1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dog chow VS ol roy high performance

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Studentofthegame, Oct 6, 2013.

1. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

It varies by store sometimes(walmart specifically), I noticed that when I was pinching pennies a while back.

2. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

thats fucked up PB made by old roy but its good but reg ol roy terrible. they could just change a few ingredients in there hi pro and make it a decent feed.

3. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

im not sure if ive said this yet in another post if i have forgive me but i know a dude with two german sheperds and two boxers he said he feeds puppy chow til they get grown and then switch to ol roy in the brown bag says he been doin that for yrs. and all four look really good if he would have said some high dollar shit i would have been like you can tell cuz your dogs look great!! lol. he said he cant feed red bag cuz they lose weight.

4. Beatrix Kiddo

Beatrix Kiddo Top Dog

x2..........

5. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

You sure you're not a brown bag sales rep, OKC? lol

6. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I am really digging this new sports mix wholesome s dog feed...no wheat soy or corn..Brown rice and chicken formula is what it is..switched my dogs from diamond naturals to sports mix wholesome and none of my dogs missed a beat...no runny stool ..nothing.

7. Beatrix Kiddo

Beatrix Kiddo Top Dog

my dog eats better than I do. I've only fed Orijen since i've had her. Just switched from puppy to six fish formula. I'm going to start alternating though between their six fish and regional red formula. No grain, no chicken, love this food. Until i switch to raw, this is the only kibble i'll feed.

8. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

That is fine for sure if you only have 2 or 3 hounds.. No doubt that's good feed though.

9. Beatrix Kiddo

Beatrix Kiddo Top Dog

yea if i had more dogs i definitely could NOT afford it. I don't know how you guys manage to maintain a yard. I'd be living amongst my dogs in the yard.

10. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Gets expensive

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

11. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

@bamaman sports mix is good shit and priced for the workin man alot of hunters and farmers in OK use that shit. im always talkin to folks at the feed store when i see them buying dog food especially if there in a pickup wit dirty overalls boots and a ball cap on cuz you can damn near guaratee hes feeding some workin dogs!! even thou alot of them dont own bulldogs they still know alot about feeding performance animals. some of those heeler cattle dogs work 16hr days damn near every day. A farmer told me once you dont get know days off on a cattle farm i work everyday including holidays sun up too sun down and i thought too myself gotdamn that would be rough!!

12. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

13. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

@treezpit naw bro im not a sales men at all i dont feed old roy mainly because of the bha preservative they use they say that shit is known to cause cancer if the took that shit out i might give it a try. right now im feeding hunters select hi performance its made by nunn better its not grain free but pretty good feed and priced right. i have two kids and three dogs and im the only one workin right now my old lady got mad and quit her job so its all on me right now. most bulldog owners have never been or never will be rich or well off so we gotta save as much as possible while still providing for our hounds and puttin food on the table for our children. as long as im healthy and able no one under my roof or in my care will starve or go without i refuse to let it happen. by any and all means i will provide and i know alot of yal can feel where im comin from!!

14. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

i may be wrong, but purina balance isnt made by ol roy (atleast i dont THINK it is). i know ol roy is wal marts "company brand".

15. mlb

mlb Pup

Purina is suing Blue Buffalo about false advertising. I find that kind of interesting; something like the kettle calling the pot black. I'v been feeding two hounds (neither are bulldogs) the blue buffalo salmon with rice or potato. They like it and it seems to work with them. My sis is feeding her two dogs a similar mix but made by purina one for sensitive systems. I wanted to try the cosco brand (similar) but because of itching problems she does not want to risk the change. In the end I worry about who is making the stuff. But at the same time we have to be realistic in what we are feeding, how many and the best we can afford IF IT WORKS. My wife one time asked me how much the BB was, I just said you really don't want to known. She agreed.

16. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

I didn't read all of the thread, so maybe this fact was covered, but dogs were never meant to eat grains. Dogs are carnivores. There are other things found in the wild that they are meant to eat, maybe a yam or other tubers/things that grow in nature but not grains. Humans eat grain. Humans are omnivorous.

You have amazing animals if they do OK on foods like Old Roy's. It is like someone living on chips, Oreos, and a little beef jerky (if it isn't loaded with crap, jerky is of course good for you). I fed food with grains for many years before I knew better, and there were a lot more skin problems, allergies diarrhea etc.

I lost my business last year, lost more than $120K (and lost earnings on top of that) and have been making only $1500 a month. But I still feed decent food. I few times I fed some foods with brown rice (if you have to feed grain, brown rice is the best).

Go to dog food analysis, and read the reviews.

I am always looking for good deals on quality food. Believe it or not, Pet Smart has usually had the best prices. I always get the $5 off sale for using their membership card. The other day, they had a good food marked down pretty dramatically. I bought 2 24 lb bags for $60.

You have to look around, and you have to be resourceful.

Another thing that most don't know is that, with quality food, especially grainless, you don't need to feed nearly as much. That $30 deal for a 24 lb bag will last as long or longer than 40 lbs of Old Roy. The food I usually use, with the coupon is $45 but it lasts a month. My dogs are indoor dogs, and they are not skinny at all, they maybe could lose a pound or 2. One is about 67lbs, the other 58 lbs.

When I am at the supermarket, they often have a $2 off coupon for a 6 lb bag of a 4 star grainless food. With the coupon it comes out to $32 for 24lbs worth. I always snag those.

17. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

That is an excellent food, it is at the top of the rankings with Wellness Core. However, it never goes on sale and is out of my price range. I usually feed Blue grainless which I consistently get a $5 discount on and it is ranked just slightly below those 2.

18. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

There is no comparison, Blue is far superior to Purina. Purina has gotten into the grainless market, but read their ingredients. I feed Blue. I get $5 off w/ my Petsmart member card. If I can't afford the grainless, I will go one step down to their other choices. They still have a lot of meat and use either brown rice or oatmeal.

Always look at the ingredients. Look for whole chicken, beef or fish (my dogs prefer chicken/beef). Look out for "chicken/beef/meal. Meal is no where near as good as whole meat and companies like Purina, Old Roys and others put them in so it looks like you are getting real solid meat. You are not, so don't be fooled. The #1 things dogs,and especially this breed need is meat. You ever see a wolf in the wild hunting down a loaf of bread?

19. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

Look at the ingredients. Is the first ingredient a real whole meat like beef or chicken? No, it is meal. Bro, meal is garbage The next ingredient is ground corn arguably the absolute worst grain there is for dogs. Soybean meal, Ground wheat. This food is poison. You saw the thread were I got chewed out for roughing up my dogs a bit breaking up a fight (which I deserved). Someone said that I could had broken a leg or skull from what I did. If they were eating this crap, yes, they would have broken. And the sample I posted below is their "high protein" food.

Ingredients
    Meat Meal, Ground Yellow Corn, Soybean Meal, Ground Wheat,
    Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Salt, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Calcium Iodate, Copper Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Magnesium Oxide.

Go here: Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

Yes, the top top blends are pricey. But look at the 3-4 star foods, and then search for somewhere to find them for a good price. Think about this: I don't fight my dogs, and I know none of you fight your dogs (and if you do, it is none of my business....just give me a pup off that 3 time winner, lol). But at bottom we all know that if our dogs did get in a fight we would be mighty unhappy if they quit. How could we expect that if they are eating the equivalent of Twinkies and potato chips?

Does GSP or Jon Jones train on junk food?

20. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

What I showed is good food. Has brown rice but no wheat,corn or soy.And it's affordable .