of the sulfur the oil contained and the lubrication the petroleum provided. Todays's motor oils contain no sulfur, contain a lot of detergents and even the so-called "conventional" oils of today contain a lot of synthetic components. I admit the "used oil" was a good alternative at one time long ago. But not today. Just a lil bit of FYI. Ivermectin + Nu-Stock is effective against most demodex. If the OP can't find Nu-Stock or just wants to save a lil money, a sulfur treatment can be made from scratch from yellow sulfur, pine oil, and mineral oil. That's what Nu-Stock is basically anyway. Ivermectin will kill the mites down to a level the pups body can handle and the Nu-Stock or homemade sulfur salve does the rest. Then, as long as the pup's immune system is not severely comprimised, it will bounce back. All the way back. Most people who use ivermectin monthly seldom ever have demodectic mange issues and if they do it is a severely immune system comprimised animal.

14. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Oh don't get me started on the outhouse,lol.

I was just curious if you might have had a bad experience or something along those lines.

Lots of home remedies were pretty spooky, Coal candy and things of that nature was things we used to get when I was a child and today when folks hear that you can just see their eyes bug out and they lose a good few brain cells.

15. LOL the last thing a major bunch of society today needs is to lose anymore brain cells! ;)

I figured you would get a laugh out of the outhouse comment. :)

16. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Brought back some memories to say the least,lol.

17. cajunpits

cajunpits Pup

out house ? well you going to talk about out houses then lets not forget the out of date Sears an Roebuck catalog that was always in there an not just for reading

18. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Oh Lord you had those and then you had old catalogs from the local co-op and things of that nature, Then it was the sorriest day of your life when you got picked to go out there with the stick.

In case you didn't figure it out...Them outhouses were not my favorite part of growing up,lol.

19. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

ok thanks for clearing that up for me. i wasnt aware the case had to be severe. still just something i think should be taken into consideration before using.

you are one of the most knowledgable people on here. idk why you have to be so negative. this was cleared up by someone a few post early and they did it in a respective way. its a board for conversation. That negativity really isn't needed. Its turns a good informative post into "complete and utter bullshit". leave the info and keep that other stuff to urself

20. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

yeah Boogie, if you havent anything nice to say:D