1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dumb dog

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by chloesredboy, Jul 20, 2007.

1. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

Does anyone else have a problem with a dog inhaling its food so fast that it doesnt even chew it ,then throw it back up 5 min later?Chloe has just started doing this and i know there is nothing medically wrong with her,she's never acted like that before and nothing in her diet has changed.I seriously doubt that she just that famished ,but,I dont know maybe I should feed her more?any ideas?

2. Scratchy

Scratchy Guest

My male is 1yr and 2months old and he has been eating like that since we got him at the age of 4 months. Apparently the breeder neglected him and didnt feed him as much because he didn't see what I saw in him and guess what? He turned out to be one hell of a dog if I may say so myself. Anyway, one thing I haven't considered trying is upgrading to large chunks. Right now they are all on an "all stages" kibble and the bits are kinda small. If u find any remedies to the madness please post it. I'm sure many people have this problem, especially with puppies. I wouldn't suggest increasing the kibble as that may get her to a point where she becomes spoiled and overfed. Always stick to the bag recommendations.

3. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

As long as your dog's physical condition has not changed, i.e. looks like their loosing weight, I wouldn't change the amount the dog is fed.

When I have a problem with a dog that eats to fast, I start putting their food spread out on the ground instead of in a bowl. They then have to take the time to search out and pick up each peice of kibble. Works very well if done outside in the grass, then they really have to work for it. ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. Mary_Jane

Mary_Jane Big Dog

My dog is a rescue and was very neglected in the past. She never chews any food no matter the size of it and she eats really fast. So i just put water over the kibble and that's it, no more problems :)

5. MajorPain

MajorPain Big Dog

I had the same problem with my dog. I asked the vet what to do and she said try feeding him though out the day. Some in the morning some in the afternoon and some at night just like a human. She said “ imagine how you would act if you only eat once or two time a day”

6. Scratchy

Scratchy Guest

In order for this to work you can't have a picky eater and I don't so I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

7. twiztidpitz

twiztidpitz Top Dog

When my male Bud started that, I would let him get a few bites then take it away for a sec so he could swallow it, then give it back, then take it away, and so on till he's done. It worked out well, he now takes his time eating b/c he thinks im going to take it away if he eats to fast.

8. There is a bowl that you can get that has 3 big circle prongs in the middle of the bowl, it slows the dogs down from eating that way....Let me see if I can find it for you....they work really well, I had to use one before.

9. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

that was the exact thing i was going to recomend,it nips it in the bud real quick because they have to eat around those big pegs.but don't cut back on the feed just give what he needs to maintain a proper weight.also you need to get a bowl like was posted quick to try and nip it other wise you run the risk of bloat when the dog gets older.

10. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Never seen one of those. Interesting. Looks like it would work. Doesn't look like they make it in stainless though, which is what I prefer.

11. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

actually when i went into Midland and popped into the whacky dog store i mean petsmart sorry bout that,they had one in stainless steel.or what you could always do if you have a welder is get you some new bowles or if yours are in good shape still and weld you some pegs in there in about 10 minutes.that works as well.

12. twiztidpitz

twiztidpitz Top Dog

Those are so cool looking! I need a couple of those.

13. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

Thanks everyone,I just ordered two of them,my Aussie pup does it also ,but I thought he woould grow out of it but maybe this will be better for him.And ild timer,i was thinking the same thing,i have friend who works at a machine shop and is allways making cool stuff,i see if he cant figure something out with stainless.

14. Scratchy

Scratchy Guest

15. Maybe, but as was said before, you could always set in concrete as many others do. If they are only allowed to have the bowl for feeding time ONLY, then it shouldn't be a problem with them chewing it up...thats what we do/did with a couple of ours.

16. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

I'm not worried about chewing as i always pick up dishes as soon as dinner is over,I just like sainless steel because its so much easier to clean than plastic.

17. It is very much, but as long as it serves it purpose! LOL

18. thedude04

thedude04 Top Dog

when gunner was a puppy he had the same proplem i found useing some ice cubes in his food so he had to eat around them really helped him slow down alot its free and it wouldnt hurt to try