1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dewclaw removal

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by act284, Apr 24, 2010.

1. act284

act284 Big Dog

Just wondering how many people do this?

i know some dogmen that think it's necessary in performance dogs to prevent injuries, and others that could care less and say it will be naturally removed in action if necessary.

What are your opinions on the matter?

2. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Personally I never did it, Didn't really ever see any benefits to it.

Now I have had some that I have had to remove over the years, But to say there was advantages to it I couldn't say there was.

3. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Top Dog

i havent done it to any dog tht ive owned

4. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

bump......

5. Blau

Blau Big Dog

Isn't necessary for a dog that's hunting, usually only done for very active dogs that will be running around [IE sled dogs].

6. MinuteMan1979

MinuteMan1979 Big Dog

I always figured if anything it should give an ADVANTAGE during wrestling... I mean I think it MUST of had a purpose... I always assumed it would be exactly that, grip during wrestling...

7. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

dogs seem to use them to aid in grabbing onto things. if you've ever had your leg humped by a dog before, you know what i mean, lol.

kidding aside, i think they should be left there, although they can be annoying, they seem to have a purpose. the only time i think dewclaws should always be removed is in the case of back dew claws. those things just get in the way and serve no purpose except to get ripped off.

but i have nothing against anyone who removes them. personal preference really