1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dogs and fireworks

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by lockjaw, Jun 27, 2007.

1. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

just thought to throw this in..years ago i had a apbt that was afraid of fireworks..he would break through the window if he had to to get in the house..the dogs i have now are the opposite they go nuts trying to get fireworks...ok so how do your dogs react?

2. I'll have my 1st 4th with a new pup this year, but I know that the noise that is produced every fourth wreaks havoc on a dogs ears. I used to live in an urban area with over 800,000 people, and after the back yard displays and the big fourth extravaganza you hear alot of howling K-9's for a long time afterwards...we used to put our dogs in the house when I was a kid to prevent any of that!

3. clutch billups

clutch billups Big Dog

last year i took clutch to the teal lake fire works and he was fine with all the people and the little fire crackers and shit ... but when the big ones went off i thought he was gunna come out of his skin trying to get to them he went bolistic it was insane i actully had to walk him back to the car ... and on the way there there was a group of drunkards and he was barking the entire time walking along lunging and what have you ... well the group of drunkards started yelling "GET EM BOY GET EM" oh boy he erupted it was crazy so i think ill take him down to the park but put him in the car before the big show this year as to avoid that ... it was very embarassing ....

4. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

I keep mine inside in their crates. Try to play the radio or tv to take their minds off of the noise. They do pretty well, but they freak out if they are outside when they start going off. I had neighbors shooting fireworks into my yard last year. Think I may have to go buy some of those big ass mortars for this year.

5. Phebes

Phebes Guest

I live a few miles from Quantico Marine Corp Base and they break out the heavy artillery a few times a month. The house bounces on the foundation and you think the windows are going to shatter. My dogs pay no attention to the artillery and never seem to care about gunfire, so the 4th is just another day to them.
    [​IMG]

6. Phebes

Phebes Guest

The last house we lived in was in a suburban area and the neighbors kept setting off bottle rockets that kept landing in our pool so my husband set off a 1/4 stick of dynamite. To funny, it was so loud. The whole neighborhood was completely silent for at least a half hour after the blast.
    I didn't know he was going to do it and I was in the house at the time. I had no idea what had happened until my husband and son-in-law came in the back door laughing their butts off.

7. Fedor23

Fedor23 Big Dog

my dog doesn't care much, when I practice on my drums she sleeps near them

8. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Stockey for the most part just ignores them. Same with thunder.

9. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Loki doesn't seem to be bothered by the noise (from inside the house, since I keep her away when they're being shot off outside). But last year you could see a fireworks display from the window in my office area, and she really didn't care for the crazy lights. Probably didn't know what to think of them them. She barked a bit and then decided she should just leave the room.

10. Suki

Suki Guest

mine is HORRIBLE!!! i mean REALLY bad. break out the crate, blast the fan and pray it drowns most of the noise out....
    same with thunder storms.....kinda sux actually!!!!:eek: .....
    only dog i've ever owned that was like this
    and yes, she breaks thru windows, (3 now) as well....
    that problem has since been fixed by opaquing(sp?) out all the lower halves.....:rolleyes:
    thank GOD for chains!!!!!!:D

11. looWhen I was a young boy I had a GSD-Lassi (Colli) mix. Man that was a very tough boy, he he kicked some a sses around(other dogs, luckily we had no Bulldogs in the neighborhood ). But if, for example, an airplane broke the sonic barrier through .... b a n g! .... then this dog thousand deaths has died. Then he panted, wanted only home and was a poor brocken dog.If children with her toys guns played ... bang! bang! then it was the same problem . Every turn of the year was the hell for this dog . However, my Bulldogs piss the hell coldly. I have gone with my boys already at precisely 0.00 o'clock (New Year's Eve) through our street (and believe me it was war) and the both have looked only with interest. (0% of fear). If somebody had told to me such a thing before, I would have said he lies. Incredibly. :D

12. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

All my dogs act a fool with the fireworks.I just put them in crates with the t.v. on and put blankets or a towel over them.It's crazy because my dog Joe and my brothers dog ,cisco ,will stand right next to us with shotguns going off and dont even flinch,dogs are strange!

13. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

We prescribe ALOT of Ace around the 4th of July and New Years at work. Owner sedate their dog to prevent the dog from hurting themselves during those times of year.

My dogs dont seem to be bothered by it.