1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Do you really need pedigree for breeding?

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by Tank1, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Tank1

Tank1 Big Dog

It's always alot of talk about not needing papers(pedigree) but do you think that if you are a serious breeder you need them?

2. MISSAPBT

MISSAPBT Top Dog

Yes, why breed something you have no clue about liniage wise?
    but aslong as you know the background, or that dog has done something to make a good name for itself i dont see why breeding cant take place

3. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

You don't need them, but they come in handy. I personally don't waste much time on non-papered dogs. JMO

4. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

sure "serious breeders" same as they need websites to pedal pups."why breed something you have no clue about liniage wise" because if it performs & can produce you can paper it how you like. does it work & can it produce is really the only thing that matter imo.

5. MISSAPBT

MISSAPBT Top Dog

BB quote from my first post :)

eg performed well

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2010
  6. PREACHER

PREACHER Big Dog

7. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

depends on what you consider a serious breeder. if u mean someone who breeds and sales pups then yes pretty peds are essential. If you are just tryin to breed the best dogs possible and thats ur only goal then papers dont mean anything. Best to Best

8. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

yes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

9. While I will say papers aren't needed to work a bulldog and they (bulldogs) diff don't know how they are bred but I haven't seen ANYone come on this board and not know how there or the ones they like or ones they are looking fors pedigree........soooo they mean more then most what to admit weather handwritten or reg. most want to know what blood they are working with.................jmo

10. If you don't have the recipe, you won't be able to consistently reproduce the cake. You need to know how your dogs are bred, I think this is essential.

As far as registering the dogs, I think that's just giving someone income to tell you what you already know. The only reason I can see for registering a dog is to peddle them and leave a nice paper trail.

The best pedigree there is comes from trusting and having confidence in the breeder, everything else is just advertising.

11. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

wouldnt you need pedigree to see if the ancestors of your dog carry some faults.

say your dog is out of a bitch called roxy and roxy is out of jack, and roxy developed cataract at 4/5 years old and went blind after u bred her.

Later on you found that jack the grand sire also had that too.. but he was a happy blind dog unlucky roxy who wasnt comfertable and u had to put her done after trying surgery that didnt work. and so u end up culling your dog and all his litter mates and roxy ofcourse and that line stops right there. this story is from the latest patterdale terrier book "an obsession- the nick stevens story" and i think pedigree is important for serious breeders who want a strong line

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2010
  12. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

if you're usin you own ingredients u can make ur own recipe. if something doesnt taste good you know to alter it next time. point is they are nice but not essential, ppl do fine and their dogs arent bred the way they think they are. they are followin a recipe that is incorrect.

13. Sabrina

Sabrina Big Dog

I agree with MISSAPBT on this one.

14. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

Pedigree is an important tool, but more important is to know the dogs shown on the paper. This way you can set up a breeding program based on cleaning faults and looking for the good known traits, be selective and breed the best and the time will do the rest.

Without papers, you'll need more generation to get exactly what you want.

15. gambull

gambull Pup

You need to know how your dogs are bred honestly. Papers only papers... true and false. HOnest is the essential.

16. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

im curious why u al care about whats in the pedigree. the gr ch's in the 5 gen are whats important. whats important is the parents and the dog itself. if the parents are both good dogs then chances are they will produce a good dog or 2. if you hve chinaman or whoever you like 12 times in ur ped but the parents arent any good then its a low percentage breeding imo. the more im on here the more i see why older dogmen get so irritated with the new generation...

17. kayo45

kayo45 Top Dog

Yes you need a ped, wether its reg papers from the ADBA or you are hand writing it you need to know your dogs background so you know what you are breeding for. Very strange question

18. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

Of course you need a pedigree, how else are you gonna know how many times you can get a certain dog in 4 generations?

19. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

so your ped can tell you more about your dog than your dog can? i you have the dog i think you should know exactly what you need to breed for

YB, swear i like you more everyday lmao

20. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

Paper breeding aint the right way to breed dogs nor that makes you a breeder. But yes, you need a pedigree and a brain to breed dogs.