1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dog chow VS ol roy high performance

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Studentofthegame, Oct 6, 2013.

1. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I have fed some of the best out there Evo, Taste of the Wild, Innova, Wilderness, to name a few eventually switching completely over to raw. Puppies I feed them kibble until they are at 8 weeks of age then I gradually switch them over to raw as well. I understand feeding more than one dog can become expensive so eventually you have to feed what you can afford. I am by no means suggesting you should feed a crap feed but rather a balanced diet that works for your dog and your budget. There are plenty of grain free feeds out there, that are not as costly as EVO which when I was feeding 4 dogs was pretty darn expensive. The point is do your research I personally always looked for a MEAT as being the first ingredient in any feed I choose I have had some dogs that could tolerate grain but most didn't so grain free was always my first choice.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
  2. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

True. They most assuredly love their dogs, they are just ignorant as to their needs. My mom loved me, and we ate at McDonald's 3 times a week. She just did not know better.

It does not have to be 100% grain free. I often, due to budget constraints, feed something with brown rice and or oatmeal. As long as a whole meat

3. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

can u comprehend what u read ? As I stated the feed I use doesn't have corn it,,has brown rice ! I been feeding dogs long enough I do know basic maintenance ! do u think your telling anyone here something they don't know ?

4. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

Yes, if we were discussing dog containment he would have a strong point.

However the topic is food, not containment. Saying that since I am wrong in regards to one thing means I must therefore be wrong about every other thing is a reverse ergo hoc propter hoc logical fallacy. Let us please stay on topic. You closed the thread on containment, yet allow the thread/topic to migrate over here. If you wanted to continue that discussion, you should not have locked the thread. Having said that, the thread in fact ran its course. I admitted that I was wrong, and now do not allow my dogs to be together in the back yard.

I essentially agreed with you 100%. I will also add that you write well and seem to be a smart person. Lets capitalize on the fact by sticking to the OT.

OK, so here is something very important: Right now, Pet Smart has "Simply Nourish Grain Free" for $41. You just need their "pet perks" card. Getting one is easy, just fill out the form. It takes 2 minutes. The first ingredient is whole chicken. The next is chicken meal, but that is OK since the first ingredient is chicken.

This feed is 98% as good as the Blue grainless that runs $55 for a 22 lb bag. And remember, you feed much less of this than you would Old Roy.

I bought 1 bag yesterday, and if my new client pays me today, I am getting another.

5. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Some basic principles apply to both humans and dogs, but you seem to meld them together as if they are the same. NOT true. An mma fighter and a dog have different needs and regimens in their daily lives. And as Bama says, you're not really informing most here. Most already know and maintain these basics. I'd be more inclined to tend to my housing and safety measures if I were you and have enough gumption to not let things happen, then brutalize your poor dogs. Seems you've bought dogs because of their known heritage, then punish them like a wild man for doing what they do. Buck up and be a good boyscout and be prepared instead of going ham on your dogs because of your own mistakes.

6. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

I have no idea what you are trying to say. "[C]an u comprehend what u read?" Do you mean, can I comprehend what you wrote, or what I wrote? I read many many things. 99% of the time I comprehend. Unfortunately, you are the 1% I cannot understand. But that is OK, just please clarify. When I post I will read it twice before posting. Remember, you have an idea. You write it down, it is now once removed. I read it, it is now twice removed. Gotta proofread. I am not a great writer be any means, I just do the gruntwork.

So, no, I cannot comprehend what you wrote. I posted the ingredients from the feed you suggested and it had corn. Can you please post the ingredients of the one with brown rice?

Also, claiming that you have "been feeding dogs long enough" is irrelevant. To illustrate, I have owned these dogs for 20 years. Does that mean that it was OK for me to punch my dog? No, I was wrong. I have changed my behavior. I remain teachable. You helped me learn, and in turn I now want to help you. Go get that feed I posted above. It is kick ass and cheap.

7. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Well jujitsu you missed the whole point. The food bamaman was talking about didn't have corn in it, reread it your talking about a different fedd

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

8. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Good and sensible post, Sadie. I mentioned similar in my prior post. Number of dogs matters as long as one is feeding as many or fewer than one should for the sake of good care. Cr. Red Goodbye for that point.

OK. So you've learned from your mistakes. That's a good thing to profess. I hope you mean it. And I support your being fair in your admitting you needed to and aspire to do so. Remember you are posting to a wide variety of people, with a wide variety of methods, and who have a wide variety in number of dogs for which they care. Good luck.

9. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

Get the $41 feed I posted. A yard with 20 dogs is a massive undertaking. I would need to win the lottery.

Also, these dogs require more attention than any other breed I have ever had. It seems to defy logic that dogs bred for combat need more cuddling/petting but they do. Mine need about a full hour a day. My male is poking his head into me right now. Sticks his snout under my hand, and throws it up until I pet him.

I am heavily into home movies, and my female will not stop trying to get onto my lap. Seriously she will keep trying constantly during a 2 hour movie. Leg comes up onto me, I push her away, then the leg comes up again. She tries on the left, she tries on the right. I have to do one of 2 things: I recline my chair and let her lay on my belly. Or. I put a sheet on the chair next to me and let her lie there.

These dogs have 2 speeds, snuggle, and war.

10. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

Yes, having a hook up with a manufacturer would probably be the best way. I have only 2 dogs, and I cannot afford $55. However, I am able to get a deal pretty consistently. When one sale is over, I am almost always able to find another. A month ago they had a crazy deal, can't remember the food, but it was marked down $20. I bought 2 bags. It had some brown rice but the #1 ingredient was whole chicken. I should have bought more.

OK, so i think it is time for all of us to hold cyber hands, and sing........Kumbaya my lord, Kumaya....:)

11. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Dr. Jijitisu just wanted to point out I have a pet smart card and sometimes they run great deals on dog feed but with the pet perks card those discounted prices usually don't last but a few weeks. So for someone who wants to stick with the same feed they may be paying 41 dollars for a bag of dog food for 2-3 weeks but then after the sale or promo is over the price jumps back to 55. I have a few friends that have larger yards and are able to buy dog food in bulk either from the manufacture or their local tractor supply and receive heavy discounts. Again for a few dogs 55 dollars for a few bags a month may not be a lot. But when you have a large yard it's time to start looking for other alternatives at 55 dollars for one bag 26-28lbs of dog food @ 2 cups per dog a day would go in one feeding if your feeding that many dogs. Just an example some might feed more or less if they are working dogs, or have pups on the ground, sick dogs, or they have dogs with higher metabolisms again this is where how much and what you feed is going to vary greatly.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
  12. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

That was displaced aggression and you can outgrow and conquer that. I hope you do, and I sincerely wish you the best of luck. I hope you were mostly angry at yourself and not your dogs for doing what they were bred to do. These dogs do require a certain poise and maintained demeanor from US. I am sure you've learned this and as I said, I wish you the best of luck.

13. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Lol Petsmart we don't even have one.Shit we just got a Tractor Supply bout 3 yrs ago lol.

14. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Kakes was mentioning Feeding being 20% of the pie (no pun intended) in a maintenance sense. Year-round maintenance and a dog in keep are two very different beasts. Food is then more important as keeps are very hard and stressful on an animal and not recommended to be done more than necessary.

15. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Good point naus...its why I called it basic maintenance.

16. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Point is correct, Nausie. I was referring to year-round maintenance. A keep is a totally different world of things.

17. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

petsmart is nowhere close to being on TSC level. Fuck petco and petsmart its Tractor Supply all MF day over here!!! what you boys know about atwoods thou?

18. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

all three of em suck compared to the local feed store....

19. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I wouldn't say any of them suck since all 3 sell top grade commercial dog foods. Price and selection are the only real difference. The feed store here only sells maybe 12 different brands ( All good feeds though ). The only 2 feeds that our feed stores sell here that they don't sell at TSC is R. Beckers Dog Lovers Gold and Orijen. Petsmart, Petco and TSC have way more of a selection of feeds ( at least here anyways ).

I save $4.00 per bag of TOTW by buying it at TSC instead of the Feed store.

As far as the original topic goes, I wouldn't feed either. Both are junk..... :lol:

20. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Lol the feed stores here suck ! They carry no top brands at all !