1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Female Muscle Building...

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by SSandecki, Oct 18, 2004.

1. SSandecki

SSandecki Pup

My pitbull, which can be viewed in photos is a female, I'd like to start building more lean body mass, or aka muscle, any good ideas? I know taking for walks and playing, but I'm looking for other methods as well, thanks guys.

2. powder925

powder925 Big Dog

high protien diet is key.I also make my dogs sprint up a steep hill to chase a ball(3 times a week I will attach a harrness with weight and walk them up the hill) ,spring pole,swimming,weight pulling are all good.The good thing is it doesn't take much to start building muscle on these dogs. I wouldn't work her to hard untill she is fully matured

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2004
  3. SWAMPER

SWAMPER Pup

it doesn't take much to start building muscle on these dogs.

LOL MOST OF MY FEMALES ARE ALREADY CUT UP JUST FROM NEVER STOPPING LMAO THEY RUN ALL DAY AND NIGHT,THE HIGH PROTIEN DIET WILL HELP GREATLY,ALSO A LIL MILL WORK MAY WORK FOR YOU, AND THERES ALWAYS THINGS THAN CAN HELP THE MUSCLE BUILDING

4. SSandecki

SSandecki Pup

Would attaching a weight to her collar help, maybe a 3-4lbs lock onto it? Also what is a good recommended diet, any suggestions on types of food and how much? I'm aiming to keep her around 50-55lbs.

5. SFK

SFK Top Dog

First, How old is your female? How much does she weigh right now? What kind of condition is she in right now? If she's under 9-10 months do not put any weights on her at all. You would be amazed at the condition just hand-walking can put these dogs in. Also do about 2-3 minutes of flirt work with her every other day. Any good 30/20 food would work. I personally like Exceed.

6. SSandecki

SSandecki Pup

She is a year plus and weights around 35-40lbs I believe, haven't been to the vet,

7. SFK

SFK Top Dog

JMO but I don't think you'll get her to 50 - 55 #s if she's only 35- 40 now & over a year old. Maybe 43-45. I still say hand-walking & flirtpole work will do it right. It just requires some time on your part. Also she is old enough to put on a heavy chain for about 2-3 hours a day to help her build up. but take it slow with adding weight.

8. SSandecki

SSandecki Pup

I'm new at dog training, what is a flirt pole method :/

9. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

“ Also what is a good recommended diet, any suggestions on types of food and how much?”
    Feed a premium type of dog food designed for a carnivore. As to how much food to feed that’s all depends on the amount of exercise, stress, weather, and metabolism. <O:p</O:p

“I'm aiming to keep her around 50-55lbs.”
    You can aim all you want genetics and nutrition will determine her size.
    <!-- / message --><!-- pedigree --><!-- / pedigree -->

10. dustin

dustin Pup

what is a flirt pole exactly? i see people talking about it all the time.. what is it?

11. CRG

CRG Top Dog

get a long flexible piece of pvc pipe(6-8 feet long) get a long rope not real thick rope but a good durable rope hook rope up to pvc.then get a hide,rag or something your dog will play with tie it to the other end of the rope.fling it like a fishing pole an have your dog chase around let him catch the toy every once in awhile to keep him intrested.hope this helps

12. SFK

SFK Top Dog

A Flirt Pole is a stick with a piece of string or rope attached with a rag or piece of hide or inner-tube attached to the end that you basically "tease" the dog with. Try to keep it just out of reach in front of them, they will tear ass trying to catch it. VERY IMPORTANT! I know it looks cool to see your dog sailing thru the air trying to catch it but all your doing is taking a chance on injuring your dog. Work the pole on the ground in figure 8s in front of him, it's basically like the dog doing some hardcore ab/sprint work. Also it is Very easy to over-work a dog this way bc they will not want to quit. Limit the amount of work to just a few minutes a day. Like 2-3 minutes starting out. You will be amazed at how quick the dogs get gassed out working this way.

13. SSandecki

SSandecki Pup

My dog loves tug-o-war, I setup a long wooden board between a door frame and tied a rope to it, he can play tug-o-war by herself all day and loves it, also going to try using the flirt pole.