1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

evo dog food

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by JoeyNzoey, Dec 12, 2009.

1. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

I don't understand why everyone thinks it's too much protein. :confused: If you add water and bring the percentage of moisture up to about 70%, the protein will go down to just 14%. That is not high at all. Are you all arguing that raw will damage a dog's kidneys too? Because raw is much higher in protein than any kibble.

If the myths that "too much protein is harmful to the kidneys" and that "EVO is too high in protein" were true, my dog wouldv'e been dead a long time ago. :rolleyes: She is on Potassium Bromide which puts stress on the kidneys as it is. Any extra stress (like excessive protein) would probably cause her kidneys to fail.

2. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

Whats the point of paying all that money only to add tons of water to it to make it seem more like raw protein? When you can have the real thing with all its digestive enzymes and water for a fraction of the cost. Raw is not much higher in protein than any kibble. It is lower in protein than most kibbles and especially EVO. Lean muscle, regardless of the animal is comprised of approximately 21% protein, 73% water, 5% fat, and 1% ash(the mineral component of muscle). No one is saying protein in excess amounts is bad. It is the form, dried up heat compressed, lifeless little balls of protein that's more difficult for a dogs kidneys to process. I'm not saying a dog will keel over after eating EVO for a few years but its got to eventually take its toll.

3. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Good post. I agree about the form of the protein being harmful, definitely. However, no one but you made mention of the form but, instead, the amount of protein. That was why I felt the need to post what I did.

J&Z, what is the reason you can't feed raw?

4. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

Ah ok gotcha. ;)

5. I agree,but not everyone is willing,able or capable to feed raw.Would you agree that EVO is a decent choice for those that choose to feed kibble but would still like to feed a grain free diet?

6. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

For those that know about raw and who still choose not to, it mostly boils down to laziness, lack of caring, or inconvenience.

No, I do not agree that EVO is a decent choice for kibble feeders for the reasons stated in my post above.

7. Barkada27

Barkada27 Pup

great posts Scratchin Dog.

Actually, the proposed-hazard aspect of the high protein combined with the fact that Evo is a dry, processed kibble was mentioned in previous posts... it almost goes without saying when referring to the high protein levels (especially dry, unnatural amounts of protein) in various foods, and how it affects the kidneys, when you're talking about a completely dry feed formula. I don't think dogs were biologically designed to process excessive proteins in an unnatural form that they would not naturally eat it in. just my opinion though

8. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

very interesting...well I have to agree that over the research I had done over a period of time I still cannot come up with a conclusion of this protein madness. The reason I am not able to feed raw is because I am unemployed and unfortunately my parents provide her with the kibble. With that being the case, I have to do my best with making sure she is obtaining the highest nutrition from a kibble form. So crazy k-9 how long were you feeding evo? just yesterday I purchased her innova red meat kibbles and I have decided to give one cup of the innova and once cup of the evo. I mixed in about a cup of boiled white rice to hopefully ease her runs but I can be certain that her energy if anything has increased or is strongly stable rather then any other negativity.;)

9. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

I was feeding EVO over a year mixing it with the water. It was pointless. spend all that money to watter it down :rolleyes:. made no since so I'm back to Candae for the momnet till I find a better kibble or get with this raw thing. I don't have a deep freezer or a grinder but will see what I can do about that in the next month or so.

Vic

10. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

I don't understand what you mean by "It was pointless. spend all that money to watter it down :rolleyes:. made no since so I'm back to Candae"

Adding water to kibble does not make it any different or downgrade the kibble....it is actually better for your dog and helps in digestion.

yIS

11. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

I read and was told that adding watter to Evo helped decrease the protien and was better on the kidneys. I was buying Evo because of the Protien. it seems stupid to buy the food because of all the protien and then try and dumb it down with water. So figured it was time for a change.

Hope that made more since

Vic

12. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

I am also unemployed and responsible for my own dog and still choose to feed raw. Its cheaper than a high quality kibble and better for the dog. I spend about $25-30 per month and I get to choose the ingredients. Those are human grade ingredients. If I could find a meat wholesaler, it would cost even less. I'm not leaving my dogs health up to some kibble manuf. What are you paying for that EVO? $60-70.?
    Why dont you have your parents buy the raw then? :confused:

If your dog is having problems with the innova EVO why are you forcing the issue? Looks like you are desperate to make it work. :rolleyes:

There are other kibbles that are better.
    Here are two. These are the only ones I would feed if I absolutely had to feed kibble.

Gaeaâ„¢ All Life Stages Formula
    Dog Lovers Gold

What you are calling negativity is the truth about high protein kibble foods. Its unnatural. Dogs were not meant to process high protein, dry kibble balls. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2009
  13. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

I fed regular EVO for a few months. She did fine on it but I wanted to change up the protein sources a bit so I switched to RM. Shes been eating the EVO RM for a bout a year Id say. Despite only feeding 1/2 cup twice a day, she has gained 10 pounds since starting it. :eek: I cut out one feeding, about 3 months ago, so she's now been getting only 1/2 cup a day. I still haven't fully switched to raw yet. I have an order of mice (for the cat), chicks, quail, and rabbits being shipped out in the new year though. :D Some pros of feeding EVO: She had a chronic infection that cleared up on this food, her coat got softer (which I didn't think was even possible lol!), and she is pooping less. She has been gasier on RM compared to the regular chicken & turkey, but still less then when on Canidae.

14. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Why are these better to you? Just curious...
    Each dog is an individual so some might do better on these foods, but I would prefer to not feed any grains. These both have rice in them.

15. wisconsingame

wisconsingame Big Dog

if u give her plain Yogurt or cottage cheeze it will help with her runs. Bc u r giving extra Bacteria. I also use to feed evo but i coundnt see any benifits from it and the shits never went away after 2 weeks so i when back to Diamond

16. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

Yes true. Some dogs do good on Ol' Roy but I think the majority of dogs do better on a better quality food. The reason I like these foods is that they have a normal amount of protein with only rice as a filler. I also prefer not to feed grains that is why I feed raw. However, rice is the least likely to cause any kind of allergic reaction.

Typically most "grainless" foods are too high in protein and will still contain fillers & carbs other than rice such as alfalfa meal or potatoes etc.
    If the food has a correct amount of protein you will also find fillers, carbs and grains in there besides rice such as:
    barley,oatmeal,millet,beet pulp,tomato pomace, alfalfa, peas, apples etc.

I think these foods are a good compromise of correct protein levels and a single carb source. They are very much like what the old Canidae did so great with.

17. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

goodness am I to understand that if you don't feed raw then you don't fully care for your dog? I HIGHLY doubt that's the case but if you see it as that way it's the same situation that if all mother's don't feed organically to their children 24/7 then she doesn't care as well? the reason I cannot force my parents to buy all the raw ingredients is because I just can't force them and if kibble was this dangerous enough to feed a dog to kill it then maybe I would enforce it but is it really this big of a fuss of a life and death situation? I am fully aware of it being a TOP solution (raw), but it doesn't become anymore complicated then I just cannot at the time. Actually the bag costs just as much as the innova bag that I have been feeding her which is about $30. It's not that I am forcing anything but if she is willing to dig into it and have more energy then obviously I know besides the runs it's benefiting her more then your making it sound. Good news she had solid feces this morning I believe the white rice had helped. Correct me if I am wrong but aren't some human foods that are good for us capable of causing an upset stomach here and there?

18. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

That's good yet bad for the quick weight gain :p but yes I probably will see for the rest of this week if she'll continue to do well with the half and half one being the evo rm and the other being the innova rm. I can agree with you her coat is looking much more brighter and she actually is not shedding as much as well! plus as I mentioned her energy is definitely stable on high :D even as we are in the keep. So obviously you chose to feed kibble as well because I was feeling threatened as a bad owner for doing just that :rolleyes:

19. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

The problem with evo insnt that it is to high in protien but when you dehydrate the protien and add heat to it in processing it also kills the emmzyes need to break the protien down making it hard on the dogs kidneys. This is something that cant be seen in just in a couple yrs....it may effect the animal very long term like whe its a 9 year old dog and just doent seem to healthy.This problem is with all kibble but when its 42% protien its even tougher to break down the protien now. I feed chicken necks yogurt 1/2 a vitamin turnip greens ...rice in the winter(brown rice being better is a farce read the bag same nutrtional value) white rice also will keep mice and most birds off the feed to. I also will save fats from cooking and jar it and scoop it on the feed from bacon or chicken.

20. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

well...yeah. What I'm saying is that if you know raw feeding is best and you have the means to do it and still choose to feed kibble, then you dont fully care for your dog. Same as if a mom knows that fresh unprocessed food is good and yet chooses to feed her kids McDonalds every day do you think she really cares for her kids? Is she really looking out for their well being?

Obviously you want to do your best for your dog and if you live with your parents then you have to abide by their rules. Thats understandable.
    No its not going to kill your dog overnight but maybe it might take a few years off her life later down the road.

I dont understand why you think EVO is the "golden dogfood". Its causing loose stool and it costs $30.00 for a 13 lb bag. How long does that last? 2 weeks maybe. Benefitting her besides the runs? LOL. Why because she has a little extra energy. Is that worth an upset tummy? What happens when you take away the rice and she gets the runs again? If anything leave her on the food she was doing good on. And no, human foods that are good for you do not cause an upset stomach. LOL.