1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dog with bowed legs??

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Taz18, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOVICE

NOVICE Big Dog

1.) You need to take him to a vet and see if he has a problem or if it's just a wide stance. Pups usually have a wide stance compared to grown dogs.

2.) You need to improve his diet to make sure he's getting the nutrients he needs to gow properly. People on this thread have given you a number of suggestions. What ever you do about his diet (whether or not you decide to use supplements) I think everybody here can agree that you need to swich to a higher quality kibble.

I think that pretty much sums up what everybody has already posted.

2. Taz18

Taz18 Pup

Hey guys well i figured out my dog didnt like IAMS food..unfortunly i went back to puppy chow for know im trying to figure out where there is a all dog food store at, so that someone who really knows about dog food can help me with some dog food that is good..

3. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

Good job, we are all happy to hear that! I'm sure your pup will appreciate it too.

4. Cnote

Cnote Banned

yellow pages under feed store...in my area it was listed under feed and seed store

5. Taz18

Taz18 Pup

So do you guys think that with me going and buying better food, do u think that can be possible that his hands get more strong that they will get more nurtions and stongen up?

6. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

It is the best move you can make. It could be genetic, or conditional, but the best thing for your pup right now is a good, solid diet to support growth. Science Diet also makes a good puppy growth formula.

7. Taz18

Taz18 Pup

Hey guys/girls what would u say a good excersise for my pup is he just turned 3months old today..I try to walk him everyday but its really cold i live in chicago..lol..also when its nice i go out in the yard with him and just play around with him..but like what can i do with him indoors??any suggestions??

8. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

well, there's the treadmill if you have room for that indoors. Now is a good time to get him started on it so that you can use it throughout his life. Sounds like you are going to raise a good dog.

9. Taz18

Taz18 Pup

how would i be able to post a pic of him on the computer??say i can get it from the phone to the computer then can I copy and paste??copy paste to what from what go where??

10. What you are describing here is exactly what my puppy was doing only a week or so ago. The vet told me it was a nutritional deficiency and to feed her adult dog food. So I picked up some Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium dog food. Took just a three to four days and now she is perfectly normal and thriving. I would highly recommend some good food.

11. cdpits

cdpits Pup

Sometimes with pups its too high of protein in their food, the bones are growing faster than the soft tissue (muscles, ligaments etc.) and the first visible sign is the legs bowing out. A good quality food as has been suggested is nessesary and also go for a lower protein. Sounds like the stuff you had was too rich for your pup JMO.

12. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

I seriously doubt puppy chow was too high in quality protien. Switch to a better food. IAMS is better than puppy chow but still not great. Put a lightly cooked egg in with the food to make it taste better to the pup.

AND GET THE PUP TO A VET.

Regarding food. Corn is bad. Grain is not good. The first several ingredents should be meat or meat meal. IMO the best is called Timberwolf but its hard to find. VanPattens is good. You can find other good foods at feed stores. Pets stores don't have the best. You can add a touch of cottage cheese or plain yogurt (no sugar added) to make the food taste better and add nutrition.

Good luck with your new puppy. And go to the Vet.

13. Taz18

Taz18 Pup

Hey guys well my dog is 3.3months old now and im happy to say his legs straightened out fine..I just thought I would let u guys know if anyone cares..But his legs are fine..So now im perfectly happy with my dog and the way he turned out..Thanks everyone, everyone that helped me out..Thanks.

14. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Glad to hear that. We always like positive updates. :)

15. I just got two Pitbull pups myself. I noticed the one has a leg that is bowing at the wrist joint, (yesterday it started) she wasnt injured at all. I believe its due to malnutrition from previous owners. she was starving when I got her, in filthy conditions. I am switching her food to Canidae, and giving her a vitamin supplement. Hopefully this helps . Obviously i will get her into the vet too. The other pup is fine so far.

16. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

Are you shitting me???
    If those dogs were any straighter then they would look like a Staff!
    Koko was low set and when she got older she had the look of Red Devil, from Corvino's Shorty to the Fly of Panama.
    Left shoulder would drop.
    Ch. Iron Bear AND Muhammad Ali?
    First off Bear was as straight as they can get and Mo, damn! dogs don't come looking any finer!

17. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

Sweet Cheezus! This thread is SIX years old. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.