1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

demodex mange

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by rajennn, Jan 7, 2010.

1. It wasn't a good and informative post. It was a misleading post making people think that ivermectin would kill their dog if given to them.......which IS complete and utter bullshit.

Sorry if that hurt your feelings. I also said you should clear up your statement if that isn't what you meant. Don't get butt hurt over nothing.

Sorry lol wasn't trying to be mean just pointing out that the post was flawed severely. It wasn't meant to offend the guy/girl. I am a little thicker skinned and don't realize that some folks are more sensitive than I. ;)

Dream Pits you did a fine job bringing to light the heart worm issue, just didn't make clear what you were saying. Is that better? :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2010
  2. cajunpits

cajunpits Pup

I'll go along with Boog on this one that post was just plain bullshit...well let just say it was bad info ....In these swamps in S/East of Louisiana heart worms are a matter of fact in a large portion of the dogs here. I myself have taken 2 dogs off of someones yard(1 was 5 an the other was 6yr old) that had never had thier first dose of heart worm meds ever. well Ray Charles could see they were heavely infested with heart worms I started them on Ivomec treatment an both recovered nicely to both live to 10+ years.

3. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

BoogiemanBlood
    Its all good, im not gonna get hurt by anything someone says to me especially online. No harm done, i need to make sure i make sure my post say what i mean them to say. You can watch how you word ur post as well:rolleyes:
    NEXT THREAD lol

4. yea my female had it and when i breed her a most the pupppies had spots on there fur

5. Cynthia

Cynthia Top Dog

OK the burnt motor oil is toxic to the dog. And it could possibly kill the dog. If you want to take that chance by all means do it. I have seen 3 dogs die from that. It can be absorbed through the skin as well as the dog licking itself. And I think it is very irresponsible to recommend it. The hydrocarbons can be absorbed through the skin and cause a dangerous drop in blood pressure. If motor oil is licked off the coat, resultant vomiting can lead to aspiration of motor oil into the lungs and pneumonia. Kidney and liver damage can result from motor oil dipping.

Now amitraz dips yes they work. You have to dip every 2 weeks. If you buy Tactik it is 6mls per gallon of water. Make sure you put mineral oil in the dog's eyes to protect them. Pour over the dog and if you need to treat the face make sure you use a wash cloth and sponge the face avoiding the eyes. And let them air dry.

Ivermectin is also very effective. And a newer flea prevention called Promeris is also very effective.

Remember with any medication there is and always can be side effects. That is why it is best to be under the supervision of a vet. Make sure you get at least 2 negative skin scrapings before stopping treatment.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2010
  6. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

thats because you passed it on to the puppies. :rolleyes: when a female goes thru a stressfull period such a havin a litter of pups, its likely to reappear in her, but also itll more than likely be passed to the pups. i had an old fart of a vet tell me thats why it seems to always show on a pups head...contact with the dam. i spayed my bitch, so ive never been thru it, but the old guys got alot more years on me, so i wasnt gonna question it. according to him you can breed a male thats had problems with it in the past, but NEVER a female. is this true????

7. Woody all dogs have the mites. All pups get the mites transferred to them from the mom. It's just some pups immune systems don't fight them off as they are not developed enough or in some cases they have immune deficiency problems.

8. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

exactly right. i was also told you should avoid breeding dogs that have those issues bc its likely to pass to the pups. I know a bully breeder whose foundation bitch bred pups repeatedly that had mange.

9. Then the line has a problem with depressed immune systems.

Typical in the bully world who don't give a flying rats ass what they are passing on. Not all, but a lot of them!

Any pup can get it, but if have adult dogs that have it coming back continually, you've got problems.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2010
  10. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

thanks all for the replies folks, this seems to be a subject that youll get alotta advice on, but its hard to sort thru and find the truth. i hope by dealing with respectable folks ill NEVER have to worry about this again. i think thats the key, but my woman was bound determined she wanted that dog that had the issues, as it wasnt my cup of tea anyway.

11. simpson

simpson Big Dog

Simple bag balm from the local implement dealer took care of it in short order on my buds new blue pup.

12. Dreamer

Dreamer Big Dog

This is what a lot of people don't get about this mange. It can have a genetic component in that faults in the immune system itself is what is wrong with the dog and one must use great care in breeding dogs like this.

Dreamer

13. Dreamer

Dreamer Big Dog

I would go so far as to say dogs with a generalized case should never be bred. Also, I have had pups that will get a localized case ( 2-3 dime sized spots) and I DO NOT treat these, beyond their usual good diet. I want to see if their immune systems respond. The vast majority of the time, the immune system responds and the spots disappear after a few weeks, never to return.

Dreamer

14. Dreamer

Dreamer Big Dog

Thanks for this story, and yours too, Leslie. A lot of people are not aware that mange and other skin conditions CAN become so severe that the dog needs to be put down. Bad skin stuff is a good reason not to breed a dog, no matter how good he is otherwise. Dogs suffer tremendously with these conditions.

I think we do have a problem with skin maladies in this breed and need to pay more attention to them when making breeding choices.

An aside, James Herriot, in his book "James Herriot's Dog Stories" writes of his losing battle in treating a dog with demodectic mange. It's called "Amber" and is one of my favorites.

Perhaps she would not have stayed in my memory so clearly if I had treated her in one of the steel kennels in our present day surgery and not under the primitive conditions which were available then. That old stable is never used now, but whenever I wander up to the yard, I look into the dark doorway and remember that long struggle which Amber and I both lost.

Dreamer

15. I was just wondering about the motor oil. I was taught to only use diesel oil and not gasonline, maybe because of the toxicity or something I don't know but thats what we did and it did work.

Also, along with those Sears catalogs did you guys ever use those Blue Chip Stamp ones? lol.

16. ROSE

ROSE Banned

17. Nawz

Nawz Pup

MOTOR OIL WORKS BOTTOM TIME USED IT IN THE PAST AND BOUT TO USE IT ON A FRIENDS DOG TOMOROW WITH A LITTLE ADDED GARDEN SULFUR:p:p

18. Nawz

Nawz Pup

Bottom line i meant to say ... The stuff works i usually put it all over the dog in question in about a week or two you will notice the difference in a month no mange and your dog has a beautiful coat:d:d