1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Flea's and tick control..

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by NatureBoy, Sep 1, 2016.

1. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Big Dog

What are you all using to help fight external parasites? I've never had any issues up until recently. I noticed one of my athletes scratching so I had a look and noticed he had fleas so I've treated him with some stuff from the vet. I applied it as directed in between his shoulder blades. Hopefully I get the situation under control before it becomes a major issue. Any advice on how to approach this battle.
    I'm thinking the fleas are coming from my neighbor who has two old labs that look like they could use some tlc.

Thanks in advance folks

2. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Lots of hard work or either spend the money on the best flea stuff to put on them they make.

treezpitz likes this.
  3. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Like bama said it takes a lot of hard work to stay on it. Depends on location on how much work it may take as well. In the city it was little effort compared to now when the dogs and us live in the woods, which obviously have a lot of fleas and ticks.

IMO, it has to be a full head on approach to gain any ground. Dogs themselves, their house/bedding, and their living area should be treated. If you wash the dog and then treat it along with the bedding/house and their living area then you should have them knocked out at that point. Now it's keeping them away/off. That means a routine that must be kept tight. Spray the dogs regularly and do the above and you should be fine. I'm in flea/tick country and it has been manageable up to this point. Keep us posted on what works for you.

4. treezpitz

Also, I have had to switch chemicals because it seemed the fleas had built a resistance at some point in the summer last year. I haven't had a problem with them this year though.

bamaman likes this.
  5. pitbulld0gs

pitbulld0gs Top Dog Staff Member

My biggest problem is mosquito's man, them little bastards are terrible in my yard. I fight them every damn year. After about the beginning of July, i can't even work my dogs in my yard, they just chew me and the hounds up. First day today we had good weather, i let Broly out to go hit the springpole for a few and within minutes my legs were covered.

I have done everything to prevent them like keeping anything that holds water empty and dry. Just fighting a losing battle.. I always been curious how guys with yards of dogs deal with them little bastards..

As for fleas and ticks we been using advantage for years and never had problem.

6. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

[QUOTEdon't@ffy, post: 752335, member: 35239"]My biggest problem is mosquito's man, them little bastards are terrible in my yard. I fight them every damn year. After about the beginning of July, i can't even work my dogs in my yard, they just chew me and the hounds up. First day today we had good weather, i let Broly out to go hit the springpole for a few and within minutes my legs were covered.

I have done everything to prevent them like keeping anything that holds water empty and dry. Just fighting a losing battle.. I always been curious how guys with yards of dogs deal with them little bastards..

As for fleas and ticks we been using advantage for years and never had problem.[/QUOTE]
    Bud I dont know the exact mixture, but I talked to a pro and he said sugar water and garlic mixed and spray the yard.I don't have a bad mesquito problem.Next time I see him ill see if I can't get some better info for ya.

pitbulld0gs likes this.
  7. wicked13

wicked13 CH Dog

I goto the 99 cent store they sell some flea soap I use one bottle for the dog the other bottle in a bucket of water or spray pump and spray everything down at night so it soaks but I also haven't seen fleas on mines for a long so I just do it for shits and giggles every couple months

8. pitbulld0gs

Thanks Bama, that would be great bro! I heard Listerine works and we tried it but it just don't do shit really lol.. I did try a spray last year, i think i did it to late even though it did cut them down some? Still couldn't work my dogs back there.

9. reddirt redneck

reddirt redneck Big Dog

Trifexis, a monthly pill, bout 30 bucks from vet.. Internal & external, using it 3 years now

10. treezpitz

That'd be real hard to afford on a yard of dogs. Shoot, just 10 dogs is $300/month :eek:.

reddirt redneck likes this.
  11. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Big Dog

Thanks for the help folks.. This is a first for me and hopefully the last! Has anyone tried
    diatomaceous Earth with any success?

12. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I couldn't really pinpoint an exact reason I never have to deal with fleas or ticks other than I use a combo of things for other pests that may help in keeping those 2 pests at bay as well. I honestly have never had to deal with fleas or ticks. Guess I'm just lucky lol. I use seven dust in my chain spots twice a year, early spring and mid summer. I also put it in the cedar chip bedding. I use home defense outdoor around the parimeter of the dogs area as well as around the dog houses themselves once a year in early spring. Bronco spray twice a week from early spring to the beginning of fall. Never have fleas, never have ticks. Spiders, (non venomous), Mosquitoes and biting flys are my biggest pests here. The flys are a new thing to me this year. Guess the bronco spray just isn't really working much this year. Going to try the tags they put in cows ears next year. This season for bugs is wrapping up here and in month no insects will be around except the common household spiders indoors. D.E is good to use for the fleas but the problem with it is once it gets wet it's no longer effective.

pitbulld0gs and treezpitz like this.
  13. treezpitz

I spread it around the chain spot every so often and that's what I use in the dog bedding. Like AGK said, once it's wet it's no good. But then I'd assume the same for sevin dust. Not sure on that one.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  14. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

The reason is, one gets into an exoskeleton and kills them by foreign body damage, the DE is like tiny shards of shell that work their way into an exoskeleton and the dust is a pesticide. Kills by at attacking the nervous system of insects I believe. Works whether wet or dry, its typically used for gardens.

pitbulld0gs and treezpitz like this.
  15. reddirt redneck

reddirt redneck Big Dog

Yes sir.. Good part is 1 pill will treat 100 pounds so its not as bad,& I dont keep many dogs nowadays

treezpitz and bamaman like this.
  16. BOTP Kennels

BOTP Kennels Big Dog

Any products u can use on a pregnant bitch?

pitbulld0gs likes this.
  17. Robertosilva

Robertosilva CH Dog

Apple Cider Vinegar in a pump spray diluted with water. But then I just have a house dog. There is a yard video with some guy using it somewhere.

BOTP Kennels and pitbulld0gs like this.
  18. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Me either bro,it's to dam expensive these days .Fewer the better for me ,I don't even breed that often.

pitbulld0gs and reddirt redneck like this.
  19. pitbulld0gs

I was thinking about the ACV. Both of my dogs are house dogs, can't leave them out around here where i live, they would be gone within hours, junkies and thieves everywhere.

20. pitbulld0gs

Same here as far as seasons go AGK. About done here to but man is it ever unbearable back there right now.. We just come in and it was horrible, clouds of bugs back there in certain spots. We did have a shit ton of rain though these last couple weeks. I always notice the bugs flying slower and i know it's about time for them little bastards to die off or hide.