1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dog eating raw fish?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Tony Starks, Jun 2, 2011.

1. i was fishing today and caught a nice smallmouth bass, and when i pulled the bastard out of the water my dog decided it looked like food and bit its tail off and started snackin, so i said fuck it and gave him the rest. does anyone think that was a bad idea or u think hel be fine? - side note- I feed him raw so hes used to eating that kind of stuff i guess but all his food comes from stores not wild stuff

2. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

some fish you have to freeze for a few weeks first.

not sure if needed for bass

3. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

This is a topic I would like to know more on. I feed a raw diet. I have fed some talopia(sp) fillet before, cleaned fish. I have heard stories about dogs getting sick from eating turtle skin, or some part of a turtle. Reasearch has tought me that dogs digestive system are different than humans, and can pass some bacterias through with no problem. are there two strains of salmonella(sp)-- one in raw foods, and one that resides on reptiles?
    I would be carefull around it if it is not cleaned, until someone can shed more light on the subject, that may know for sure. Or - guess what- a rain day from work may be spent looking into it!

McCoy

4. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

It's not really about whether the fish is cleaned, but frozen. There are lots of kinds of fish that must be frozen for a few days before feeding due to parasites. Feeding whole fish is fine. I dunno if bass is okay unfrozen.

5. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

Fish I fed were store bought, and frozen,, but I am looking into new food sources constantly, and they do good on fish oil, so - I may go whack the crap out of some blue gills and crappie and freeze em and have another source, that is cheap!!
    17.50 for a damn state fishin lisence this year. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. Bout to go out law on them state boys!
    Got me too Cliff Dog -

6. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

I paid $23 for my license... prices are getting unreasonable for everything!

7. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

I'm tellin ya. Wish I could own a gun by law, so I could get a hunting liscense.
    I need to holler at my freind and see if he knows the laws, because I may be able to now, and that would be awesome, cause feed bill-goind down, down, down. I am complaining about feeding 4, when some have way more.
    3 lil boys cost a ton too, sure yall know bout that! Hear girls cost more....?
    I never plan on having a huge breeding program. Shit may not even breed a litter this year, not sure yet. Got to pay the bills and I do that by swinging a hammer.

8. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

o yeah ----state boys - I was kidding. My liscense just expired and I and getting a new one before I hit any state lakes.... just sayin! :)

9. ROCCITY

ROCCITY Big Dog

The dog will be fine. Just make sure you keep up with your worming schedule.

10. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

The fish you should worry about is salmon. It contains a parasite that can kill a dog or make it very sick. Freeze raw salmon, steel head trout, and other salmonids for at least 24 hours before feeding to your dog; this thoroughly kills the parasite. It's also a good idea to cut open the fish and make sure there aren't any hooks in the mouth or gut of the fish before feeding your dog. ;)

11. smart idea about freezing and gutting it first. he ended up puking out some of the fish later i guess it wasnt sitting right in his stomach. it might have something to do with him drinking about a gallon of water that day. iv had him for a year and the whole time hes been deathly afraid of any water thats not in his bowl but it was too hot that day and decided to swim, but the whole time it looked like he was fighting the water drinking bite fulls every couple feet. hes a strange dog lol

12. and i never have had a licence to fish before, but then again i go fishing about once a week for awhile now and never seen any type of game warden or cops come to the spot so i cant justify the 20 bones and the gas to walmart to go get one

13. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i wouldnt mind giving up the bluegills, but if i catch a mess of crappie, my dogs aint gonna see one filet. them things are to tasty for that. lol

14. visiongee

visiongee Banned

I set my best trout to thaw and went to work when I got back It was all gone. I started freaking out so I called the vet
    he said it was fine she might get a lil diarrhea but should be fine. I do know some dog food has samon meal and white fish meal.
    So I imagine it shouldn't be toxic. But I am no vet hope all is well

15. One thing about bass and other panfish, Mostly in the warmer month's is there loaded with parasite's and some time leach's in there mouth. They need to be COOKED to kill the parasite's.

16. he seems fine. im not sure about parasites though how do you guys usually de worm? i only did it once when i first found my dog he was stray and i took him to the vet with a stool sample and he had roundworms and they gave me some liquid meds to give him, but if i recall it was around 50 bux. is there any cheaper way to do it?

17. and iv never caught crappie unfortunatly the stream i go too is all smallmouth bass, rainbow trout and bluegill from what iv seen. throw those trout on the smoker with some salt and pepper for 2 or three hours and thats one tasty meal.

18. p1tbull

p1tbull Big Dog

I have never feed my dog fish before and I'm wondering if the dog is okay eating the bones?

19. Roche

Roche Big Dog

Certain fish are bad for you're dog and may kill him

20. jangspitz

jangspitz Pup

i paid 10dollars for fishing licence.