1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Feeding during a keep?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by tigerboy5, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

i think its a great idea

2. Raw chicken the hole quarters bone n all never had a problem n I always got excellent results.

3. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

i wanted to bump this up i have been on here a few years and this has been on of the best ones. i hatd to see it lost. i injoy hearing others on this.

4. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Putting two through a keep right now. Peak Performance II and raw. Chicken thighs+drumsticks, hearts nd gizzards and ground beef 85/15

5. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

you should do well.

6. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Yes I like the results I've gotten with peak in the past. Most recently I put one through a keep on mostly Peak with only a bit of grain free kibble. About a 87/13 split. Dog was in great condition.

7. alday

alday Pup

doode most of the dog food are made by meat powder and grains, just feed it natural and as fresh as you can do it and see what meat fits your dog, and you can add a spoon of flax seed oil, and some boiled eggs, boil the cause you have to break some molecules with the heat... i feed two times a week half of a little glass of green vegetables more brocoli the spinach idea is for adding iron but recently scientifics had found that when spinach was analized the scientifics mistaken with a 0 in their counts so it has iron but no so much you can feed iron pills... the nutritients always will be better if they are natural and fresh, they aren't degradated and add a multivitamins just as bayer equlibrium to complement...you syill keep it simple just feed them balanced like healthy people... dogs are omnivorous but mustly carnivorous... think also in what does they preys have in their stomach, grains grass and that stuff ... is not so difficult actually and youll see much more solid muscles in the same dog that if you feed royal canine pro plan or eukanuba

8. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

I feed very similar to what naus posted with a few more added ingredients but that's pretty much the base minus the beef

9. You Start off on your pre Keep. On the pre keep you dog should be 2-3lbs over show weight.
    MORNING In the morning feed them there Conditioning meal ( use as many organic foods if possible) such as greens, raw beef, chicken.
    and 1 bottled water.

IN THE EVENING you start your conditioning (hand walk for 30 min, weight dog, weightpull 5-10 min, treadmill 5-10 min, flirstpole 5-10min, put on chain, feed 30min after dog completly recovers, praise him) u should do this FOR ABOUT 8 WEEKS them switch him to chicken diet instead of beef

10. Just a short explanation, am not getting in dept

11. joelkckit

joelkckit Big Dog

Sir what do use for ur dogs pad? me I use petroleum jelly or ointment wid oil. but if i'm not mistaken some use burnt motor oil? I think mayfield use it ryt? u mean the oil when u change ur oils motor? is that it? tnx. peace;)

12. jacko

jacko CH Dog

[​IMG] anyone tried this , it"s good for roadwork and rough country..

13. hardluck

hardluck Banned

i have never put petroleum or any other type of paw protector type of product on my dogs pads ever. it will soften the paws and will cause damage to them. i know never to run them on rocky roads and take it easy when on the paved streets if im doing roadwork. the keratin on the paws are extremely durable stuff and can take alot of abuse compared to our feet. alot of roadwork builds up good callus on the feet and protects the paws. if your dog is on the chain or kennel most of the time before a keep its pads may be a bit soft and it would be wise to ease the dogs paws into the keep aswell as his lungs.

14. joelkckit

joelkckit Big Dog

sir, I work my dog 1 to 2 hours a day we take different kinds of road, semented road, grassy,sand and rocky road. do u think my dogs paws will still be in good shape even i cut the petroleum or the ointment that I use? tnx. Peace :)

15. jacko

jacko CH Dog

i fogot to add that i have only used this product in the winter when ice ,snow and grit salt can make dogs pads sore .

16. Rampit

Rampit Pup

use pine tar..cheap but effective

17. Rampit

Rampit Pup

prevention too to your dog paws cracks or thin paws

18. cincyboy

cincyboy Big Dog

nice but i used diamond

19. PitbullSA

PitbullSA Pup

Thanks for all the tips and advice from the guys who were willing to share. I understand that there are many "trade secrets" in the keep, but all the experienced dogman had to learn from someone else who was willing to share. Let it be about the better dog and who is willing to invest the effort in the keep to win and not because you have the edge on your secret someone else was willing to teach you and by all means you wanna die with it. Can someone please shed some light on when to cut back on vits and vitB etc, what to keep using through out the keep and even at show day, what to give how far out and when what vits and oils like VIT E etc never to use etc.

20. EliJr

EliJr Pup

Then I will add a comment to all these comments. All dogs are unique! Each and every dog is his own individual. What suits one dog might not suit another one. Therefore - get to know your dog. Before you put your dog on a keep, try him out. Feed him with different food, write down journals on his performance according to how you feed him and train him. It's all about knowing your dog.