1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dog chow VS ol roy high performance

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Studentofthegame, Oct 6, 2013.

1. afb263

afb263 Big Dog

Tractor spply has some feed that the name slips my mind. its like t4health or something, but its quality feed.Ive tried ol roy, natural balance, taste of the wild, diamond and many others.

2. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

I don't know one serious doger who feeds chain dogs that are out of keep high priced shit like taste of the wild blue buffalo etc...if you're feeding more than a few....its simply not practical.....period....internet dogers and pet owners like to lamblast folx who are actual respectable dog men with there you're hounds will fall over dead if u don't feed bank busting top ennd kibble.....bullshit!

3. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

If a man is feeding cleaning up after and spending time with his hounds ...that's called good animal husbandry....its not as common as folxs make it seem......Ill pat anyone in any breed on the back for showing good animal husbandry.......just because you spend an ungodly amount on you're pampered pets don't make u no better in any way than the guy who takes good care of his hounds and feeds an economy kibble. Get the fuck off you're high horses

4. St. Ides

St. Ides Big Dog

Diamond naturals is a good feed. If I only had a couple dogs, I'd splurge on it.

5. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

We just got a TS here 2 yrs ago..Trust me the people in this area dont spend massive amounts on thier dogs feed.I feed your basic Diamond which is 33 bucks for 40 lbs.Ok the problem i had with the brown bag Ole Roy is protein is to high for just chain dogs not being used at the time.Summer here means 100 degree days plus 90 percent humidity and the dogs are not as active on the chain.Now winter you could prob get away with this.But 33 bucks for 40 lbs is affordable for me and my dogs look and feel better.So ill take it .

6. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Sure don't know who you directed that at red but I know I sure didn't say anything you said. I know from my own experience, I got dif results from dif kibble. MOST of the time, it was the more expensive of the compared that gave me better results. I do know that when I went grain free....I saw the best results. I did get better results from totw then i did blue's wilderness (more expensive) and bout 10 years back I got better results from diamond then i did science diet "natures best" (more expensive) Like I said before....

Heck, if it works for you, I'd feed it too. What may work for you, won't work for all obviously. But you're looking at your dogs, not me. So, you know what is getting the results you want. .....

dif strokes for dif folks i guess

7. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

st ides i got more than a couple man.But I dont have 50 to a 100 either.lol.I grew up in the deep south man we didnt have the big name stores around here where I live..As I said we just got a Tracot Supply 2 yrs ago..My options bfore this were Walmart and 3 local feed stores.But I quit Ole Roy bfore TS got here.I was using a feed from a local store called FRM Gold Select.

8. St. Ides

St. Ides Big Dog

I'm sure it was directed at people in general. Go anywhere on the web and you'll get lambasted by people that see any grain anywhere in the ingredients. A lot of the time it's people with one dog that holds down the couch. Lol...

@bama- I don't like high protein feed in general, but half my dogs right now are under 1yr so I feed it. I use maintenance when they hit about 1.5. Our weather is pretty mild, too. I prefer moderate protein high fat for working. It seems they get burned out on high protein.

9. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

My post was directed at anyone reading this thread or commenting on it that likes to think themselfs supperior dog men because thay feed a small handfulla pets a high priced kibble..I don't know if you do or don't fit into thisategory ?? If a fella can afford to feed high priced feed .....go for it ...good for you and you're hounds.....just don't look down you're nose at others who can't or don't choose to do the same.

10. treezpitz

Nope, don't fit in it. Just wanted to be sure someone didn't take what I said the wrong way. To each his own... Not all ppl/dogs are the same.

11. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

Costco's Kirklands Chicken & Rice is the best I've used for a lower priced kibble...No byproducts, corn or fillers. $25 for a 40lb bag.

12. RedGoodbye

RedGoodbye CH Dog

Damn..that's good feed for the price...wish we had a Costco in my area

13. treezpitz

Got a buddy who swears by kirkland...costco is just too far for me to drive

14. St. Ides

St. Ides Big Dog

We just got our first costco around here. It's about .5 miles away. Always heard great things about their feed.

15. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

we dont have one either.Sounds good though.

16. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

Kirkland is what I use now.

17. TennesseeGame

TennesseeGame Big Dog

I know for a fact that Garner feeds the salmon and sweet potato kibble from Costco and supplements with 2 raw chicken quarters a week. He says it's good feed.

18. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

What brand is it TennGame? you know he giving the RF1 too!

19. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

20. Furious_Ford

Furious_Ford Big Dog

Not saying that there's anything wrong with what your feeding...but I used to feed Kirklands Signature Chicken, & Rice years ago for a while, but I stopped due to my dogs having inconsistat stools, 1 bag they would shit good, & the next bag would be green cow patty runs, after this happened a few times over several bags I then decided to stop feeding, & never used it again!

Like I said not being negative about your suggestion, I'm just telling my experience...I have a friend who currently feeds it, but he also feeds raw with it, & its working for him!