1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Feeding during a keep?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by tigerboy5, Dec 6, 2010.

1. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

Elijr can you explain how you accomplish that because i am completely dumbfounded by your post.

2. punch650

punch650 Big Dog

Me too...........

3. Irish Pitbull

Irish Pitbull Top Dog

I don't think that's too hard to understand Tigerboy5.

He means, if you buy a dog, don't go jumping straight into a keep with him with the same foods you feed the rest of your yard. Try some stuff out and make sure everything works well before launching into the keep properly.

That's what I think he means.

4. EliJr

EliJr Pup

That's exactly what I meant.

5. EliJr

EliJr Pup

If you own 10 dogs, and you feed your 10 dogs the exactly same way, and train them the exactly same way. Well. You probably won't get the most out of every dog on your yard. There's no universal method that works on every dog on the planet. There's a difference between owning a dog and knowing a dog.

6. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

I had a feeling thats what you meant and that leads me to this point. Lets say you buy a 2yr old dog how many different brands of food(dry), supplements, and keeps do you think you would have to go through before you found out what worked best for that dog? Not trying to be an asshole or anything elijr but that method isnt something that I or anyone that I know has ever done so I'm just trying to see how you go about it.

7. EliJr

EliJr Pup

That's up to you. In every way you could interpret the meaning of those words. You should do it the way you feel good about it and i'll stick with my way. Don't feel like being an asshole, I got no problems with questions. I tried about 7different brands of food. They for sure made a difference, some of them sucked, 2 were good. Some of them made my dog weak as shit. Some of them give her loads of energy. So yeah, there's a difference.

8. EliJr

EliJr Pup

What I also said, between the lines - You could stick with the same old method proven to be good. And that could give you success, even making you become the greatest of all. Still, you dont know if you're actually squeezing out every percent of that dogs potential or if there's more to give. Some people is satisfied just as long as there's success, Im not.

9. tigerboy5

tigerboy5 Big Dog

I know that supplements and foods are different. Since you tried 7 diff foods on your female did you also do 7 diff keeps. The only way you can tell if a food is making your dog weak is to put it in a full keep. Doing 2 weeks of work with a dog wont tell you if that food can sustain it at the peaking point of a keep.

10. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

I use Exceed chicken and rice with all my dogs. Never been disappointed. .

11. Yas

Yas Big Dog

Would agree that no two dogs are the same (exactly) but all bull breeds are fast twitch dominant anaerobic animals and all dogs are carnivores. If you have knowledge on conditioning and nutrition then the differences are small.

12. EliJr

EliJr Pup

There's no need to do a full keep on every brand. Some brands got such poor quality that you really doesnt need to use it for to long to see that it's shit in the bag. On the other hand, I dont keep my dog on a chain between the keeps, I allways keep her good conditioned, which demand a good dose of activation on regular basis. I guess some people can see the obvious, but what's obvious to one person sure aint obvious to another person. It's like talking music with a tone deaf person. Like I said, you should feed and train your dog the whey you enjoy it and think is the best way for your dogs. I know brands I had but would never use again Royal Canin, Eukanuba, James well beloved. Pure shit. But that's just my opinion. Im sure there's people on this forum that love these brands. Take care fella!

13. EliJr

EliJr Pup

That's pretty much my idea of feeding my dog, my dog is a carnivore, therefore - No rice, no corn, no oats, no meal. No fillers at all, just as natural as possible.

14. WWII

WWII Banned

Omnivores with a carnivorous bias.

15. I equate choosing between brands of commercial dogfood to choosing wether to stuff your face at McDonalds or Burger King, same shit with a different marketing strategy.

Also I think that if you have to ask a question about a keep on a public message board, you should not be even thinking about a keep much less about to start one.
    There is more than ample information on different keeps available. You pick one you like and work with it to adapt it to your dog. As you gain experience you will develop your own methods.

16. getz305

getz305 Pup

Red Cell has been "proven" to cause cancer in dogs

17. EliJr

EliJr Pup

Very true. People sometimes look at my dog and say "she look so fit, what brand do you feed her with". And I reply "Brand? All dry dog foods is shit. I use Orijen or Taste of the wild when Im in a hectic schedule or dont have the possibility to give her that other stuff that I consider being food". I would never feel satisfied by feeding my dog dry food only. Only dry food that I would actually recomend anyone on fulltime use would be K9 Natural. That's freeze dried food that you put in water. It contain alot of good stuff. Other than that, Barf is the way to go. In my country we got a barf brand that sell barf-food. Dried raw meat in burgers, and you can choose from beef, chicken, deer, moose, lamb and so on. That's all for me. Take care.

18. Yas

Yas Big Dog

Appreciate your point bud but would have to disagree, humans are omnivores with a carnivorous bias and dogs are carnivores, JMO.
    Reasons for my point of view:
    Humans have obnivore teeth, there is no physiological need for carbs in the human diet, 75% of the population are intolerant to carbs, before commercial shipping populations in cold climates had very limited access to vegetables, although fibre/fiber is very important in the human diet.
    Dogs have carnivore teeth, cannot digest degest cellulose so cannot digest vegetables unless blended by a human or broken down and taken from the stomach of a dead animal, there are a lot of dogs around in perfect health and fantastic condition that are on a meat only diet (obviously the quality of the meat makes a massive difference).

19. WWII

WWII Banned

I need to know where you guys are 1) getting all the money to feed raw or 2) where you are shopping that it's cheaper/equal to dry food? I get dry food for ~$25/50lbs. The cheapest meat I can find is 73/27 ground meat, $2/lb that lasts me less than a week between 3 dogs. Not to mention other food I would need to feed them.

20. WWII

WWII Banned

Not necessarily disagreeing. Just stating that they can do well on either, but are optimized for meat. Unlike a cat that is strictly carnivorous. I also agree with the carb/gluten intolerance of the human population. I know I do wayyyyyyy better on a ketogenic diet and believe most people would, also. But, I love my bread and pizza :(