1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

evo dog food

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by JoeyNzoey, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

I often feed kibble(TOTW) in the morning then in the evening either raw chicken leg, breasts, back or tilapia(fish) fillet.

2. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

yeah since crazy k9 had mentioned previously if it would be possible for me to throw in some raw chicken legs with her kibble, I thought about it and I am wiling to try it but I am just wanting to make sure this won't cause any specific harm. Since scratchin dog just stated that there are varying opinions and it is up to myself if I should try it and see if my dog will tolerate it.....I was considering the chicken leg packs from costco I believe it's the foster farms brand, would that be ok to use?

3. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

yeah I am considering to mix in chicken legs, do you usually feed it whole? since I did mention wanting to try a kibble/raw diet I would be chopping up the raw chicken legs and mixing it with her kibble. By the way your avatar dog reminds me a lot of my girl :D

4. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

That would be fine to use. You could also use chicken wings as they are a little easier to chew up. I always chop the leg in two. Its not really necessary but gives me peace of mind cause the leg bone is kinda thick.

5. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Top Dog

:rolleyes:damn i was hoping you would spill the beens cuz im on kibble as well mix with a bit of raw

6. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

i'll get a pack of 6 in chicken legs and just give it whole. mostly thawed but a bit frozen so that he takes his time with it.

7. determination

determination Big Dog

can i PLEASE get your recipe that is one good lookin dog

8. determination

determination Big Dog

that is one good lookin dog

9. THANKS! I am very proud of him!! :)

10. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Do you feed once or twice a day? If twice, feed one meal kibble and the other raw. If once, just make sure to soak the kibble well to help aid in digestion. I would feed whole foods. Its a good workout for the dog to chew up the bones.

Just FYI, your dog will probably swallow big pieces of bone like mine does. Dogs raised on kibble have to learn to chew. :rolleyes: It can be a little unsettling to watch, lol.

11. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

I see ok because for our family gatherings and such we tend to purchase the packs of either the chicken legs or wings since they run larger in count at costco, so it wouldn't be any harm in cutting up the legs or wings instead of giving it whole would it? regarding portion size how many raw legs or wings would you recommend to be given for her meal? remember I am still wanting too keep some kibble along so would you say maybe a cup of the kibble and a chicken leg and chicken wing?

12. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

yes I feed her once in the evening and soaking the kibble sounds like an easier thing to do along with raw for the digestion part I will take your advice. The only reason I would like to chop up the raw portions is to have her still consume the kibble and raw together because I have a strong feeling if she enjoys the raw itself she will then only seek raw and nothing else :p

13. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

I dont have that problem. My dog will eat anything and everything! lol

Good luck. It's definitely a step in the right direction if you feed even just a portion raw.

14. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

Yes its fine to chop them up if you want to. You can start with a leg and a wing but if you see she is gaining weight then just cut back on the kibble a little bit. If she seems like shes still hungry or starts dropping weight, then add another wing or leg.

15. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

haha well in her older puppy stage she started to become slightly picking during meal times but lately she enjoys her meals greatly more then likely because she is working through a keep but thank you I am glad to see something that is available for me to try with a positive note.:)

16. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

ok then I shall try this out I am glad we came to terms with something I can manage, one last question is there a need to clean or wash down the raw legs or wings? or do I just take it straight from the package and feed?

17. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

I just take it from the package and feed it. Just make sure you wash the bowl with soap and hot water after feeding to help get rid of any salmonella bacteria that may be present. Wash your hands and disinfect anything else that comes in contact with the raw chicken.

18. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

ok then thank you for everything scratchin dog, has your dog(s) ever become ill from any diseases from the meat(s)? unfortunately I am aware of how corrupted the food industry is with most meats and such so I just gave that a bit of a thought just now especially since most people I have come across on here seem to have a good quality meat supplier most likely organic.

19. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Yeah, the food industry is quite sickening. :( I just watched the documentary "Food, Inc." Anyone seen it? I wasn't suprised really but at the same time I was still disgusted. :mad:

Obviously it's best to get organic (not USDA "organic" but true, farm raised animals) from farmers markets but since thats probably not possible in your case, just try to pay attention to labels in the store. Do some research on the definitions of "100% Natural" and "No added growth hormones" or "Antibiotic-free." They are decieving.

20. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

No, he has never been ill from eating any raw meat.