1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Do You Vaccinate At Home?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by BringBackup, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Shameless

Shameless Big Dog

Yeah, was just a routine yearly. After that is when I started looking up stuff about it, that was almost 8 years ago and there wasn't as much about it then as there is now. Luckily people are starting to become more aware and do their own research.

2. game_test

game_test Top Dog

there is some good, thought provoking info on this link i am going to post.

http://leerburg.com/vaccinosis.htm

i usually give three 5 in 1 shots, rabies, and a booster at a year and thats it. i am going to alter my vaccines for the current litter i have to parvo/distemper at 9 and 12 weeks, rabies at 24 weeks, and nothing else.

3. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

Vaccine Schedule Mixing Directions

I searched out this thread because I intend to start doing my vax at home to cut costs. I found this chart and wanted some opinions on this. According to this chart some shots will be given 5 times which seems like alot and I would really appreciate some input from some of the more educated members. Thanks.

4. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

That might confuse you. Give the 5in1 at 6-8 weeks old. Then 3 more 5in1 or 7in1 (your preference dependent upon your region you live in etc.) every 3-4 weeks. Rabies you will need a vet to administer anywhere from 15 weeks-6 months (again personal preference). Keep the labels of the vials from the (5in1 and/or 7in1) and take them all to the vet when you go to get rabies and they will put them on file for you. If you call around to some local vets and tell them you will be doing the vaccinations but will use them for rabies and any other vet care you might need, you will know if they are okay with it or not. Some vets require that they personally administer 1 round of shots before doing the Rabies. Finding a cool vet IMO is SUPER IMPORTANT! Just make sure if you buy them from a feed store or what not and transport them to your house, make sure to bring a container with ice to keep them cold until you get home to give the shot or store them in your fridge until you are ready to use them.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010
  5. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

Are there different brands and if so which are better quality?

6. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

I forgot with the schedule above you will not be vaccinating for bordetella, or borreliosis. Bordetella is basically a bacterium involved in kennel cough. Borreliosis is Lyme disease and in my area in Texas it is not needed. If you take the labels off the vials and take to the vet when you get the Rabies and (communicate with them, dont assume they caught it)the vet will know that the pup did not get bordetella or borreliosis and will proceed with the proper knowledge of your area.

7. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010
  8. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

Thanks for the help Texan. I appreciate it.

9. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

BB, i dont really care what folks on here say. ive been doing my own shots and my friends (5 in 1) for about 5 years now.
    as long as you get the "duramune 5 in 1" from river valley feed in rio linda, cuz i know for sure they refigerate them. brink like a small ice chest or whatever.

hell, ill even do it for ya the first time and show you how if you like.
    when i learned how to do this, i saved shitloads of money from the vet, ive done 2 litters (one of them my own) and a buddy of mines and not 1 from any litter has had any issues, niether have any of my dogs had issues or a parvo case either.
    i wouldnt trust other hole in the wall feed stores, but i trust river valley all day.
    plus you cant beat $10 a shot!

rabies shots on the other hand.......your S.O.L!

10. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

oh shit, i just realized how fuckin old this thread was.

just forget everything i posted! lol

11. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

Under the skin on the left thigh right?

12. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

another good use for the breeding stand

13. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

Or under the skin on the back of the neck.

14. magdalena

magdalena Big Dog

It's into the muscle on the thigh or under the skin on the neck. I do my own vaccinations (low) at home and have been since I started reading about vaccinosis maybe 8 years ago. I only do Parvo and Distemper at 8 and 14 weeks (these are the really deadly ones, the others can be dealt with medically if your dog does catch them). Then rabies at the vet at 4 or 5 months then titers if possible after that. If I need to board I do one for Bordetella. I don't do yearly boosters either.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2010
  15. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

shoulder, str8 downwards

16. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

Friend of mine did his under the skin on the thigh not into the muscle but I've also seen it done under the skin on the back of the neck... never did get around to askin him but... is there a difference in how it's distributed in the body or is it just preference?

17. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

Never seen this one.

18. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

good way to fuck some nerves up!

19. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

ever seen that happen?

20. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

I wouldn't do it that way personally. Something doesn't feel right about that.