1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dog keeps picking at his scab

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by TwistedMettle, Nov 10, 2009.

1. TwistedMettle

TwistedMettle Big Dog

One of my dogs keeps picking at his scab. He got a little scrape the size of a dime last week on his knee chasing a squirrel through my rose bushes. The scrape eventually clotted and pretty much began to heal. However the last couple of days hes been licking and nipping at it tryign to peel the scab and has created a fresh wound again. It's gettiing annoying as i have to keep cleaning his wound every time.

Do you guys know any methods to make him stop, besides putting that cone on his head?

2. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

Put the cone on his head or muzzle him. The muzzle may sound cruel but if you have to protect him from his self then so be it. I perfer the cone.

3. mr.futuristic

mr.futuristic Big Dog

you just need too learn the proper aftercare for a dogs wounds that cause them to heel faster from the inside out the scab is forming over dead tissue and that can cause them to pick at it yeah it will itch when its heeling but in order to keep infections down you need to learn what to treat it with.

4. TwistedMettle

TwistedMettle Big Dog

How fast should a scrape heal? He did not touch the wound for 4 days and I believe it was healed. It was just the last day or to i saw him picking it.

I just hope hes not picking it just to pick it, I think he loves the tatse of dead skin and blood...:( (He has a mild case of OSD)

5. mr.futuristic

mr.futuristic Big Dog

if its just a scrape it should be healed up pretty fast i wouldnt worrie about it what i stated is mainly for a gash or serious cutts if it stays open and does not heal for a week i would then start to treat it with a povidone iodine solution which will kill bacteria than cause it to heal fast with no infection

6. p1tbull

p1tbull Big Dog

I always thought a dog licking its wound is the best healing method ever. The dog do have the cleanest mouth.

7. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

You are absolutely right! As long as the wound didnt come from another animals teeth, then he will heal it by licking the wound. When the dog is licking the wound, he's actually removing the dead tissue and cleaning the wound. Just let the dog keep doing what he's doing, he'll be fine.

8. chessfighter

chessfighter Big Dog

My dog had the same problem. I just got an e-collar and it cleared up in no time. They can get OCD with it if they scratch and lick for to long.

9. TwistedMettle

TwistedMettle Big Dog

He eventually stopped and the scab gone. Had to make sure he wasnt bored and I was watching closely with a spray bottle to his face for a few days.

I just didnt want to put an e-collar on him, he's got a mild case of OCD so I could just imagine him trying to get at that crazy monster of a thing around his neck.

Chessfighter, did your dog go nuts when you put the e-collar on?

10. i was always told that dogs saliva was a natural antiseptic and the best thing to do is let them take care of it on there own. unless its a big wound them other actions can be taken