1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dogger w/ a hip replacement?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by purplepig, Nov 13, 2007.

1. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Hello,
    Any of you ever had a hip replacement? I am fixing to have one put in and the doc says the dogs have got to go! I am trippin!
    Any of you, or any one you know, have a total hip replacement and a yard of dogs? Issues?

2. NC

NC CH Dog

If you've got the help I don't see why it would be a problem... I mean you're gonna be sore and off your feet for a while I'd imagine.. just make sure you got some help around the yard.

3. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

Bullshit. Excuse my French.

My wittle bitty mother had a hip replacement and was walking after me at a horse show leading an American Saddlebred Horse (High octane nut) less than six weeks after her surgery. She waltzed off her stepstool a year later while decorating the Christmas tree and broke her pelvis...she was toting decorations upstairs by New Years (albeit slowly and helped at my husband's insistance).

So unless you think a 71 year old 5' 3" British woman has ya beat, I'd tell your doctor to pound sand. Don't overdo anything, but don't quit before you even try doggone it! ;)

4. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

I appriciate your comment. I have no idea of what to expect of this, and you have helped a bit. When she broke her pelvis, did her hip get messed up? They were telling me that a dog could bump my leg and cause it to dislocate.

5. simms

simms CH Dog

Good to see ya! Sorry to read you are havin a time,chin up! If you have the support the dog's should not be an issue.

6. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

That's the problem, no help. I mean, short term yes, long term, no.

7. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

No, luckily her hip was fine. She's always been a very active woman and kept her weight down...so she heals really fast. Problems set in once people resign themselves to being sedentary- I'd keep your dogs as long as the good Lord let's you. ;)

8. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

Wow Purple haven't seen you in a while. I sure that you know that the good Lord will take care of you and your dogs....[​IMG]

Good to hear from you again my friend....

9. I don't know much about hip replacement and mobility, but I wish you the best and its good to see you around.

10. hrdeluxe

hrdeluxe Big Dog

a friend of mine's husband is 52 years old and in good shape. He got a replacement and 6 weeks later he ran a 5K. Hip replacements are no biggie. Just make sure you keep the extra weight off and do exactly what they say (except for the no dog thing). Get a second opinion, there are many orthopedic surgeons out there.

11. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

all i am going to say is if you wait till your fully healed,there shouldn't be no problem what so ever.

prayers are on the way for a safe and speedy recovery.

12. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

I had a gym teacher in elementary school, and she had two "new" hips. She did pretty well.