1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dog with bowed legs??

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Taz18, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. findrodhere

findrodhere Top Dog

Taz, don't open your new bag of food just yet. IMO, Iams is no good.

2. ChAnimal

ChAnimal Big Dog

So u sayin Mr. Boudreaux is a bad breeder as my mate got 2 littermates that have bowed front legs..... :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2006
  3. Taz18

Taz18 Pup

Aww.man u guys are killing me i already opened the bag...there was a lady and her husband there at pets smart and she had a pitbull also and they were the same age 11wks old and i had asked her, you know what type of food do you feed your pup and she said IAMS and also i asked the people who work there and they said IAMS is good..And not to tell you im not trying to waste a perfectly good bag of food..there not that cheap..lol

4. Hello there Taz, in order for you to get an idea of what you should aim for in terms of APBT appearance, I have posted a picture of a conformation champion. Any bigger or shorter/stockier stay away from it.

Attached Files:

5. Don't throw the bag out. Unfortunately, Iams is not as good as advertised but definitely not the worst. What you will need to do to supplement this feed is to include vitamins and other supplements into your dog's diet. Why? b/c Iams contains many "fillers" that do not add to your dog's health and lack high % of what is best. I would suggest getting: Omega complex, Multi-vitamin, and glucosamine/chondroitin. Where do you get these? GNC for example. Unless Mia says otherwise, these will do just as fine as those "specially" made for canines. Obviously, they will last you a very long time due to the fact you will be given a portion of the normal dosage (due to dog's size/age).

Once Iams is finished, look for a better feed. Stay on this site, research the many threads relating to feeds and make a wiser decision in a few months.

Good luck!

6. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

sounds like a little bulldog somewhere down the line..

7. NOVICE

NOVICE Big Dog

Iams isn't that bad but I wouldn't call it good either. A word of advice; never ask anybody at petsmart about dog food, they don't know there a$$ from a whole in the ground about dogs in general. If you don't want to waste that bag you can feed a mixture. I'd say 1 part Iams 2 parts a better feed. If I were you I would find a professional grade feed store and get a bag of Canidae all life stages formula and supplement that with Nupro (the one with glucosemine, silver label) it comes in the form of a brown powder. Mix it with some goats milk to make a gravy. Also you can give him a soft boiled agg two or three times a week. Put it in the food processer shell and all and add a little flax seed oil to help him digest it. At first he'll just pass the shell but after a little while he will absorb it and it's one of the best sources of calcium. Remember not to over feed. If he gets too heavy too fast that will just add stress to the problem area.

Here's a link to the Nupro site:
    http://www.nuprosupplements.com/

Here's a link to the Canidae site:
    http://www.canidae.com/

If he stands well and moves well I wouldn't worry too much but always check with a good vet first. Good luck!

8. NOVICE

NOVICE Big Dog

You may be wondering what the hell an agg is. If you can't find any aggs you can substitute eggs they work pretty good too. LOL

9. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

I'm with Mia, the best you can do at this point is try a very good puppy diet. I wouldn't mess around with joint suppliments at all right now because you can cause harm to a young dog giving things like that. Diet is so important, just focus on that and exercise. Good luck with all that.

Again, seriously, do not mess around with joint suppliments at this age, it is proven to cause many problems, such as calcium build-up and even more deformed joints. Go ahead and ask a vet.

My absolute favorite pet diets come from Drs. Foster and Smith, they have a web site and a cataloge.

I think Iams sucks.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2006
  10. NOVICE

NOVICE Big Dog

Riptora, if you are refering to Nupro as being a joint supplement, it's not, it's an overall vitamin supplement. One formula does have glucosamine in but that is a supplement for connective tissue, not calcium, so it can't cause calcium deposits and Mia suggested a glucosamine supplement on page 1 of this thread.

11. Doggystyle

Doggystyle Big Dog

Mix it with some goats milk to make a gravy

How long should the goats milk be used? I feed Eukanuba mixed with goats milk and it is making a great difference.

12. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

I didn't read all the posts, I don't know, I know it is highly discouraged to give glucosamine to puppies and that it is connected to over-growth in joints. It is also unhealthy to give too much suppliments (same with human kids) so I would just assume get a real good diet and maybe throw in an egg or some healthy scraps here and there instead of over-doing it.

13. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Theres a diffrence between having bowed legs pop up and breeding two dogs with bad bowed legs and selling all the deformed puppies to unknowing buyers.

14. Good point, but while a little different, I've witnessed two underbites bred to eachother and not one underbite was produced. Fluke? Maybe. But that's something that most knowledgable breeders won't risk...at least not those breeding for show purposes. I personally dont consider the "perfect bite" to be all that important to a 'bulldog.

check this out...alot of you will be awe-struck with disappointment:

http://dogwebz.com/pitbull/index.php?m=top&s=out&ID=1125858757.4877

15. NOVICE

NOVICE Big Dog

Yeah, those dogs are just completely wrong.

16. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

IP....Bowed elbows are a bit diffrent from under/over bites. Unless severly over/under bit, the trait just makes the dog a bit uglier...with no real side effects LOL. Whereas bowed elbows lead to a bundle of health problems down the road. I too used to feel the same way about under/over bites until Rockstar discussed it with me a bit, and shared some of his info and discussions ;)

17. :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

18. That's right!

19. Taz18

Taz18 Pup

hmm...So i dont want to over do anything right know..at this point hes only 11wks old..so can i just throw an egg in the food or by its self in the bowl?Cooked/boiled/ect..how?B/c like i said before i dont really know alot alot about dogs..ive owned dogs before but never a pit..iver been reading about them a couple of months know, but i dont know every little bit of info on them..So in better words can someone "please" explain what can i do to him to try to correct his hands/try to make them stronger..and also try to make him healthier??I would really appreciate it thanks alot everyone

20. Taz18

Taz18 Pup

Right know i walk him alittle everyday..I play with him in the yard a couple of games..Is there anything i can do more that can help him out..??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.