1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dog chow VS ol roy high performance

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Studentofthegame, Oct 6, 2013.

1. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Orijen has too high protein IMO.

2. poorfarmkennels

poorfarmkennels Big Dog

does purina make a real high end grain free product? ive fed a couple bags of their one red bag, it was fine but pricey. totw is for sale on amazon for $45-30lb free shipping too.

3. illiam09

illiam09 Pup

What do you all know about the bully performance kibble?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

4. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

Brother, look at the ingredients, there is no, zero, zilch real meat in there. It is meat meal. Here are the first 4 ingredients:

Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Yellow Corn, Meat Meal, Ground Wheat,

Corn is the absolute worst grain for dogs. I am not trying to be a dick here, I want what is best for you and your dogs.

I am struggling to keep a roof over my families head, and food on the table. Trust me, I know what it is like to be on a budget.

We buy these foods to try and save money. But the reality is we are getting taken. We think we are getting a deal when paying $20 for a 30 lb bag of food, but the truth is, we paid $19 to much.

It is much betyter to spend a litle more, get a quality 24lb bag for $40. Because it is so nutrient dense, and has real meat as its first ingredient, a 24 lb bag will last much longer than the 30 lb bag.

Go here: Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

Skip the 6 stars, they will banrut you, for the most part. I look at all then 4 and 5 star kibble. 4 stars are still an excellent food. 5-6 are petty much exclusively grain free. In nthe 4 stars, you are going to get a little brown nrice or oatmeal, but the number 1 ingredient is a pure meat, real chicken or beef. When I had more money, I fed the 5 stars. I am struggling for money now, so I feed 4 stars. That is why my dogs can be thrown 6 feet through the air (yes, I was an idiot) hit the fence and not break anything. I would never knowingly fight my dogs, but if I did theoretically do so, do you think that a dog fed crap food in his keep is going to hang with a dog fed the good stuff (all other things being equal)?

I have prepped quite a few MMArtists, and diet is everything. You have to eat quality food in order to go 3 5 minute rounds.

All you need to do is a little research. I take the fancy I phone my wife got me (damn thing does everything but make calls) I go to the store to get food, I look for a sale on the good stuff, and then I got to the site I posted to read the reviews.

5. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

Not to mention, it will break your bank. I bought it in tyhe past, when nI had money. You don't have to feed too much. If I were working a dog for some type of competition, I would use something that high protein. Intense work/conditioning increases protein needs dramatically.

I prep competitive fighters and Body builders. For a sedentary 200 lb guy, you only need 120 grams of protein. For a hard training athlete you need at least twice that month.

6. treezpitz

I agree, but as a regular feed way too much protein.

7. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

Tell me about it: They have jumped on the grain free bandwagon. They charge as much as Blue for grain free. But look at the ingredients, no where near the same, Blue is way better, even their lower kibble which has some grain in it.

IMO, they are relying on their name to sell an inferior product.

8. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

that SM wholesome is grain free i thought?

9. devonte151

devonte151 Fast Lane Bulldogs

I use high performnce pretty good feed if money is low.

10. devonte151

High Performance is good i needed something more fat and protein

11. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

^^^nothin wrong wit that lil brother as you get older and your dog game progresses and you start too see where you wanna go wit your hounds you might change up but if its workin for you keep doin your thang bro!!! remember its you everyday puttin in your time effort money sweat and tears for your animals they are yours and yours alone you keep them cuz you want too and if you ever breed you breed to further your line and too make you happy fuck what a hater think or say people will say and do all kind of shit too tear you down and have you doubting yourself but stay strong always and remember a game dog dont quit no matter the odds win lose or draw you never quit. thats my jr. dogman inspiration speech for the month lol!!

12. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

it makes me feel good to see the lil dudes lovin and caring for there dogs ive had an infatuation with canines since i was 6 or7 and could never shake it and still cant these dogs get in your blood son so be careful there addictive as a MF!!

13. JLusk

JLusk Big Dog

I think I'd rather see chicken meal as the number 1 ingredient instead of whole chicken because whole chicken as the first ingredient don't mean much because of all the water weight. Chicken meal is made from meat it's chicken by products that you don't want to see as the first ingredient

14. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Inoculations for pups, supplementation for pups, supplementation for pregnant bitches, flea and tick preventative, heart worm preventative, regular worming, aftercare and other treatments for any trauma, foot care, housing, cleanliness of area, equipment maintenance, clean water, shade for Summer months, warmth and bedding for Winter months, keeping disease treatment meds on hand and current, debris elimination, storm watches for any damages, theft prevention measures, cutting weeds, grass and trimming dangerous tree branches, snake prevention, and several other measures of excellent dog care make up TOTAL dog care. Where does that leave feed as a percentage of TOTAL care? I'd say roughly about twenty percent. That isn't to one bit discount the importance of proper feed/diet. It's more to make one realize that even with proper feeding, there is a lot more to care and health of your dogs than feed ONLY.

Many feel if they feed some exotic diet that they have conquered all maladies and problems and this just isn't the case. To focus ONLY on feed is a huge mistake and discrepancy in proper care.

The point Red Goodbye makes as to the number of dogs having something to do with what you feed is quite valid, also. No one is suggesting you feed pure crap and expect ANY number of dogs to thrive on it. But if you are feeding up to or below the limit in the number of dogs you can maintain PROPERLY, including good, solid, balanced feed, then a smart person knows how to balance it all out for good care in an all around sense.

15. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Right its a balancing act

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

16. devonte151

But also do feed raw i think that the best feed out here.

17. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

TDK great post ! and this is the truth.A lot of people need to read this .

18. treezpitz

Very true, TDK, good post!

19. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

It does not matter what I say, what we are talking about here are empirical facts. If I said the world was round, would you insist that since I said it was round it must be flat?

If I said that water was wet, would you conclude that it must be dry since I said it was wet? If I said that a buckskin dog was buckskin color, then it must be blue?

Hopefully you can understand that regardless of the messenger, it is the content of the message that matters. This is not rocket science.

Corn is the worst grain possible for a dog, it usually leads to all sorts of skin problems. If your dogs are not having problems then they are the exception, not the rule.

Dogs need meat, plain an simple. They were never intended to eat grains (although brown rice and oatmeal are usually well tolerated). Have you ever seen a pack of wolves hunt down a bagel?

The first ingredient in food should be meat. Plain and simple, again, not rocket science. The first ingredient in the feed you posted was chicken meal. Meal is made of renderings and other garbage left over from processing a chicken.

Bro, show your dogs some love. I just found an awesome food on sale right now, I will post it up in a moment.

20. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

You make some good points, but feed is way more than 20%. I prep competitive mixed martial strategist and bodybuilders for competition. I also do regular personal training for average people who just want to look better naked.

We have a saying, "you can't train your way around a bad diet". Take the variables you list, add steroids to the list, and diet is still at least 50%.

Prepping a combat athlete is very similar to a keep for a dog. For example, keeps I know from guys in the fast lane push a dog as hard as possible, then at 7 days out cut the training in half. Dog did and hour 45 minutes on Thursday, cut that workload down do 1 hour on Saturday, half an hour Tuesday. I leaned this ^ protocol from a dog man, and I apply it to my athletes. Both dogs and humans must eat quality food if they are to function at 100%.