1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Do You Vaccinate At Home?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by BringBackup, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

not personally, although i have heard horror stories. but theres a reason for proper vaccinations methods. that being one of them. if it works for you, than great. just be aware that thats one of the risks.;)

2. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

Is there a reason you do it that way as opposed to the tried and true methods, CD?

3. simms

simms CH Dog

All injectable vaccines should be administerd subq, under the skin to the left or right scapula or hip. This way, if your animal has a reaction it is isolated to one area and can be identified and or treated.
    Intranasal is administerd in the nose.

Who wants to deal with any thing that is infectious and can kill your animals not to mention the ones that can make ppl sick too. That's how fucking epademics happen!

4. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

i........................

5. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

thats how vets do it, why dont you go to the vet? yall need to quit ur experimenting already.......theories:rofl:

6. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

:wedgie:................,..

7. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

hey do it your way lol it aint my dogs so i can care less!:rolleyes:

8. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

Thanks Simms... That's why I wanted to know if there was a specific reason why it was done mostly in the left or right hip.

9. magdalena

magdalena Big Dog

I do shoulder sub q as well because I don't want to mess with muscle but all the 5 in 1 or 7 in 1 I have seen say either sub q to shoulder or intramuscular to thigh. I've had vets do either in the past.

With Puck when I did his it was like trying to stick a needle into a cowhide though.

With sub q to shoulder it is a quick pop down but only into the skin not like straight through. :D

10. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

Ain't no vet I ever known did it like that...

11. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

I think the thigh is safest.

12. simms

simms CH Dog

What LWG is reffering to is, lacerating the siatic nerve in the thigh. Yes you can admin injectable drugs in the lumbar and in the thigh. however notice that I say injectable drugs not vaccinces.

13. simms

simms CH Dog

IM is not a good method, should your animal have a reaction, it could cause them to loose a limb or thier life. Sub q is the safest method.

14. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

in the neck, just above the shoulder blades under the skin but NOT unto the muscle!

just grab the dogs scruff of loose skin and go in there, just make sure you get through the skin. done this method for years, its so asy a 10 yr old can do it. but if your not sure let the vet do it, cuz to me its not worth messin your dog up until you learn it.

15. simms

simms CH Dog

It is still admin subq.

16. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

So doin it the way I've SEEN vets do it is the best way (either left or right hip or back of the neck under the SKIN not into the muscle) right? Just to clarify SIMMS or LWG (no offense CD but umm yeah.)

17. magdalena

magdalena Big Dog

Good to know, thanks! If I see a vet ever going for it again I'll be sure to scream.

18. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

well im not sure and im sure as shit no doctor or expert on the subject.
    however, i did read (and was told by the folks that sell it) that you need to be carefull when doing your own vaccs, just because 1 of 2 things (or more) can happen.

1.) some folks are so "hesitant" persay in fear of going to far and hitting a nerv,bone, ect. so they dont go far enough to puncture through skin and inject sending the vacc everywhere BUT theyre system lol (which seems kinda pointless to me)

or

2.) folks THINK they have the right spot and inject. hitting nerves,muscle or bone on the way. and even if they dont, but still get the wrong spot then what proves that they benefit from it?

the way i do it is under the skin in the top of the neck (just above the shoulder blades into the scruff) i make sure to puncture the skin but am carefull enough to make sure i touch nothing else. after its in and the needles out i feel for the "lump", if i dont feel it i scratch the vacc date and start over again a week or 2 later!

19. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

------------------------------------------

20. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

none thake Shata, hope you learn what youre after