1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Does size matter?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by NYSTATEOFMIND, Aug 14, 2015.

1. NYSTATEOFMIND

NYSTATEOFMIND Big Dog

Just picked up a Eli/jeep pup (female). She's 9.4 lbs at 4 months, this seems kinda small to me. Mind you the last pups I had were Bandogs, GSD and Rotties, so yeah I know this is a different class of dogs, but she still seems REALLY tiny to me. I saw a pic of Miss skull who looked really small. Just wondering if anybody on here charts their pups growth rates, and if so, what size would you guess-ta-mate her to mature at?

2. siccen

siccen Big Dog

I have a male Chinaman/Eli bred pup who was about the same weight at 3 months old. I think she will be fine. They hit growth spurts at slightly different rates.

3. ABD456

ABD456 Big Dog

I have a young 18 months old dog that weighed about 14kg about 30 pounds at 4 months and now weighs unconditioned just chain / puppy weight about 50 pounds

4. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Dynomite comes in packages of all sizes with this breed.I wouldn't worry about it , just a pup anyways.

5. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

In the bedroom, yes, don't let them lie to you. Lol as far as your pup goes 9 lbs at 4 months seems a bit small but not unheard of. It's just a infant pup, I'd worry about it when it's more like 12 to 15 months old. It'll grow.

6. Beatrix Kiddo

Beatrix Kiddo Top Dog

haha true that

7. blueboy

blueboy Big Dog

9.4lb at 4 months does seem very small to me. 3 males I kept notes of their monthly rates, at 4 months they weighed from 18.04-20.02lb's, 2 matured to 35-36lb as adults other's still a pup but his rate is similar to the others. One Old gyp I have that weigh's 31lb weighed 15.8lb at 4 months.

8. casey21

casey21 Pup

to me a male is small if he is under 42lb conditioned js

9. NYSTATEOFMIND

NYSTATEOFMIND Big Dog

Thanks guys. I feel better. She has gained 1 pound this last week. I have been feeding her 3 times a day and added raw eggs and 1/2 a teaspoon of Kelp powder.
    I wormed her again but she is worm free. The pits I had in the past were a bit larger. 2 were alligator blood which was big boned. I am planning on
    bringing her to the NJ show next May just for ha ha's . If any one is there please introduce yourselves... I will be the 200 lb man with the 18 lb black Pit Lol

10. Thunder98

Thunder98 Big Dog

IMO size doesn't matter with "Dogs". I have a 3 1/2 mouth old 20 lbs. I'm hoping when he matures he will be around 45-50. 30lbs dog =.38 caliber. 55 lbs dog= .357 both will still do damage if they had to. I like small dogs anyway. But in the end I am only concerned with the bulldawg.

11. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

When locked out, I ve always found the smaller bulldog is key, easier to get in the front door and out the back...

12. siccen

siccen Big Dog

Ha ha.
    I'm sure she will be great. Seems like you are giving her good wholsome real food as well. You can't beat that.

13. Grabo86

Grabo86 Big Dog

Two words: Pocket Pit

14. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

The main thing is to keep the puppy properly fed, properly wormed, and properly exercised. In the end it will be just fine, basically it is what it is. I have a 1o month old female that looks like 4-5 months. Way small. Her littermate brother is maybe 49-51 on the chain. A monster of a dog. It happens.

Happy and healthy is the primary goal. S

15. NYSTATEOFMIND

NYSTATEOFMIND Big Dog

She weighs 13.2 lbs now at 17 weeks. looks good. I know her dam is only 30lbs.. sire is 42. I just wasn't used to having
    such a Peanut of a dog. I will be bringing her to the NJ show this May. Hope to see some of you there.

16. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

No need to wait til May. The next NJ show is in two wks. Sept 19 & 20. You can show her in the 4-6 month female class. :)

17. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

I have one that's only 26 pounds at 13 months old, so no worries, lol

18. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Size matters for working dogs if there is no competition in their weight class. That sounds pretty small ijs hopefully it gets better though. I had a friend who had a male in the low 20's. Never got a fair peak at how much he could pull in contrast to males his size. He was a cool dog though