1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

finding the weight

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by gog123, Feb 22, 2010.

1. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

what methods do people use to find the dogs show weight? Ive heard people say bring the dog down in weight by uping the exercise and cutting the food till the weight the dog feels weaker. Others say if your dogs able to do whats required at the end of the keep then the dogs fit enough to show.

Just wondering what you lot on here do? Just want to see how mine would look in condition.

2. popper

popper CH Dog

i dont know about evreyone else but when i increase work i really dont decrease cals unless you are going for extra dry lean look

3. Boze

Boze Top Dog

put him through a practice keep also search for the barney fife keep it has it in there

4. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

increase the work and decrease the food so you find the weight the dogs at its strongest.

Thanks ill look up that keep.

5. rooftopdrop

rooftopdrop Big Dog

heres the best advise i can give find a mentor thats been up and down the road a few times. he's your dog there's no such thing as fit enough!!! if he's 2 pounds under true weight he's not at his best,and if he's heavy he's not at his best. and the weight is just the first step of bringing him ready to show have to prfect a keep that works and works for that dog and the best way for that is to have shown and keept some nutrition,not to mention the training for a year before you even think about showing him. im not pickin on ya at all gog this is just good advise. get a mentor to sho ya the ropes!! your dogs will thank you for it.

6. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

hey no offense or anything taken. I just see it as advice. Its harder than just reading on the net can tell that much already. Best way to learn is to get out and do it, thats what i intend to do. Have got a few mates some well respectd conditioners only a call away just thought id ask how others find it.

7. rooftopdrop

rooftopdrop Big Dog

cool, I wish you good luck!! gog

8. mac 11

mac 11 Banned

The only way I have found, is to put the dog thru a keep. It's hard and taxing, but you will be happy to say my dog is 36 or whatever the weight may be when its all said and done. Any dog can be worked with or without equipment.

9. mfern004

mfern004 Big Dog

I think its important to point out that you shouldn't necessarily be cutting your dog's food while conditioning him. Just feed the dog a good clean diet. Lean protein, some healthy fats and oils, and avoiding foods with grain which is just filler. You wouldn't put Regular Unleaded 89 octane in a Formula1 car ;)

If the dog is eating "healthy" and working hard in the keep he'll get down to the right weight. I read something by (I think it was) I.M. or Gary Hammonds that talks about seeing ADBA dogs that are actually conditioned to their show weight and then there are other owners who have tried to cut corners and get the dog leaner by feeding less (and you can tell the difference!).

10. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

Was only thinking feed less until you find the dogs weight where he keeps strong. Of course you'd be doing pre keep exercise, just walking a good fair amount of miles. Was just wondering if thats a way as i have read of people bringing a dog down then building him back up.

Not got no show or nothing this is purely for me just to have abit of fun and get out there with my dog and see some results. It would just be good to have the dog at his peak.

11. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

his true weight will be his lowest weight of his maximum strength...if he can pull (example) 500lbs. today, normal rest period tonight and pull that weight again tomorrow at 50lbs body weight...then at 48 he can't do that then his weight will be between 49 and 50....finding weight is an art and not science because every dog is different...then the type of worker has to be figured in...the only way to find out is to go thru a keep and see....one pound can be the difference between night and day in some dogs....US1

12. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

Go through the keep and into the weeks just adjust the food according to how the dogs feeling? With the dog and the pulling situation could that weight be different when it comes to using his strength over a distance? Like i said no show or nothing this is purely just for me to learn not going to do that sitting behind a keyboard.

13. popper

popper CH Dog

well yes you would loose muscle that way ... the real skinny look with no muscle

14. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

idk slim, finding the ideal weight is a science too.

15. old time dogman

old time dogman Big Dog

work them hard never cut his feed give them plenty of rest . To start with should take about three months to find his weight properly . :eek:

16. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Don't ever starve a pound off them, Work it off them.

Start the dog off slow and slowly bring the dog up in his work, Your dog should have the most amount of muscle with as least amount of fat as you can get. But take the dog down to much and you will start eating his muscle away.

17. rooftopdrop

rooftopdrop Big Dog

thats exactly what i was saying on the begining of this thread thats y the best thing he can do is FIND A MENTOR.his dog will thank him.