1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Ear Cropping

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Chainlyf, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Chainlyf

Chainlyf Pup

I met these guys from Virginia and California; they said that the people who breed pits back where they're from crop the ears on there own. I was wondering if this is true???If so, would anyone be willing to share their method of how that is done?

I paid a vet 200 per dog to get two of my males cropped. I got them done at two different vets and each crop looks different. They both look great, but I was wondering if there is a proper way a crop ear is suppose to look???

2. x'ed

x'ed Pup

i have a question too. what is the oldest age it is ok to crop a pits ears? mine is about a year and i haven't really had the spare cash for it but i want to do it now. thanks.
    mike

3. i think the oldest u can get it done is like 4 months........i think....

4. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Depends on the vet, there was a vet in Maryland that would do it at any age, but, remember, this is a bloody surgery, is it really worth it??? My opinion...No.

BB

5. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

A year is way to long

It really depends on the vet but average age is 8 to 16 weeks depending

Yes..some people do crop their own ears however I would advise you to keep having the vet do it if you must (really..theres no reason to have the ears done unless you show AKC or UKC) Its a painful proceedure that is nothing more than cosmetic surgury. Bad crop ears can lead to problems..bleeding, infection and sometimes behavorial problems

but then you knew all that.

6. badnews_VA

badnews_VA Big Dog

i think a year is too old, i'd just let them be. he/she has had them this long, no need to bother them now

7. erm may i ask why u wanna crop em anyway? leave the dog alone, tis all bullshit

8. CRG

CRG Top Dog

cheeky if tis cannot respond with out being rude then keep your comments to tis self.

9. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

Personaly, I like ears... dont see any real reason in cropping the ears... but to answer your questions...
    yes, peaple do do it at home.. but I can imagion its not pretty... and i wouldnt allow anyone to do that to my dog...
    There are different ways of cropping.. some like the "fight crop" were there is hardly anything left at all... some like the small, pointy triangle, or the "doberman" look.. all depends on how you want it to look I sappose...
    but yes, I have heard from vets that it is a very bloody thing... [​IMG]

10. mobster

mobster Pup

i think its up 5 months old for the dog to have its ear cropped. more than that, more cash and more problem because the dog scratches more often its wounded ears.

11. Chainlyf

Chainlyf Pup

Thanks for all replies. I was just curious because I heard those guys talking about it.